Is Benin still huntable?

WilhelmM

AH veteran
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
SA
I ask this as I've heard that Benin is probably the most affordable place to hunt truly wild buffalo in Africa. Only for me to scroll through multiple threads and find out that the safari industry there is having some trouble or at least with an outfitter known as Atacora Safaris. There's a lot of conflicting information I've found and I'm not sure what to believe. If anyone knows what's happening there, please let me know.

cpr0312

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
NRA Life Member
Hunted
US (All over), New Zealand, South Africa(Northern Cape, Northwest), Zimbabwe, Zambia
Not now, most operators if not all had to vacate late last year due to safety concerns. I was planning a hunt there or Burkina, and ended up not being able to go.

Someone on here will surely have info more up to date than I do. If the situation is changed, I gladly will stand corrected!

mdwest

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Mex/S.Amer
Member of
DSC Life Member, NRA Life Member
Hunted
USA, South Africa, Argentina, Peru
Legally huntable, I think the answer is still yes...

Actually huntable.. I think @cpr0312 is correct.. the answer is no..

I've spent time in both Benin and Burkina over the years.. and have guys that work for my firm in several west african locations right now, to include neighboring Togo... and I maintain off and on contact with a former officer in the Benin Army that I've known since the early 90's..

I'm not a very risk-averse person... I've spent a pretty significant amount of time in active war zones (to include war zones in Africa) over the last 20 years...

And.. Based on the information I've been provided.. I wouldnt hunt buffalo in Benin right now if the hunt was free....

WilhelmM

AH veteran
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
SA
Not now, most operators if not all had to vacate late last year due to safety concerns. I was planning a hunt there or Burkina, and ended up not being able to go.

Someone on here will surely have info more up to date than I do. If the situation is changed, I gladly will stand corrected!
Damn, I remember around a year ago hearing about some sort of conflict in Burkina Faso. Must've escaped my mind. Honestly, looking at the safety risks when it comes to travelling there and mdwest's answer, I don't think I'll want to go there for a while. Will choose buffalo for someplace else.

375 Ruger Fan

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
NRA, DSC
Hunted
Namibia, Zimbabwe, South Africa (Eastern Cape & NW), Canada, New Zealand, Alaska, TX, LA, MO, OH, MT, ID, WA, WY
I had some friends/co-workers hunt northern Benin in 2018 and had a great hunt. Even brought their wives. They hunted with Atacora Safaris and Christophe Morio. I think things went down hill in late 2018 and 2019.

US State Dept Travel advisory:

mdwest

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Mex/S.Amer
Member of
DSC Life Member, NRA Life Member
Hunted
USA, South Africa, Argentina, Peru
I think things went down hill in late 2018 and 2019.
Yep

They have an active insurgency problem now.. and active elements of Boko Haram and Al Queda roaming around that have been kidnapping and ransoming european tourists for the past couple of years...

kidnapping europeans slowed down a good bit after mid 2019.. but thats not because BH and AQ moved out.. its because europeans stopped traveling to Benin due to the violence and due to COVID19..

Both US and French special operations forces have maintained an active presence in Benin for the last few years and are helping to hunt down the bad guys..

The fact that both US and French SOF need to have an active and ongoing presence in a country that small, with that limited of a population, without any real measurable exports that either the US or Europe are concerned about however is testimony to just how precarious Benin is right now..

Chilling out in Cotonou is probably safe enough... but if youve ever been to Cotonou, you know there is little to nothing to see and/or do there.. There are at least a couple of decent hotels and restaurants.. but not much else..

Heading north into the bush where hunting is done... Not so safe...

Solitaire

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
Burkina Faso - Namibia - SA - CZ - France
dec 2020, tourism is closed in north Benin (W and Penjari parks) and the hunting camps too !
It's worse in Burkina Faso, the camps no longer exist

enysse

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)
Great information everyone! Thanks for passing it along!

sestoppelman

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, NA Hunt Club
Hunted
Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe (2), Namibia (2), South Africa (2)
Yep, like others I first was just about to drop the hammer on a Burkina Faso hunt, then things started going south, moved my thinking to Benin and it went south too. Most unfortunate I was really looking forward to trying a different part of Africa, but just not worth the risks. I doubt it will be safely huntable for some time to come.

Mekaniks

Gold supporter
AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
SCI, RMEF
Hunted
AK, WY, WA, ID, FL, SD, TX, HI, South Africa- Northwest Province
Several of us around here are Facebook friends with Christophe and it sure looks like he is hunting. Not Benin or BF but I bet he can hook you up with a cool hunt in a unique place.

375 Ruger Fan

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
NRA, DSC
Hunted
Namibia, Zimbabwe, South Africa (Eastern Cape & NW), Canada, New Zealand, Alaska, TX, LA, MO, OH, MT, ID, WA, WY
Several of us around here are Facebook friends with Christophe and it sure looks like he is hunting. Not Benin or BF but I bet he can hook you up with a cool hunt in a unique place.
Is Christophe still doing his Bongo in the Congo hunts?

Royal27

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
DSC, NRA, SCI
Hunted
USA - TX, CO, GA, ID. Africa - Zimbabwe, Zambia, and South Africa (Limpopo and EC)
I ask this as I've heard that Benin is probably the most affordable place to hunt truly wild buffalo in Africa. Only for me to scroll through multiple threads and find out that the safari industry there is having some trouble or at least with an outfitter known as Atacora Safaris. There's a lot of conflicting information I've found and I'm not sure what to believe. If anyone knows what's happening there, please let me know.

Not sure what trouble is is you're referring to, but Christophe isn't hunting Benin anymore, and hasn't been. If Atacora even still exists there it is in name only I believe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nnwawaowo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cervus elaphus wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Hi Bob, how's things going in Wyong?. Down your way a couple of years back but haven't been in NSW since Ebor for the fishing. just getting over some nasty storms up here in Qld, seeing the sun for the first time in a few days. I'm going to NZ in the spring and hope to clean up a few buns while there and perhaps shake the spiders out of my old .303LE (currently owned by my BIL). Cheers Brian
A couple pictures of the sable i chased for miles in Mozambique, Coutada 9!! We finally caught up to him and I had the trophy of a lifetime. Mokore Safaris, Doug Duckworth PH
sable Coutada 9.JPG
sable 2 - Coutada 9.JPG
Safari Dave wrote on egrmpty507's profile.
Did you purchase your hunt at a US SCI fundraiser?
uplander01 wrote on colorado's profile.
Heard you may have load data for the 500 Jeffery,.....any info would be appreciated. Was thinking 535gr, but already had a response that the 570gr would be a better way to go, not sure why.
Rickmt wrote on Leica Sport Optics's profile.
will Leica Amplus 6-2.5x15x50 fit on a pro success Blaser with low mount?