Internet purchased JP Sauer gun problems. Any opinions?

If there is enough wood, you typically carve a thin channel from the inside of the stock or two and lay all-thread (tiny allthread) in the channels loosely engulfed by two part epoxy or acriglass. You can then glass bed the action and recoil lug and completely conceal it Internally for more stability. At that point, structurally, your gun is repaired. What remains is to restore the wood. The wood looks like it would clean up very nicely. The wood doesn’t seem to have lost material over time from sanding or wear. With a proper oil finish and rotten stone and slacum grain fill on the stock it will look fantastic.

The price you paid of $1550 without the crack was correct. I dont think $1400 cracked is a good starting point.

I understand now about the all thread. I was envisioning drilling and inserting.

Like I said above, the linked rifle isn't the one I purchased. Just a very similar one.

The price you paid of $1550 without the crack was correct. I dont think $1400 cracked is a good starting point.

The shop owner was under the impression that it was an $800ish rifle before we saw the crack. I'm not sure where he's running across good condition pre war Sauer sporters for that price.

The question is whether it's worth $1400 as repaired.

And just to be clear I'm not looking to put this on anyone else. I'm just looking for different viewpoints so thanks everyone for chiming in.

I forgot we took some pics.

20210712_125549.jpg

20210712_125411.jpg

Easy to see when you know it's there and highlighted but well blended.

And yes I know there is a chip out around the floor plate but that doesn't bother me as long as it's clean which it is.

There are stock guys who specialize in repairing and concealing cracked stocks. If you keep it, it may not need to be restocked.

Reactions: CJW
There are stock guys who specialize in repairing and concealing cracked stocks. If you keep it, it may not need to be restocked.

I don't have pics of the other side but it's cracked in the same spot and it is more worrisome to me as I think more on it because the wood seemed even thinner on that side.

As long as the screws are easy to get out I'm going to take it apart and have a look later today.

I personally believe that stock has been significantly compromised regardless how it was repaired. The wrist is one thing, lateral cracks through the action and magazine housing or another - particularly on both sides of the rifle. It would be an issue that would worry me significantly, as long as I owned it regardless of how it might be repaired.

As @rookhawk and I also tried to note, a new stock alone will cost you more than the rifle would be worth when restored - considerably more. For that 3 - 5K total investment, you can find a superb period Mauser in wonderful condition in a traditional caliber. There are several on Guns International as I type.

Also, I am fairly certain that is not a pre-war rifle. The proof marks will tell us, but very, very few were built in 30-06. On the other hand, quite a few were in the years immediately following the war by gunsmiths (makers) for American officers in the occupation forces. These can be very fine rifles indeed (some extraordinary ones), but will not carry the cache' (or value) of an actual pre-war commercial Mauser.

It looks to me to very much be a pre-war Sauer. The stock escutheon and octagon or flat rib barrels are also things popular prior to WWI into early 1920s. I thought it was a 7x57 which is a completely believable caliber, the more common 8x57J would be even more likely. I had to look the gun over a few times because it looked like a classic GEW 88 rifle rather than a Mauser 98 in stock design and barrel type. I think it is a Mauser 98 though.

.30-06 is not a likely caliber but I never say never.

The crack is in an unfortunate spot, but I think in this caliber it is possible to do a decent repair on it. This being possible is furthered by the fact the stock is bolstered (the flat tops on both sides) that give you more meat for a repair than a "normal" stock contour.

I really don't like the wear to the floor plate though. Beyond being ugly, that material that is missing is important to the integrity of the gun, especially with the break/repair going on.

I've seen premium guns of this type that had loads of features including claw mounts, pop up front night sights, and express leafs, plus engraved cartridge traps, go for $1100-$1400.

The price sounds premium for a broken example. There is no upside to the gun which is a pity because the barreled action looks delightful.

I made it to the shop and we are sending it back. Upon even closer examination the crack starts at the top of the stock and does indeed travel completely to the bottom. It was super hard to detect but if you looked closely you could see a sort of snake track zig zag at the very bottom where it worked its way to the outside face grain and made a long thin flap type split. Overall it was probably at least a 6" span. Combined with the starting crack on the other side I just didn't want to mess with it and I don't want it in my cabinet as a reminder that I paid too much and I can't justify or afford a new stock now. I didn't disassemble it so I have no clue how it's fixed. But 30-06 recoil in that light gun would always make me wonder and there is no way I would drag it anywhere to hunt with it in that condition. What would happen if it split in half out in the woods here or worse if I decided to take it out west or even Africa in the future?

Honestly if they would have been willing to get into contact with the seller again and we could have worked out a much cheaper price I would have kept it as it is very neat but the guy I talked to was completely unwilling and just told me to send it back if I didn't like it. I can live without it.

Thanks guys.

I made it to the shop and we are sending it back. Upon even closer examination the crack starts at the top of the stock and does indeed travel completely to the bottom. It was super hard to detect but if you looked closely you could see a sort of snake track zig zag at the very bottom where it worked its way to the outside face grain and made a long thin flap type split. Overall it was probably at least a 6" span. Combined with the starting crack on the other side I just didn't want to mess with it and I don't want it in my cabinet as a reminder that I paid too much and I can't justify or afford a new stock now. I didn't disassemble it so I have no clue how it's fixed. But 30-06 recoil in that light gun would always make me wonder and there is no way I would drag it anywhere to hunt with it in that condition. What would happen if it split in half out in the woods here or worse if I decided to take it out west or even Africa in the future?

Honestly if they would have been willing to get into contact with the seller again and we could have worked out a much cheaper price I would have kept it as it is very neat but the guy I talked to was completely unwilling and just told me to send it back if I didn't like it. I can live without it.

Thanks guys.
I think you made a very wise decision.

Thanks guys.
You'll find a vintage in far better condition and be pleased you made the right decision.

You'll find a vintage in far better condition and be pleased you made the right decision.

I might add, I had one that was like this but in better condition (not a cracked stock) that needed a nice stock refinish and a bit of bluing to the small parts. I sold it on this forum for a fraction of the prices discussed In this thread. The buyer was happy, I was satisfied. Nice pre-war german guild Mausers are a bargain but the one in this thread was not.

I might add, I had one that was like this but in better condition (not a cracked stock) that needed a nice stock refinish and a bit of bluing to the small parts. I sold it on this forum for a fraction of the prices discussed In this thread. The buyer was happy, I was satisfied. Nice pre-war german guild Mausers are a bargain but the one in this thread was not.
True. I've restored several rifles but not with the extent of damage your one had.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JudeWjg34

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross