Is culling more of a job than hunting?

curtism1234

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
I notice there is a very substantial discount for cull zebras at some safari companies. I assume this would be excess young males or females.

As it relates to rug or shoulder mounts, is a cull zebra of equal desire? It seems a slightly smaller rug may actually be of benefit to your room.

Is there a reason you would want a "trophy" zebra instead?

I notice there is a very substantial discount for cull zebras at some safari companies. I assume this would be excess young males or females.

As it relates to rug or shoulder mounts, is a cull zebra of equal desire? It seems a slightly smaller rug may actually be of benefit to your room.

Is there a reason you would want a "trophy" zebra instead?
Great question, I’ve been wondering that myself. Is the trophy zebra the one with the most stripes? The largest skin? Measure skull size? Same with camels? What’s a trophy? Hump diameter? Skin size? Skull size? No one knows or at least isn’t sharing.

Imo any zebra is a trophy zebra. They are absolutely beautiful animals.

the only zebra cull I had an opportunity to participate in.. the hunter was not allowed to keep the hide...

the property had an overpopulation of zebra.. and they were practically giving the hunt away.. but in an effort to cover their costs (still had to have a PH present, use of the truck, accommodation, food, etc..) the outfitter was selling the meat and the hides from the cull zebra that were taken..

I didnt get one that trip, but I would have taken one if the opportunity had presented itself.. for the price they were asking, the experience of the hunt and the photo op at the end would have been trophy enough...

"trophy" zebra is definitely on the "list" for my 2020 hunt though.. the office could use a new rug :)

I have always presumed those stacks of zebra rugs for sale in O R Tambo Airport had been sold to a tannery by a land owner, after culling them?
And the tannery in turn then sells them to a retailer?
This tends to support what mdwest said about the client generally is not permitted to retain any part of a cull animal.

Traditionally a trophy zebra would be an old stallion, typically carrying some scars from fighting and possessing some serious incisors, lion scars would be a bonus....

However depending on what the client wants, a young stallion or even a young mare without scars may be preferred. Also depends on what he/she would like to do with the trophy. Flat skin, shoulder, pedestal etc.

Cull animals could include old stallions(limited), old mares or young animals of either sex, all dependent on what the owner wants taken off. As long as mares are not pregnant the skins could be unique irrespective of gender.

During drought periods zebra are often offered for cull hunts.

Normally, usually, most of the time, if you take the trophy home it is no longer considered a “cull” regardless of species. The concession/land owner will make a return on culls by selling/utilizing the meat, hides, horns, etc.

For instance, I have murdered a bunch of baboons various places, and shot quite a few Oryx for the larder. Decide to take a skull or horns home and one is immediately dealing with the respective trophy list anywhere I have hunted.

A zebra hide is a fairly valuable commodity.

Wife and I each took an excess zebra at Khomas Highland on our recent trip...Tough to hunt and damn good to eat !

Wife and I each took an excess zebra at Khomas Highland on our recent trip...Tough to hunt and damn good to eat !

Actually, their website was the reason for me starting this thread. Do you know what their policy was for the hunter taking a cull zebra skin?

I returned from Namibia today and I had the opportunity to hunt a trophy zebra and then to cull any we came across as the farmer wanted them gone from his property due to the drought and lack of grass for his livestock.

The hunt was initially for the trophy in my package which I achieved.

We then had time to hunt a Gemsbok for meat but we knew that zebra were also possible and I agreed that for an extra hundred bucks we could hunt them. Where can you hunt a Hartmann's zebra for that price?

We came across a group and I dispatched two in quick succession. One was an absolutely massive stallion which then became my trophy animal and my PH said if I was paying a hundred bucks for the hunt, I should take the skin of the first one too.

The third zebra had gone over rocks and through thorns in it's death throes and the skin was torn up quite significantly so it was not so good.

I think it depends on the outfitter, land owner and what you agree either beforehand or after.

Traditionally a trophy zebra would be an old stallion, typically carrying some scars from fighting and possessing some serious incisors, lion scars would be a bonus....

However depending on what the client wants, a young stallion or even a young mare without scars may be preferred. Also depends on what he/she would like to do with the trophy. Flat skin, shoulder, pedestal etc.

Cull animals could include old stallions(limited), old mares or young animals of either sex, all dependent on what the owner wants taken off. As long as mares are not pregnant the skins could be unique irrespective of gender.

During drought periods zebra are often offered for cull hunts.

Interesting. Looking around on the internet, I surmise that scars on the hide detracted from the value. I also agree with gizmo; any zebra is a trophy zebra! Check out this stallion I harvested last month...absolutely stunning!
BandWZebraHighConCrop.JPG

Zebra skin are graded A B and C . each valued less and less for scars and marking value for retail sales at the end and leather goods.
Most culls are not exportable as PH has to pay the government for each exported and show the income off it to foreign hunters as I know it

I have two cull Zebra skin rugs and they look great!

Zebra skin are graded A B and C . each valued less and less for scars and marking value for retail sales at the end and leather goods.
Most culls are not exportable as PH has to pay the government for each exported and show the income off it to foreign hunters as I know it
Thank you for explaining this!

Actually, their website was the reason for me starting this thread. Do you know what their policy was for the hunter taking a cull zebra skin?
Best thing is to ask the outfitter what he will do...Since the skin is the trophy, he may just charge that at full price but I would ask anyway..

Beauty or in this case "trophy" is in the eye of the beholder.

IMO any "trophy" is a good one if the hunt was solid. My Hartmans Zebra has a few nicks and scars but it is the talk of everybody who enter my home. For me it was about the last ten minutes of the hunt on the last day as we scooted on our butts to try to get into position, resting my rifle on the trackers shoulder and threading one through the thorns to finally close three hard days of Zebra hunting.

I’ll second the thought about zebra as a worthy game species- they can be extremely challenging to hunt! If they have had any hunting pressure from regular hunters or poachers or predators they will be as wary as any game in Africa. Hunting/tracking spooky zebra especially in broken country with thick cover... about on par for difficulty as tracking down spooked eland in the Kalahari :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AishaYpd4

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross