AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Life
Hunted
Namibia, RSA, Canada (Sask, BC, NWT, Nunavut), US (NY, PA, TX, CO, NE, SD, ID, AK)
In the most recent issue of Safari magazine, I saw an ad for a product that's supposed to protect taxidermy from being harmed by natural light (sunlight) and from indoor lighting. I've long been aware of the danger posed by UV rays and have taken precautions in my trophy to keep the sunlight exposure close to zero. However, in my trophy room, I have a lot of lighting. Some of it is incandescent on tracks (60 watt) and the rest are recessed LEDs. (I plan to replace the incandescent with LEDs as the right size bulbs become available.)

So, my question for you folks is, is the artificial lighting going to damage my mounts?

Direct indoor light will cause fading in pigmentation.
Heat, relative humidity changes from too much light are not good either.

Is there a solution?

The change to LED will eliminate any heat problem. I have ceiling fans to reduce the problem of heat buildup toward the ceiling (hot water heat). Relative humidity doesn't normally drop below 35%. Room temp is 60 - 70 F.

Your trophies will likely outlast you. I do not know what museums do.

At this point, I don't know how I could do indirect lighting in the room. When I built the room, I got some input from the lighting guy at the Provincial Museum in Victoria, BC. I suppose I could try to contact him again (coworker with the son of a former neighbor - pretty tenuous thread).

When I die, or go into a memory care unit, probably only 3, possibly 4 of my mounts will have any value to anyone else. I have a monster bison (don't know now, but it was #25 B&C), a B&C class Alaska Yukon moose, a very good elk and a nice mule deer. Not sure about the giant mountain lion that I took last year - I don't have that mount yet. Beyond that, my family will probably have to pay someone to haul the stuff to the dump - even an incredible blue wildebeest.

At this point, I don't know how I could do indirect lighting in the room. When I built the room, I got some input from the lighting guy at the Provincial Museum in Victoria, BC. I suppose I could try to contact him again (coworker with the son of a former neighbor - pretty tenuous thread).

That is certainly some expertise I would access.
You talked to him once, he'll likely be happy to help you again.

No UV light and 70% humidity is suggested. You don't want it too dry as things will dry out too much and crack.

You might be able to maintain 70% humidity in Texas, but here in Colorado that's not going to happen. When we first moved here, many, many years ago, we used to laugh ourselves silly when we would hear people complain about it being "muggy" when the humidity got up to 40%. :) A year or two later we found ourselves doing the same thing.

I suppose that in addition to the guy at the museum in BC, I should talk with my taxidermist.

Well if whatever percent with a humidifier is all you can do then that certainly beats 10%. Just make sure it doesn't blow directly on a mount.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlineDu

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross