Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Australia/NZ
Member of
Life Member: Buckmasters, NRA, RMEF, DSC, SCI, and CCA
Hunted
Zimbabwe, Mozambique
1983 it was Alicia when I lived in Houston - tree on car and house robbed while staying at friends
2004 4 did an X on Orlando - Jean # 4 ripped shingles off 2 weeks before we closed on selling house
2016 Hermine although 150 miles away, put a storm surge within a foot of the house

Went up to Virginia Beach for work on Monday. On Tuesday, as the track of Irma turned more westerly, searched the web - no plywood near my house in Hernando Beach, FL. Rented a Dodge Caravan and brought 30 sheets back with me along with deck screws, etc.

We got the mandatory evacuation notice earlier this afternoon. Finished 75% of the coverage of windows. Will finish up tomorrow then head to my father-in-law's house. The track keeps moving the eye closer and closer to our county. So, we'll 'run from water' and 'hide from the wind' at his concrete block house. Hopefully, I have some time tomorrow to protect some of his windows.

Keep Ann and me in your prayers as well as all of the others that live in Florida.

Here's some photos. I'll post more and updates as long as I have power and internet.

Thanks,

John

upload_2017-9-8_18-44-32.jpeg

upload_2017-9-8_18-44-40.jpeg

upload_2017-9-8_18-44-45.jpeg

upload_2017-9-8_18-44-56.jpeg

upload_2017-9-8_18-45-1.jpeg

upload_2017-9-8_18-45-6.jpeg

Stay safe!

You do what you can and pray for the best.

Stay safe and we'll keep you in our prayers bud

Good luck

You are indeed in our prayers

Good luck!

Lived in FL most of my life through more hurricanes than I can remember, came to Houston had Ike the first year and 4, 500 year flood events in the last 2.5 years. Should have stayed in FL!

Good luck. We got lucky and stayed dry during Harvey.

Thanks everyone for the thoughts and prayers. A little sunlight, we found some gas and were able to top off the tank at 8:45 pm. When we drove back past that station at 10:15 pm, the pumps were corded off. Got lucky there.

We will be thinking of you!

Wishing you the best. I'm in LE just N of ATL. Irma will be a tropical storm if/when she gets here on Monday. However, buildings are not built to hurricane code and power infrastructure is not either. Hundreds of trees will go down. Lots of damage and mayhem predicted due to the rarity of this type of storm this far inland. All hands are scheduled to work and I finished our initial Incident Action Plan today...

Thanks everyone for the thoughts and prayers. A little sunlight, we found some gas and were able to top off the tank at 8:45 pm. When we drove back past that station at 10:15 pm, the pumps were corded off. Got lucky there.

Sometimes a little luck makes all the difference. Smart move getting the plywood! Stay safe.

Glad you found the plywood. Keep safe. Bruce

Stay safe and hope for the best for all in the path or Irma.

Screen Shot 2017-09-09 at 9.02.41 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-09-09 at 9.02.03 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-09-09 at 9.02.17 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-09-09 at 9.02.27 AM.png

@thi9elsp,

Best of luck to you, and stay safe....!

I am in Ft. Lauderdale. I have lived in South Florida for 50 years. I have been through so many hurricanes that I honestly can't remember them all. I think the hardest thing to convey to folks that are not familiar with them is that not all hurricanes are created equal... I had been through several minor hurricanes as a kid, and never understood what all the hype was about until Andrew.

I had both sisters and my father living directly in the path of Andrew at the time in South Miami. My sisters both had significant damage to their newer constructed concrete block homes. My father's 100 year old, heavy timber home that survived many hurricanes in the past was gone completely. Not damaged, GONE.... He survived by pulling up the floor boards and climbing down into the foundation. My sisters both put their kids into the bath tubs and pulled a mattress over them when their roofs started to come apart.

The obvious question that some of you may be asking is "why would you stay there knowing a major hurricane was coming?" The answer may sound naive, but nobody honestly had any idea how bad it could actually be. Florida had not experienced a hurricane as strong as Andrew for many decades. Hurricane Donna destroyed the Keys as a Category 4 in 1960, but prior to that, this heavy populated area had not seen a major storm. The population in South Florida had collectively let it's guard down, and the weather experts did not emphasize the danger nearly as adamantly as they could have.... Most of the population in South Florida at the time were folks relocated from up north. There were very few if any natives that had experienced such a storm. Bottom line is that Nobody in Florida was prepared for a Category 5 hurricane when Andrew hit, and nobody honestly understood how bad it could be. My fear is that this will happen again.... The weather experts and the media are doing a MUCH better job this time conveying the message.

I was lucky enough to be living in Ft. Lauderdale at the time Andrew hit. I can remember my impression of the devastation like it was yesterday. You never forget a sight like that for as long as you live. There was no phone service or power anywhere, so I drove down the following day to check on my family. My first significant memory was that there were no traffic lights or street signs left standing on the roadways. It was difficult to know where I was going on the turnpike because all of the familiar points of reference were gone. It has been described many times that it looked like a nuclear bomb had detonated.... I still believe that is the most accurate way to describe it. Every single building had extensive damage. 90% of the roofs on both homes and structures were gone. Only shells of concrete buildings were standing. Anything wood was gone....Mobile homes, gone... The few trees that did remain upright, had no leaves or branches except for a couple remaining on the downwind side. The debris field extended as far as I could see for miles down the turnpike. The beautiful green canopies of trees, well-manicured yards, and nice neighborhoods were gone. I only recognized the correct exit by a 10 story concrete hospital that was standing near the highway. I remember the outer walls were battered with marks where debris had hit, and the windows were all blown out. It looked like a bombed out building that you would see in Beirut, not Miami...

I had a big 4x4 truck at the time, and without it, the roads would have been impassible. I had to drive over and around so much debris and downed trees that I had to chainsaw my way through in some places. I finally found my father's street by locating a big piece of his red shingled roof a few blocks away. I was shocked and sickened to find nothing remaining but the foundation of his home. Folks were walking around like zombies, stunned from both the shock of the storm and the disbelief of what they were seeing with the devastation. It was as if a 50 mile wide EF-5 tornado had passed through. I recall seeing yachts as big as 100' grounded in places over 10 miles from the nearest marina. I also saw a wing of an F-4 jet on my sister's street which was 15 miles from the Homestead Air force base where it was once attached to the rest of the airplane.... It was one of the worst days of my life, and I would never wish that experience on anyone....

The relief effort came slow because of the extent of such unexpected catastrophic damage. It was months before the roads were reopened, and nearly a year before the major power grids were restored. Many neighborhoods hardest hit were gone completely and never rebuilt. Many insurance companies went bankrupt, and some folks were never repaid for damages. For many, it was a total loss.... Eerily enough, 25 years later, you can still see a few Florida pines growing in the Redlands near Florida City that only have branches on one side. Most folks have no idea why those trees look like that, but I do...

This storm scares me.... I hate that it has to hit anyone, but that fact is inevitable... Hopefully, the eye wall will remain away from land and weaken, but the reality is that it is not very likely. Even worse, the path it is projected to take will affect the entire length of the state to some degree. The word Catastrophic doesn't cover it.... I know we have many members here on AH.com who reside somewhere in Florida. Many more have friends or family here. It is crazy to think that this particular storm will likely affect us all to some extent. We need your prayers like never before... My thoughts and prayers will be with all of my fellow Floridians as well. Be safe, smart, and take this very seriously.

Last edited:
I fly out of Atlanta on Delta 200 Sunday evening, the storm hits there shortly after.

@thi9elsp,

Best of luck to you, and stay safe....!

I am in Ft. Lauderdale. I have lived in South Florida for 50 years. I have been through so many hurricanes that I honestly can't remember them all. I think the hardest thing to convey to folks that are not familiar with them is that not all hurricanes are created equal... I had been through several minor hurricanes as a kid, and never understood what all the hype was about until Andrew.

I had both sisters and my father living directly in the path of Andrew at the time in South Miami. My sisters both had significant damage to their newer constructed concrete block homes. My father's 100 year old, heavy timber home that survived many hurricanes in the past was gone completely. Not damaged, GONE.... He survived by pulling up the floor boards and climbing down into the foundation. My sisters both put their kids into the bath tubs and pulled a mattress over them when their roofs started to come apart.

The obvious question that some of you may be asking is "why would you stay there knowing a major hurricane was coming?" The answer may sound naive, but nobody honestly had any idea how bad it could actually be. Florida had not experienced a hurricane as strong as Andrew for many decades. Hurricane Donna destroyed the Keys as a Category 4 in 1960, but prior to that, this heavy populated area had not seen a major storm. The population in South Florida had collectively let it's guard down, and the weather experts did not emphasize the danger nearly as adamantly as they could have.... Most of the population in South Florida at the time were folks relocated from up north. There were very few if any natives that had experienced such a storm. Bottom line is that Nobody in Florida was prepared for a Category 5 hurricane when Andrew hit, and nobody honestly understood how bad it could be. My fear is that this will happen again.... The weather experts and the media are doing a MUCH better job this time conveying the message.

I was lucky enough to be living in Ft. Lauderdale at the time Andrew hit. I can remember my impression of the devastation like it was yesterday. You never forget a sight like that for as long as you live. There was no phone service or power anywhere, so I drove down the following day to check on my family. My first significant memory was that there were no traffic lights or street signs left standing on the roadways. It was difficult to know where I was going on the turnpike because all of the familiar points of reference were gone. It has been described many times that it looked like a nuclear bomb had detonated.... I still believe that is the most accurate way to describe it. Every single building had extensive damage. 90% of the roofs on both homes and structures were gone. Only shells of concrete buildings were standing. Anything wood was gone....Mobile homes, gone... The few trees that did remain upright, had no leaves or branches except for a couple remaining on the downwind side. The debris field extended as far as I could see for miles down the turnpike. The beautiful green canopies of trees, well-manicured yards, and nice neighborhoods were gone. I only recognized the correct exit by a 10 story concrete hospital that was standing near the highway. I remember the outer walls were battered with marks where debris had hit, and the windows were all blown out. It looked like a bombed out building that you would see in Beirut, not Miami...

I had a big 4x4 truck at the time, and without it, the roads would have been impassible. I had to drive over and around so much debris and downed trees that I had to chainsaw my way through in some places. I finally found my father's street by locating a big piece of his red shingled roof a few blocks away. I was shocked and sickened to find nothing remaining but the foundation of his home. Folks were walking around like zombies, stunned from both the shock of the storm and the disbelief of what they were seeing with the devastation. It was as if a 50 mile wide EF-5 tornado had passed through. I recall seeing yachts as big as 100' grounded in places over 10 miles from the nearest marina. I also saw a wing of an F-4 jet on my sister's street which was 15 miles from the Homestead Air force base where it was once attached to the rest of the airplane.... It was one of the worst days of my life, and I would never wish that experience on anyone....

The relief effort came slow because of the extent of such unexpected catastrophic damage. It was months before the roads were reopened, and nearly a year before the major power grids were restored. Many neighborhoods hardest hit were gone completely and never rebuilt. Many insurance companies went bankrupt, and some folks were never repaid for damages. For many, it was a total loss.... Eerily enough, 25 years later, you can still see a few Florida pines growing in the Redlands near Florida City that only have branches on one side. Most folks have no idea why those trees look like that, but I do...

This storm scares me.... I hate that it has to hit anyone, but that fact is inevitable... Hopefully, the eye wall will remain away from land and weaken, but the reality is that it is not very likely. Even worse, the path it is projected to take will affect the entire length of the state to some degree. The word Catastrophic doesn't cover it.... I know we have many members here on AH.com who reside somewhere in Florida. Many more have friends or family here. It is crazy to think that this particular storm will likely affect us all to some extent. We need your prayers like never before... My thoughts and prayers will be with all of my fellow Floridians as well. Be safe, smart, and take this very seriously.

That really brings home the reality of the situation. Quite horrible.

Stay safe, prayers for all in the path!

@firehuntfish

Your words ring very true. Alicia was my first and truly a wake up to what a hurricane can do. Now, as I watch the track updates, Spring Hill - where my father-in-law's house is located seems to be right in the track. Expectation of a Cat 3 but maybe a Cat 2 if we're lucky. Our house is in Hernando Beach on a canal. Storm surge is predicted at 3 - 6 feet right now along with the hurricane force winds. Almost done putting all of the plywood up on the lower level. Then off to the his house. Will bring some plywood along to cover whatever windows I can and hunker done in the cinder block and pray.

John

I am in Pensacola in the panhandle only a few miles from the Alabama border. At this point, only expecting 30-35 mph winds on Sunday and a little rain on Monday. There are no shortages here except for maybe hotel rooms along I-10 which are filled with storm refugees. If by chance Pensacola becomes the bulls eye, I'll head toward Baton Rouge, depending on the track of the storm. Next week is planned to be a normal week for me as of now!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Looking to hire Odoo developers in UAE, USA In o2b technologies has skilled and experienced Odoo developers at competitive pricing Consult Now!

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!