www.flickr.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
South Carolina, South Africa
I must start by quoting myself from about six months ago...

I’m disappointed, though, by the alligator living rent-free in the big clay pit because he lets a family of beavers swim the water ditch and use the other two clay pits as staging grounds for their woody destruction. I didn’t get a recreational alligator tag this year so I might have to apply for a gator depredation permit to upgrade the current freeloading pacifist with a lion-hearted alligator with a taste for beaver. That’s for later, though. Deer season is in full swing and I've got empty spaces in the freezer.

Well, the alligator is gone and I know absolutely nothing about his disappearance but that left the beavers even more emboldened. This happened after the deer season so I didn't know until I went birding on the deer club when the warblers were migrating in late April. The, now, carefree beavers had cut and removed some gum saplings that I had used to break-up the silhouette of one of my deer stands. That was the last straw. I had to do something.

I called Cabelas and ordered an American-made PCC (pistol caliber carbine) in 9mm and a neat little 3x scope with lighted reticles. They didn't have a light/laser combo I liked so Jeff Bezos hooked me up with a cheapie. The last thing I did was call the DNR. The process to get a depredation permit is amazingly efficient so it wasn't but a few minutes before I had a .pdf in my inbox that granted me to use "any legal means" to remove the beavers. The permit didn't define what means are legal but I'm sure my PCC set-up qualifies.

One note of caution. If you're going to use voice-to-text to message a friend that you've got a beaver depredation permit, Google will transcribe it as "beaver deprivation permit" every time you try it...

I'm sure most folks don't consider a .354 Ruger, aka the Street 9, as big bore, but if it is, I can now say I've taken my first game with a big bore rifle...

In case anyone is wondering, I did eat some beaver in a meal that I called "B to the 5th"...Beaver Back-strap, Baked Beans and Baked potato. It wasn't bad, the culinary experience was kind of like eating a tough flank steak while sitting cross-legged in the floor of a new cedar closet.

Needless to say, I've got more work to do before our deer season starts in mid-August...

52859045473_b266ed8e5e_c.jpg
52900388224_570e986b13_c.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nephew has a problem with them in Mansfield Tx...and they have already made a hollowed out den in the dam of a 5 acre lake! If allowed to do that, he is risking a blown out dam and loss of the lake itself. I will tell him to get the permit, and then maybe help him out with the carnage. Don't plan to eat it, but you never know.
BTW, I wouldn't take them on with just a rimfire or shotshell---they are thick skinned, tough little rascals.

Beavertail makes a lovely watch strap!

Never heard of a .354 anything, but no a .35 cal is a medium bore at best. What is this .354 you speak of?

Crickets......

Read the post - the whole thing was a bit of tongue-in-cheek satire. The .354 is just the pistol calibre 9mm or 9x19mm...Other folks "got it", why didn't you?
Well maybe I am just stupid. But on the other hand the 9mm is not .354, its .355. So theres that....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
odoodevelopers

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross