WilhelmM

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
SA
I ask this as I've heard that Benin is probably the most affordable place to hunt truly wild buffalo in Africa. Only for me to scroll through multiple threads and find out that the safari industry there is having some trouble or at least with an outfitter known as Atacora Safaris. There's a lot of conflicting information I've found and I'm not sure what to believe. If anyone knows what's happening there, please let me know.

Not now, most operators if not all had to vacate late last year due to safety concerns. I was planning a hunt there or Burkina, and ended up not being able to go.

Someone on here will surely have info more up to date than I do. If the situation is changed, I gladly will stand corrected!

Legally huntable, I think the answer is still yes...

Actually huntable.. I think @cpr0312 is correct.. the answer is no..

I've spent time in both Benin and Burkina over the years.. and have guys that work for my firm in several west african locations right now, to include neighboring Togo... and I maintain off and on contact with a former officer in the Benin Army that I've known since the early 90's..

I'm not a very risk-averse person... I've spent a pretty significant amount of time in active war zones (to include war zones in Africa) over the last 20 years...

And.. Based on the information I've been provided.. I wouldnt hunt buffalo in Benin right now if the hunt was free....

Not now, most operators if not all had to vacate late last year due to safety concerns. I was planning a hunt there or Burkina, and ended up not being able to go.

Someone on here will surely have info more up to date than I do. If the situation is changed, I gladly will stand corrected!
Damn, I remember around a year ago hearing about some sort of conflict in Burkina Faso. Must've escaped my mind. Honestly, looking at the safety risks when it comes to travelling there and mdwest's answer, I don't think I'll want to go there for a while. Will choose buffalo for someplace else.

I had some friends/co-workers hunt northern Benin in 2018 and had a great hunt. Even brought their wives. They hunted with Atacora Safaris and Christophe Morio. I think things went down hill in late 2018 and 2019.

US State Dept Travel advisory:

I think things went down hill in late 2018 and 2019.
Yep

They have an active insurgency problem now.. and active elements of Boko Haram and Al Queda roaming around that have been kidnapping and ransoming european tourists for the past couple of years...

kidnapping europeans slowed down a good bit after mid 2019.. but thats not because BH and AQ moved out.. its because europeans stopped traveling to Benin due to the violence and due to COVID19..

Both US and French special operations forces have maintained an active presence in Benin for the last few years and are helping to hunt down the bad guys..

The fact that both US and French SOF need to have an active and ongoing presence in a country that small, with that limited of a population, without any real measurable exports that either the US or Europe are concerned about however is testimony to just how precarious Benin is right now..

Chilling out in Cotonou is probably safe enough... but if youve ever been to Cotonou, you know there is little to nothing to see and/or do there.. There are at least a couple of decent hotels and restaurants.. but not much else..

Heading north into the bush where hunting is done... Not so safe...

dec 2020, tourism is closed in north Benin (W and Penjari parks) and the hunting camps too !
It's worse in Burkina Faso, the camps no longer exist

Great information everyone! Thanks for passing it along!

Yep, like others I first was just about to drop the hammer on a Burkina Faso hunt, then things started going south, moved my thinking to Benin and it went south too. Most unfortunate I was really looking forward to trying a different part of Africa, but just not worth the risks. I doubt it will be safely huntable for some time to come.

Several of us around here are Facebook friends with Christophe and it sure looks like he is hunting. Not Benin or BF but I bet he can hook you up with a cool hunt in a unique place.

Several of us around here are Facebook friends with Christophe and it sure looks like he is hunting. Not Benin or BF but I bet he can hook you up with a cool hunt in a unique place.
Is Christophe still doing his Bongo in the Congo hunts?

I ask this as I've heard that Benin is probably the most affordable place to hunt truly wild buffalo in Africa. Only for me to scroll through multiple threads and find out that the safari industry there is having some trouble or at least with an outfitter known as Atacora Safaris. There's a lot of conflicting information I've found and I'm not sure what to believe. If anyone knows what's happening there, please let me know.

Not sure what trouble is is you're referring to, but Christophe isn't hunting Benin anymore, and hasn't been. If Atacora even still exists there it is in name only I believe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AishaYpd4

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross