Introduction

Calamity

Reaction score
Media
Hi to all, thanks for letting me join the group. I'm 76, widower, ex marine, interested in guns since I was in single digits. I was on the Marine Corps Rifle and Pistol Team for a year in 1963-64. BS in management, managed a federal civil engineering division for 21 years, lived all over the US and Caribbean. I currently teach shop part-time and design science projects for physics students at Southwestern University. Second Amendment advocate, believe in constitutional government, American traditions, God and country. I like ballistic science and shooting, alternative energy technologies. Love good science fiction and mysteries. Never been to Africa, but always had a fascination for African hunting stories and adventure lore. And, yes Ladies, I can cook. That about sums me up.

Giday Calamity and welcome to the A H forums

Hi to all, thanks for letting me join the group. I'm 76, widower, ex marine, interested in guns since I was in single digits. I was on the Marine Corps Rifle and Pistol Team for a year in 1963-64. BS in management, managed a federal civil engineering division for 21 years, lived all over the US and Caribbean. I currently teach shop part-time and design science projects for physics students at Southwestern University. Second Amendment advocate, believe in constitutional government, American traditions, God and country. I like ballistic science and shooting, alternative energy technologies. Love good science fiction and mysteries. Never been to Africa, but always had a fascination for African hunting stories and adventure lore. And, yes Ladies, I can cook. That about sums me up.
Welcome to the forum! This place will you busy for hours!!

Kind regards,
Dempsey Bayly and Michael Sippel

Calamity, welcome to the AH forum! Sounds like you will fit right in! Man you are staying busy it sounds like with a lot of fun things going on!
Thanks for your service!

Welcome aboard!

Welcome to AH Calamity! Glad you found us, I think that you will enjoy our community.

......... Never been to Africa, but always had a fascination for African hunting stories and adventure lore. ..........

You found a good place to read some African hunting tales.

Welcome.

Welcome to AH Calamity!

Welcome to AH

Welcome aboard Calamity. We may know a couple of guys in common. I still shoot with Gene Pitts, and Ron Zalewski, I haven't seen Jimmie Dorcey or Mitch Reed for years. Are any of those names familiar? Do you still hunt? What caliber rifles do you own?

Welcome to AH !

Thanks for the warm welcome. Shootist 43, I do not remember the names you mention. If you are referring to the USMC team, I remember an older staff sergeant and a PFC I shot with, but not their names. They were not in my company. As for Rifles I own, I have a custom FN Mauser 7mm Rem Mag, a mod 70 Win .338 WM, a mod 70 in .22-250, a .17WMR and some .22 rimfires. I used to build custom rifles for friends and family, nothing commercial. I have a machine shop, and nowadays use it mostly to make bits and pieces for physics students experiments. Here is a .458 Win Mag I built for an architect friend who hunts in Africa:
M70-4.jpg
M70-6.jpg
M70-3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to AH. You obviously do nice work when building a rifle.

Welcome to AH!

Hello Calamity,

Thank you for your service to this country.

Also, Khomas Highland Hunting Safaris of Namibia, welcomes you to the greatest forum on earth.

Best regards,
Velo Dog.

Welcome welcome welcome

Good to have you here. You'll fit right in.
Bruce

Welcome to AH!

Welcome to AH Calamity! Glad you found us and joined our community.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elisa56S81

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.