Iron Will Broadhead Battle--Single Bevel vs Double Bevel

Those are some awesome looking broadheads…might have to add some to my kit.

I used the double bevel S buff series this year with great luck.

I killed my avatar Mulie with an Iron will double bevel S200 Buff at 14 yards. I really like the performance and durability.

@Bowhuntr64 great review as usual!

I indeed use the IW single bevels myself and am grateful for your reviews steering me in that direction.

The one thing I didn’t see covered that sticks with me is the Ashby comments about the single bevel rotation and reduced drag. You chose to use bleeders and I really want to know if the bleeder reduces penetration.

Any chance in a future test you can test the single bevel with and without bleeders in a comparison for rotation and penetration? I’d love to know what you lose in exchange for the extra cuts.

Last edited:
@Bowhuntr64 great review as usual!

I indeed use the IW single bevels myself and am grateful for your reviews steering me in that direction.

The one thing I didn’t see covered that sticks with me is the Ashby comments about the single benefit rotation and reduced drag. You chose to use bleeders and I really want to know if the bleeder reduces penetration.

Any chance in a future test you can test the single bevel with and without bleeders in a comparison for rotation and penetration? I’d love to know what you lose in exchange for the extra cuts.
That would be a good test to perform. I could see a slight reduction in penetration but also a hindrance of the rotational benefit of single-bevel. The positive for bleeders is the potential for slightly better wound channel and blood trail (though that is moot if the penetration suffers too much.)

That would be a good test to perform. I could see a slight reduction in penetration but also a hindrance of the rotational benefit of single-bevel. The positive for bleeders is the potential for slightly better wound channel and blood trail (though that is moot if the penetration suffers too much.)

The other thing with single bevels is dramatically increased chance of breaking bone due to the mechanical forces of the chisel tip on bone. Increased penetration indicates increased forces to break bone. If the bleeders reduced penetration in gel by say half an inch or more, I’d interpret that to suggest less chance of bone breaking.

For American game with adult strength bows this is all moot, but my interests are youth big game hunting and adult dangerous game hunting and in both cases you want every smidgeon of extra performance you can get to ensure a clean pass through.

Iron Will Single Bevel (No bleeders) in a heavy 525gr arrow at 164fps shot from a 42lb draw weight, 22.5” draw length bow by a ten year old kid. Full pass through the heart and the bear ran 40 yards.

John Lusk turned us on to these and my son loves them.

6091CA84-EC6A-4194-973F-301481D02662.jpeg

Iron Will Single Bevel (No bleeders) in a heavy 525gr arrow at 164fps shot from a 42lb draw weight, 22.5” draw length bow by a ten year old kid. Full pass through the heart and the bear ran 40 yards.

John Lusk turned us on to these and my son loves them.

View attachment 483211
That is fantastic!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross