AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
USA, Canada, West Germany, Namibia, Romania, South Africa
I was in the airport Monday evening, waiting on a plane and had an interesting conversation with a returning hunter concerning his first safari experience. After exchanging the usual pleasantries (what did you hunt, where did you go, etc.) he stated flatly that he would never, ever return to hunt Africa. The airport was loud and the masks made it difficult to clearly hear everything that was said, but here is the gist of the conversation:

Apparently he had won a safari on a raffle or auction for $100. The hunter (who appeared to be in his late 20s to early 30s) had flown over with his father and brother for a week-long safari. After a couple of days in-country however, he developed COVID-19 and was quarantined at the hunting camp or lodge. Although his hunting party successfully harvested a number of animals, he only got out for two days of hunting himself. The COVID had hit him pretty hard, leaving him weak and short of breath; and it was quite obvious during our short conversation that he was still suffering the after-effects. He mentioned being shuttled between a couple of different outfitters (or PHs, wasn't real clear on this) in the Free State during his unintentionally extended stay. Given these circumstances, his father didn't want to leave when the hunting was finished; but was told it would cost an additional $4000 per week to remain with his ailing son. So the father and brother returned home at the end of the hunt.

I made a comment to the effect that at least he must have finally tested negative, but he corrected me by stating that he continued to test positive for the virus. After 17 days in-country, he had been allowed to leave based on a Doctor's statement that he was not contagious and was therefore, safe to travel via airline. He was very displeased by the entire situation. I suggested that he post a report of his experiences on this and/or other hunting-oriented website(s), and he agreed that he would do so.

To the hunter, whoever you are -- I do hope that you made it back to Louisiana safely, and that you recover fully from the effects of this insidious disease. And I also hope that you share your story so that the rest of us can learn and benefit from your hard-won knowledge and experience.

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad he made it back. No one wants that kind of adventure. :(
Guessing he did not get the vax or did he say?

Did he say where he was hunting and with whom? $571 per day, wow, talk about a rip off.

Unless there are more details that you didn’t catch, I really don’t feel how this was an “Africa” problem.

If he was on a Caribbean vacation, and got sick, he would be forced to stay, and pay for his hotel.

I would like to hear a report from the healthy members, and see if they enjoyed the hunt! I really hope you conveyed to him not to let this experience spoil Africa.

Shootist: He did not state whether or not he was vaccinated and under the circumstances I did not press the issue.

Para45: I do not know the name of the outfitter, and even if I did, would not repeat it here based on my lack of first-hand knowledge.

Aaron N: Never said it was an African problem. Was kind of hoping that the hunter would come on here and file a report / fill in some of the details once he returned home and was felt well enough to do so.

The other day when I purchased my airfare for next years hunt I debated long and hard on the full cost of the trip insurance that included evacuation from South Africa along with the medical insurance.

In the end I figured that in these times that the extra cost was well worth it.

I can't imagine a first time hunter knowing that he should have full coverage insurance but his travel agent should of told him about it. But then if you are not using a travel agent who is familiar with hunting Africa or if he did the tickets himself I can see where he got into problems.

I'm surprised that he didn't mention the problem of importing his firearms and the SAP's 520 form along with some customary money exchanges.

I am also surprised that his father just didn't get a hotel room in the nearest city that could accommodate him where he could check on his son daily. It also sounds like what the outfitter wanted to do with the excessive cost of a week stay was to regroup what he donated to the auction for the hunt

Unless there are more details that you didn’t catch, I really don’t feel how this was an “Africa” problem.

If he was on a Caribbean vacation, and got sick, he would be forced to stay, and pay for his hotel.

I would like to hear a report from the healthy members, and see if they enjoyed the hunt! I really hope you conveyed to him not to let this experience spoil Africa.
Exactly my thoughts. A situation I wouldn't wish on anyone...but not an "African thing." Getting COVID anywhere overseas is going to be an enormous hassle at best. I'll NOT going to ask whether he was vaccinated, as I'm kinda tired of that particular subject! When I first began reading the post, I was sure this was going to be another "I won a safari with an outfitter I knew nothing about and they were a sham operation." I've heard enough horror stories about trips won at the local auction and to decide that I'll never bid on such a hunt unless it's with a known outfitter with a great reputation that has been in business a long time.

It is hard not to brand the shirt one was wearing when something bad happened.
The horror stories in the news about cruise ship incidents probably do the same for some people.
If the rest of the family/hunters enjoyed the hunting of Africa then it might come around again with a different ending.

Glad he made it back. No one wants that kind of adventure. :(
Guessing he did not get the vax or did he say?
Thats not a safe assumption that he hadnt gotten the jab. Thats why there is now a big push for a 3rd shot because the efficacy of the first two has fallen off dramatically especially as regards Delta.
The shots aint all their cracked up to be.
Better than nothing? Maybe, only time will tell.

A month or so ago a friend called and told me he bought a South African hunt at an auction. He stated that it was just to cheap to pass up. Hunt included day rates only for five days for up to four hunters. He paid $500 for the hunt which is good for 2021 or 2022. He asked if I wanted to go. I checked the outfitters website and it appeared to be from a very high end outfit. The lodge and accommodations were nothing short of luxurious as were the trophy fees. Due to the high trophy fees and short duration of the hunt I passed. I'm betting my buddy just learned a $500 lesson.

It would have been good information to know if he had had the jab or not. Even if just a sample of one and all that. I do hope he posts his thoughts for all to see.

It's also possible he contacted the virus in the US or on the way over and it just became symptomatic two days after arrival. Him "not" having had the shot (if that were the case) would tell me a lot, but maybe that's just me. Same if he "was" fully vaccinated - (that would make me more hesitant to do another safari any time soon).

FWIW, I had the J&J April 2 and did my safari in late July. No issues other than severe jetlag as far as I can tell.

Edit to add: The local large medical provider/hospital system here posted a few days ago that 93% of the current covid hospital admissions were people who had not been vaccinated.

When you get sick, of course it ruins your day.
If it happens during hunting, it ruins the day more.
And if it happens during hunting in Africa, it would be even worse, i would say it is a cluster - f@$&k.

However, bad luck aside, Africa has nothing to do with this.
Outfiter might come down with some option for cheaper lodging for a father as well.

There is also a question of due diligence and research before going to Africa, when i went there I paid for travel insurance which covered the eventual medical expenses up to some sum. Etc....

We dont know how the trip was prepared, so jumping to conclusion would be to soon, i wish the hunter to recover soon, and come back to this forum to share the experience, we may all learn something from it.

It would have been good information to know if he had had the jab or not. Even if just a sample of one and all that. I do hope he posts his thoughts for all to see.

It's also possible he contacted the virus in the US or on the way over and it just became symptomatic two days after arrival. Him "not" having had the shot (if that were the case) would tell me a lot, but maybe that's just me. Same if he "was" fully vaccinated - (that would make me more hesitant to do another safari any time soon).

FWIW, I had the J&J April 2 and did my safari in late July. No issues other than severe jetlag as far as I can tell.

Edit to add: The local large medical provider/hospital system here posted a few days ago that 93% of the current covid hospital admissions were people who had not been vaccinated.
Doesnt alter the fact that the jab has lost its efficacy, to about 50 percent. In short its not doing the job intended, thus the drive for more jabs. It wont ever end.
There a lot of folks out there with 2 jabs coming down with Covid. That is undeniable, so whats the point?
Oh I know, "well you wont die if you get the jab".. OK.

Doesnt alter the fact that the jab has lost its efficacy, to about 50 percent. In short its not doing the job intended, thus the drive for more jabs. It wont ever end.
There a lot of folks out there with 2 jabs coming down with Covid. That is undeniable, so whats the point?
Oh I know, "well you wont die if you get the jab".. OK.
I'd just as soon not be in that 93% group.
And I only had one jab.

There are always two sides to a story, let's wait. Even after this person has posted I would want to hear from the outfitter too. Some outfitters are hyenas I suppose, but some clients are hell on wheels too.

I'd just as soon not be in that 93% group.
And I only had one jab.
Early on I was waiting for the JJ to arrive at my local pharmacy where they were giving shots every day almost. I went in one day and asked, they said they didnt have any. OK.
Wasnt two weeks later it got pulled temporarily for possible problems with it. I never went back, and remain unvaccinated at this point.

Thats not a safe assumption that he hadnt gotten the jab. Thats why there is now a big push for a 3rd shot because the efficacy of the first two has fallen off dramatically especially as regards Delta.
The shots aint all their cracked up to be.
Better than nothing? Maybe, only time will tell.
for a pathogen with a low mortality rate on a vaccine which is novel...I would say there is more risk in the vaccines.

The numbers the press/politicians should be talking about are things like mortality rate of people with no comorbidities vs those with comorbidities like morbid obesity, diabetes, and COPD.

Maybe I'm just not watching the right channels, but as far as I can tell, they are totally silent on these two points, and that speaks quite loudly regarding mendacity and/or incompetence of press/politicians.

I've seen a few doctors making SWAGS (on the info that has been released WRT covid) that perhaps as many as 40-50K people have died from the vaccines. At least with Salk's first attempt at a polio vaccine, he didn't kill 40-50K people, he only infected 40-50K people with polio.

That is purely speculative, of course, but the speculation is on account of we know they are lying, and they know we know they are lying, and they know we know they know. And they continue to prevaricate.

Consider the mortality rate of 2 known pathogens
1. tetanus mortality rate is 50% (if unvaccinated)
2. small pox is about 30-35%

Those kinds of numbers justify risk.

Been saying for months. With limited exposure to large groups of strange people, use of some common sense, (a rare commodity these days), and chances of exposure to Covid is minimal.
One thing I know for certain, I like most people really dont like some no nothing idiot like Joe Biteme telling me "FOR GODS SAKE GET VACCINATED!". Same with the little twit Fauci and any number of other govt mouth pieces screaming at us all day long and threatening us with all manner of draconian bullshit like they got going on in Australia. Screw that!

One shot deal--didn't work. Two shot deal--maybe temporarily good. Three shot deal---who the hell knows. They don't have a very good track record with any of it. But as long as the money keeps rolling in they don't give a damn.

Here in NV da gov just reinstated mandatory masks. Come to find out his Chinese wife's family has a factory in China that manufactures masks. Hmmm.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpathianHunters

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!