Iron Sights- Is the rear blade really needed?

dmyers

AH veteran
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Namibia, Canada,
Quick question- When stopping a charging animal, is the rear blade on the rifle really nessesary or do most people just shoot their rifle like a shotgun (instinctively) using only the front sight when things get hairy and the animal is within say - 25 yards?

I hope a few PH members might answer this question especially in the case of a double rifle!

For me it is. Even if it is a subconscious action you still need to aim. A brain/cns shot is difficult and is a small target.

That is not to say a rifle, be it a double or bolt gun should not come up and fit you like a shotgun. If you are having to move your head around for proper sight alignment there are other problems.

Also a shotgun on a bird has far more room for error than a rifle on large dangerous game.

I think it’s best to try and see yourself. While I’ve never shot charging dg I think the confirmation feeling would be good even if when you raise your rifle you are perfectly aligned. You may only have time for one shot.

Due to the raised front sights on rifles vs lower beads on shotguns there is a lot more air around the front sight.

Good question. I have never had to stop a charging animal and hope I never do. However, I do shoot with both eyes open - even with a telescopic sight. On a moving target (which I have shot quite a bit with a rifle) doing so provides constant subconscious depth perception which is essential in judging range and relative angle of movement. I "see" the sight (telescopic, ghost ring and front bead, or blade and bead) while also being aware of the target with both eyes. I suspect that would be useful in a charge, and I know it is in combat or in shooting dynamic competitive targets like running boar. All that works best if the rifle fits well and aligns itself on coming to the shoulder.

I would say yeah! But I have put down an incoming lion though.... however, express rear sights were a culmination of a bunch of research and field experience... I would have to say that they were developed with the purpose of subconscious sight alignment under stress... however, I would still bet on the ghost ring sight. There's a reason most military's use a peep. They are faster and subconsciously aligned as well as being more precise.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lepani

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!