Is a trip to DSC or SCI worth it?

Ravensview

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Member of
SCI,DSC, DU
I am just wondering if it’s worth traveling cross country to attend one of these shows, Do you have to be a member to get in, costs associated with the show, are there deals to be had at a show?, The only large show that I have been too is the Toronto Sportsmen show and that was several years ago. If you could only get to one of these shows which one would be be better and why?

Absolutely. My strong preference is DSC.

I love the Dallas Safari Club (https://www.biggame.org) annual show. It usually occurs in January and has a ton of vendors from all over the world. Lots of PHs from Africa, Canada, USA, New Zealand, Australia, Europe, etc. Also lots of equipment vendors like rifle & scope manufacturers.

Houston Safari Club is also very good and so is the SCI in Las Vegas. Many of the shows are in January and the vendors from overseas will be at 2 or 3 shows in a month. Most of the shows have a member discount and a non-member price. You can check out the organizations web page for more info.

It is worth it especially if you are planning a hunt several years in advance. I see my New Zealand guide every year for many years now. It lets you meet the people you will be hunting with before the hunt. And yes there are some discounted hunts and items available at the show.

10,000% worth it..

I live in the DFW area.. but if I were 10 hours away I'd still try to make it every couple of years..

I do make the road trip to attend the HSC show (4 hours) as well as NWTF (10 hours) most every year as well..

I am a life member of both organizations. I have been to both and we much prefer DSC. Saying that, we are not into the whole Vegas thing, but we are very much into seeing old friends in a super friendly environment. That is the Dallas convention. Moreover, there is everything on the floor to interest both you and a spouse. Fabulous outfitters and hunting destinations, great art, a vast selection of new and vintage firearms (and not an AR or handgun in sight), fabulous taxidermy, and every bit of gear for your next trip. Simply a wonderful experience. We go to Dallas EVERY year.

No membership required $20 for a day pass. Well worth it for both. You get to talk in person to so many outfitters. You get a feel for chemistry, etc. also we are the worlds greatest fraternity. A great example was on my first trip to Africa by myself. I was so nervous...I had on a DSC shirt and two couples down the way from me got up and introduced themselves to me saying they too were members of DSC! Felt right at home

DSC without question. But cancelled this year as are all U.S. shows that I am aware of. There is a $20 - $30 daily entry fee. You do not have to be a member. I started going in the 1990s and have been to the last eight in a row. They are to put on a viral ? show this year so you can see on your computer what I can see on mine. I assure you there will be no comparison to a live show in a 800,000 sq ft building.

I have been looking at the info for both and as are most things on the internet it gets to be sorta like a deer in the headlights situation, I have been looking at getting a membership to DSC but do not know what it includes, the membership I was looking at is the base camp.

DSC without question because after all you get to meet .......me! :) Well others too If you attend our annual dinner. But more than that, you have the opportunity to meet in person many outfitters you’d consider spending your hard earned hunting dollars with.

Phoenix Phil that might be the deal breaker right there!!

Î too am a life member of both organizations who prefers the Dallas show but either is a good show. Wish they had been around when i first began hunting around the world. My wife is a non hunter and she enjoys the Dallas shindig. She now goes on all my trips even though still a non hunter. friends i have made from all over the world appear there and we all get together. Do your homework before you go and have some notes and a check list because there are so many distractions. Oh and wear a good pair of walking shoes, lots of miles up and down the aisles. Kindest Regards

Yes worth it, go to DSC. All the reasons listed above in other posts

I have been looking at the info for both and as are most things on the internet it gets to be sorta like a deer in the headlights situation, I have been looking at getting a membership to DSC but do not know what it includes, the membership I was looking at is the base camp.
Base camp membership includes 1 year membership and quarterly Game Trails Magazine. You'll also receive email updates on monthly or bi monthly events/meetings in or around Dallas.

I got the chance to go to DSC for the first time last year. I was really impressed with the quality of the show. My advice though would be to make a list of who you want to speak with and make sure you do, then after that just enjoy the show. I thought it could easily get overwhelming. Here is a good thread on DSC not too long ago.

I am just wondering if it’s worth traveling cross country to attend one of these shows, Do you have to be a member to get in, costs associated with the show, are there deals to be had at a show?, The only large show that I have been too is the Toronto Sportsmen show and that was several years ago. If you could only get to one of these shows which one would be be better and why?

It’s one of my favorite things to do and look forward to all year.unfortunately most are cancelled this year. Meeting the outfitters, looking at guns and gear, and seeing old friends are all part of the fun. If you’ve never been you just don’t know what you are missing.
We are having our San Angelo SCI Chapter banquet May 22nd and everyone is welcome to come!

Your membership in DSC and SCI first and foremost supports hunting and conservation. There are many benefits and I am a life member of both. You do have to be a member to attend SCI convention. I encourage everyone to support conservation in many ways and being a meme of these orgs is vital to our future.

I like SCI better overall but both are similar with many of the same outfitters and vendors. DSC is fun and lots of people (who don’t have to be members) there. SCI is bigger and outfitters will say there is more actual business conducted there. I always try to go to both but missed DSC due to my Cameroon Safari last year. SCI will be in Vegas next year then move to Nashville.

Absolutely worth the effort.

As to deals. A few years ago we were not planning on a trip to Africa that year but one of the DSC auctions was for a 7 day plains game hunt with pre-paid trophy fees for a giraffe, bush pig, and klipspringer. I had hunted with that same outfitter {Not one of the "better known" outfitters.} the year before and they were at the show so I could discuss the auction hunt with them. I was the only bidder on the hunt and won it for $1850 if I remember correctly. We had a great time on the hunt and I added several other animals at the outfitters going trophy fees.

From others I talked to this was not an isolated occurence. I you do your homework before the show by reviewing the listing of auction items, doing on line research of the outfitters you might have an interest in, meeting with the outfitters at the show to see if you have good chemistry and get questions answered, and then bidding my experience would indicate there are a lot of highly discounted hunts that can be had. My caution would be to understand what is actually included in the package (Pickup/return to airport, trophy preparation, libations, etc.) and comparing their current flyer cost for the hunt, non-hunter if applicable, trophy fees, any non-inclusive items, etc before bidding.

Engineer, sounds like good advice, thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
profibrahim

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you