is hippo ivory importable?

matt85

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
USA, South Africa, and Namibia
i did a search and nothing came up on this forum or google, all i see is talk of elephant ivory. i plan to hunt hippo next year and it will likely be in Zimbabwe.

so the question is the same as the title, is hippo ivory importable to the US?

thank you
-Matt

Wheels

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Botswana, Namibia, South Africa, Tanzania, Zimbabwe
Matt, as far as I know it is fine from everywhere except Mozambique.

Just make sure the hippo's name isn't Cecil!:whistle:

Enjoy your time planning the hunt.

siml

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
SOUTH AFRICA, BOTSWANA, NAMIBIA, ZIMBABWE, MOZAMBIQUE, ENGLAND, U.S.A
Matt, wheels is correct.

matt85

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
USA, South Africa, and Namibia
thanks!

im gonna get some collars with names on them for my future animals. :P Devil:

-matt

DUGABOY1

Contributor
AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Articles
Member of
Double Rifle Shooter's Society, Life NAHC, NRA,SCI
Hunted
Us, Canada,Zambia, Zimbabwe, South America
i did a search and nothing came up on this forum or google, all i see is talk of elephant ivory. i plan to hunt hippo next year and it will likely be in Zimbabwe.

so the question is the same as the title, is hippo ivory importable to the US?

thank you
-Matt

Mat Hippo teeth are not ivory, but simply teeth, just like a wild hog. They will eventually fall apart over time.
I have a pair that I shot in Zambia back in 1992 and one started popping big chunks off it within a couple of years and the other has split it's full length in that last six months.

Like all teeth they has a dentine outer surface and a softer inner and as they dry the dentine pops off. So they need to be coated with something to retard the drying.

As far as I know they are importable from most countries, but others who have hunted MOS say they are not imported from there, I wouldn't know about that, but this is the first time I have heard of them being not importable from any country. Check with your booking agent or PH to be sure.
..........................Good hunting!

Royal27

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
DSC, NRA, SCI
Hunted
USA - TX, CO, GA, ID. Africa - Zimbabwe, Zambia, and South Africa (Limpopo and EC)
Matt, as far as I know it is fine from everywhere except Mozambique.
Yeah, and if you will recall @Buff-Buster even had problems getting USFWS to let him import his replica hippo from Moz...

That still cracks me up every time I think about it!!! :A Bonk:

I can still just imagine Wes on the phone talking to them.... :A Blowup:

JimP

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA, RMEF
Hunted
US (Utah, Arizona, Idaho, Colorado, Nevada. Canada (British Colombia), South Africa (Eastern Cape)
Mat Hippo teeth are not ivory, but simply teeth, just like a wild hog. They will eventually fall apart over time.
I have a pair that I shot in Zambia back in 1992 and one started popping big chunks off it within a couple of years and the other has split it's full length in that last six months.

Like all teeth they has a dentine outer surface and a softer inner and as they dry the dentine pops off. So they need to be coated with something to retard the drying.

As far as I know they are importable from most countries, but others who have hunted MOS say they are not imported from there, I wouldn't know about that, but this is the first time I have heard of them being not importable from any country. Check with your booking agent or PH to be sure.

It actually is considered ivory. Ivory like regular teeth will dry out in time and crack and fall apart if not preserved. Hippo ivory is second most commonly used ivory after elephant ivory. It is also more dense than elephant ivory and has a finer grain to it which makes it harder to carve. Most of it is used for buttons and inlays because it is so dense and fine grained.

While I don't have any hippo ivory I have quite a few elk ivories and have found quite a few dead heads with the ivories still in the heads. It is next to impossible to remove it from the dead head because as it dries out it turns quite brittle and with crack apart if you try to remove it from the skull.

Buff-Buster

Gold supporter
AH elite
Reaction score
Website
www.mashambanzousafaris.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Houston Safari Club, Gulf Coast SCI, SCI International. Rowland Ward, NRA, RMEF, North American Hunting Club - Life Member, Texas Trophy Hunters
Hunted
Mozambique, South Africa, (Kwa-Zulu Natal, Free State & East Cape), Zimbabwe (Charisa & West Nicholson), U.S.(Texas, New Mexico, LA, Mississippi, Oklahoma, Wyoming & Montana), Canada (Alberta & Saskatchewan) & Argentina (Cordoba)
Yeah, and if you will recall @Buff-Buster even had problems getting USFWS to let him import his replica hippo from Moz...

That still cracks me up every time I think about it!!! :A Bonk:

I can still just imagine Wes on the phone talking to them.... :A Blowup:
And some people wonder why I drink.....jeeze

UKHunter

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
England, Scotland, Wales, Poland, South Africa, Spain, Germany, USA (Wyoming) and Hungary.

If you melt candle wax into the tusks it stops them drying out and cracking as you describe. The same goes for pigs, wild boar, warthogs, etc.

DUGABOY1

Contributor
AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Articles
Member of
Double Rifle Shooter's Society, Life NAHC, NRA,SCI
Hunted
Us, Canada,Zambia, Zimbabwe, South America
It actually is considered ivory. Ivory like regular teeth will dry out in time and crack and fall apart if not preserved. Hippo ivory is second most commonly used ivory after elephant ivory. It is also more dense than elephant ivory and has a finer grain to it which makes it harder to carve. Most of it is used for buttons and inlays because it is so dense and fine grained.

While I don't have any hippo ivory I have quite a few elk ivories and have found quite a few dead heads with the ivories still in the heads. It is next to impossible to remove it from the dead head because as it dries out it turns quite brittle and with crack apart if you try to remove it from the skull.

You may consider it as ivory but it is not ivory. In Africa the only true ivory is Elephant and Wart hog.

As far as carving Hippo teeth, the dentine has to be ground off to get to the softer material under the dentine. The two Grouser teeth that stick straight out between the fighting teeth are much closer to being ivory, and do not have the corrugated surface of the fighting teeth. I suppose we will simply have to agree to disagree on this subject!
................................Good hunting!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GioUno

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Rifle57 wrote on Rimshot's profile.
I bought some bullets from Rimshot and he is good to trade with!
Greetings all! I've been a hunter for 50 years, but only now planning a trip to Africa. I was fortunate and successfully bid on a couple hunts for plains game in SA later this year and next. Also a rare Native Texas (5th generation) and USMC Vet. Hunt safe y'all!
uujm wrote on trg's profile.
I am looking for a Safari Express. Was yours made in New Haven or South Carolina? Any other details you can give me? I am very motivated to buy.
pimes wrote on flatwater bill's profile.
Hello Bill - can you tell me that landowner/ranch/outfitter - Thank you!
Pete0905 wrote on damundsen87's profile.
Hello
Is the Khales 1-6 still for sale?
Thanks
Josh