Investing in a rifle

Texashunter30

Reaction score
I am looking to buy a double rifle in 470 nitro. I am looking for a high end rifle between 18k and 30k. I would like an older vintage rifle that I can add engraving to as I hunt my animals with the gun. Looking for info on guns that will hold value over time, manufacturers know to make top quality guns and things to look out for when buying a vintage rifle.

Texashunter30,

I cannot even hope to properly discuss doubles. But hopefully @cal pappas will come along and help you. He has about as much knowledge on them as anyone I know of.

Agree with Phil, Cal is the Microsoft cloud of vintage double gun knowledge! At the amount you are willing to spend, you should be able to find a fantastic piece of art in addition to being a hunter's dream rifle!!!

first, i dont think you will find to many "high end" doubles for only $30,000. but you will find a number of very nice "mid range" doubles for that price range. @cal pappas will recommend an original British double rifle which is a good idea especially if this is an investment gun.

-matt

George Caswell with Champlin Firearms would be a good person to talk to. He also has a selection in stock. Just google Champlin Firearms for the contact information.

I am looking to buy a double rifle in 470 nitro. I am looking for a high end rifle between 18k and 30k. I would like an older vintage rifle that I can add engraving to as I hunt my animals with the gun. Looking for info on guns that will hold value over time, manufacturers know to make top quality guns and things to look out for when buying a vintage rifle.[/

You want to get this purchase correct. There are literally dozens of potential pitfalls in buying a double rifle - likewise a SxS shotgun. Over the last 35 years or so, I have spent thousands of dollars on my "education." It is not a recommended method for someone looking for the one right rifle. May I suggest contacting someone like Diggory Hadoke http://www.vintageguns.co.uk/company/diggory-hadoke/ He offers a fine gun finding and buying service - to include double rifles. I know of no one more experienced in marrying the right gun with the right owner. I am confident that you and he can find a wonderful A&D boxlock rifle with border engraving and lots of potential for your custom additions should you really ever want to pursue such work (custom engraving will leave all too little time to actually hunt your acquisition.) Anyway, shooting him an email will likely be the cheapest five minutes you have ever spent on your sport.

Hi Texashinter 30,

Welcome to the best forum.

For $30,000., you can certainly buy a vintage English double rifle, a decent and proper one at that.
However, $30,000.US is about half what "high end" ones begin at.
Also, if you have additional engraving done to any valuable antique firearm, you will be lowering the otherwise high value of it ... substantially (IMO).

My recommendation instead is to buy a new or at least recent Heym side lock with no engraving or perhaps just a sparse bit of border scroll.
That way you will have yourself a very excellent double that is not only quite properly made but it will have plenty of blank metal (side plates) on which to have your animals engraved and without damaging the rifle's value.

Cheers,
Velo Dog.

$30,000 will get you a standard Heym Safari with a pinless sidelock action. if you want the gun to be fancier you will need more then $30k.

-matt

I am looking to buy a double rifle in 470 nitro. I am looking for a high end rifle between 18k and 30k. I would like an older vintage rifle that I can add engraving to as I hunt my animals with the gun. Looking for info on guns that will hold value over time, manufacturers know to make top quality guns and things to look out for when buying a vintage rifle.
Texashunter,

I'm a bit worried about your use of the word "investing." In the traditional sense, an investment is something that is expected to appreciate in value over time. Other than the very top quality English double rifles - all of which would be substantially more expensive than your budget - I don't think many doubles will increase in value. I think Velo Dog's advice is very sound - get a reasonably priced double you like and will enjoy, and engrave it to your heart's content. It may be an "investment" in terms of pleasure rather than financial return, but I think that's a better bet.

By the way, the SCI show and, I expect (but don't know) the DSC show are great places to look at vintage doubles, some expensive, some out of this world, and some more affordable. You won't easily find that many guns in one place at the same time.

Have a look in:

www.HeymUSA.com

Also have a look in:

www.gunsinternational.com

In the latter, at this moment there are 95 listings for sale under:

"Double Rifles - English".

And, 48 listings for sale under:

"Double Rifles - German".

Last edited:
It may be an "investment" in terms of pleasure rather than financial return, but I think that's a better bet.
Well said

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DesmondU66

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross