Introduction from South Africa

Wouter Roets

AH member
Reaction score
Member of
SAJWV
Hunted
South Africa, Namibia, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Mozambiue.
Hallo Everybody

My name is Wouter Roets as you can probably see and I would just like to introduce myself on Africa Hunting. I live in Lichtenburg in the North West province in South Africa. I am an avid hunter and a absolute gun nut to boot. I reload exclusively for all my weapons with the exception of my handguns and shotguns. To say this is a passion would be one of the greatest understatements of the century. I have also been fortunate enough to hunt some of the most spectacular places and creatures in Africa and look forward to adding a few more God willing.

My brother and myself owns a game ranch in the Piet Plessis area of the North West province. This is one of my favorite areas in SA and we try to get there as much as possible.

Thank you for the opportunity to be a member here and share this burning passions of mine with fellow members.

Greetings
Wouter

gday wouter
welcome to AH , enjoy the site
love to hear some of your adventures around Africa.......

Welcome to AH!!

Welcome to AH!

Thank you Gentleman

I must say I have been following this forum for quite a while and decided to take the plunge and join this morning. Glad I did because it seems that there is a wonderful atmosphere of respect and decency that abides under the members as it should be between fellow hunters.

I should probably ad a couple of details about myself and then start hiding from the replies. I am a big Ruger fan and currently 23 are in my custody. There is also one Taurus and Winchester to spoil my compulsive disorder. I try to hunt with all of them each year so it keeps me busy to say the least. The calibers range from .22 right up to a 505 Gibbs. Between these there is also 7 Ackley's. All my rifles are fitted with a Leopold telescopes or sighting system.

I have hunted most of the species found in the Southern region of Africa with the exception of a few. I am working on a trip to Tanzania later this year with a buffalo or two on the menu. Just waiting for the final quotation to see if I must rob a bank, armored car or ATM or all three!

Thank you again for being able to share these sicknesses I have with you.

Greetings
Wouter

Welcome!

You've come to the right place! And you'll find plenty of Ruger fans here. @ActionBob will probably be jealous of all of the Rugers you own!!! ;)

Welcome to the posting side of AH.
The compliment is not lost on those who also appreciate the atmosphere here on AH.

You must be a national hero in SA to have managed to get licenses for that many firearms.

Also with that many hunting trips there have to be stories and pictures,, feel free to share then when you get a moment to truly share the addiction.

Thank you again for the great welcome Gentleman

Brickburn yes our licensing proses will always be a contentious issue to say the least in SA. But currently 3-4 months for a license is not the end of the world although sometimes it does feel so. Patience has never been one of my strong virtues.

The list of my Ruger's are as follow;
9mm SR9C
45 ACP SR1911
22LR 77/22
22LR SR22
223 Rem Ackley Improved VT
223 Rem Mag SR223
22-250 Rem Ackley Improved VT
243 Win Ackley Improved Tactical
25-06 Rem Ackley Improved VT
6,5 Creedmoor Predator
7x57 Ackley Improved RSI International
7mm Rem Mag M77 Mark II
30-06 Ackley Improved M77 Mark II
300 Win Mag M77 Mark II
338 Win Mag African
375 Ruger Alaskan
375 H&H Ackley Improved RSM
416 Ruger Alaskan
416 Rigby RSM
458 Lott RSM
505 Gibbs

We do some culling of quad bikes in Namibia each year where most of the smaller calibers gets a chance and then about 6-8 trips in our hunting season where the rest gets to show there mettle. I also try to fit in a big game safari at the year end where the heavies gets a run. But I use them often on normal hunting trips as well as they give me enormous pleasure in hunting with them. They are truly addictive as you probably well know yourself. I sometimes if times allow do some back up work on our own ranch but this is happening less and less. I must admit that I am truly blessed in the hunting arena and there is not a day that passed that I give thank for this unbelievable privilege.

Regards
Wouter

Welcome to AH Wouter! Wow... you'll fit right in, impressive indeed! Nice to have you with us and feel free to fire away… Looking forward to it.

Welcome to AH, Wouter !

Welcome to AH Wouter. I like you luster of Rugers. I am very fond of the brand myself. What animals do you have on your Game Ranch in the Northwest area? I've been up there once and hunted lion and gemsbok .
Great area but very remote as I had to charter a plane to go in.

Welcome, I hunted with Henry Griffith close to Piet Plessis and love that area.

Welcome Wouter!
Wow sounds like your having a blast on those hunting trips!

We do some culling of quad bikes
I have one Suzuki and have had some Yamahas that needed culling but been pretty satisfied with the Honda's. What caliber do you find works best to cull those pesky things? I've used a .223 in the past with FMJ ammo, but thinking of trying a solid through the crankcase with the 505 Gibbs!

Seriously, sorry for ribbing you, I'm sure you meant culling off quad bikes. Which sounds both fun and effective... Some of you guys over there live a charmed life to be able to do these things regularly. I'm more jealous of that than all the guns!

Welcome!

You've come to the right place! And you'll find plenty of Ruger fans here. @ActionBob will probably be jealous of all of the Rugers you own!!! ;)
There are certainly more serious Ruger fans on the board than me, but I do have a thing for the RSM's and Express models. What is not to like about fine workmanship and beautiful lines with lots of character. Add in reasonable cost and great calibers and you can't loose.

However I also love my Winchesters, my one (so far) CZ and bought a Forbes, of all things, yesterday. And have to go pick up my fist Kimber Caprivi one of these days soon. So I am spreading the love around a bit:)

Welcome to AH Wouter! Enjoy the site.

Welcome to AH! Nice collection of guns. Please post up some pics of your hunts.

Thank you Gents again for the warm welcome!

ActionBob Hahaha! You do have me there! Please excuse my grammar and syntax as this is my second language. But I must be honest and say that I have considered putting a bullet trough my Kingquad at some stage as it was consistently cutting out in the afternoons due to heat. There can be no amount off frustration than can compare to springbuck or gemsbuck leering at you from a distance with a quad that does not want to start!

My affinity for Rugers is due to my first gun being one and my compulsive disorder has taken over from there. It could have easily been the same with quite a few brands and Sako, Winchester and CZ comes readily to mind as brands that would have served me well. I have read quite a few things on the Kimber make and must admit that the positives abound on it. Unfortunately we don't see a lot of them here in SA witch seems to be a great pity to say the least as it looks to be a great DG rifle.

On Geelhout we have most of the common plains game with the exception of springbuck. We would like to introduce springbuck this year but prices are ridiculous to say the least. It is also a animal that relocates with some difficulty so you have to throw numbers at it if you do wish to be successful in establishing them. We have done some extensive clearance of bush to accommodate species that prefers this habitat though. Buffalo, lion, leopard and cheetah round of the species. We finally received our lion exemption after two frustrating years in the waiting and I must say this has been a welcome addition to the hunting we offer. As we are close to the Botswana border leopard and in the last six moths cheetah have become a serious problem. Cheetah catches prey daily and with game prices souring in the last two years this has a serious financial implication on your bottom line of operations.

Jeff if I am not mistaken but we met two/three years back when you hunted on Geelhout. Your lovely wife Sue accompanied you on the trip. It is absolutely wonderful to hear from you again and I hope you are well. Please send my regards to Sue as well. What a small wonderful world!

Regards
Wouter

Welkom Wouter! Jy gaan sommer vinnig klomp vriende maak op AH.com

Vra as jy wonder oor enige iets of funksionaliteit.

Groete,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jack849688

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg