Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SAJW
Good day members

This will be our second re-enactment 1880 era black powder hunt in May 2016. It seems like a favorite type of hunt among our South African hunters since we came from a historical back ground/war that laid the foundation for such a type of hunt.

I was just wondering , with our Rand currency at such a historical low...will there be interest in such a type of hunt from American members where you will be hunting on your own, shooting your game on foot , dressing it, processing it and live from the veld as we are doing it...there are no trophies involved , you shoot /hunt what cross your path if it qualifies for a trophy it is to you advantage... the accommodation will consist of your own pioneer tent, an ox wagon or your own bedroll as you like it. We live from the venison processed , skins tanned , bake bread in a river bed, start fire with a flint stone.. ect..

If there are members contemplating such a hunt..feel free to contact me at godendaal@hotmail.com keep in mind there are no outfitters involve, you will be invited and it will be a normal plains game/bushveld type hunt just with black powder rifles and in a 1880 era environment....you will be welcome to share your knowledge with fellow members regarding this type of hunt...

I really would like to see if there are interested hunters ...

Regards

Gert

Hi Gert..............I would love to do this, and have everything that I think would be necessary................but the logistic difficulties in getting my things to Africa is substantial. A tent and bedding are bulky, and blackpowder cartridges are not legally transported on an aircraft. Love the idea, but maybe impractical for us here in the USA............................FW Bill

Bill, you are always welcome..what I will do is the following..I will build a Pioneer tent with all the bedding for you next year..so all you need is to bring yourself and your rifle..I will book your place for 2017 ...I need to build myself another tent and one of the tents will be yours to use for next year...all the bedding will be provided. So consider yourself as a participant for 2017 hunt ....I will be building the extra tent through the year and it will be completed in advance for next year...If you will be so kind as to look for a 1871/84 Mauser ( black powder ) and bring it with you I will give you the money in advance...I will look on American gun forums for such a rifle and send you the links...I really would like you to participate in this hunt...

Kind Regards

Gert

Awesome and generous offer, Gert.............I am already looking for the right rifle for you............I will keep you posted on my progress on all fronts..............Bill

Thank you Bill, it is much appreciated. I was thinking about you need only to bring the brass and cast bullets , we will supply the black powder so you can do your re-loading in the camp there will be ample time ...it will eliminates the difficulties to move around black powder through customs which I thought to be highly unlikely...
I want to see if your Moccasins will hold up in our bush veld thorns..they can be quite nasty when penetrating a hunter`s feet...Willie Barnard is the local doctor and will even

moccasins were made for the American South West, too.....lots of stout thorns. These are what I will bring...............................BTW........the powder offer will make everything possible: my 45-90 Sharps about duplicates the performance of the M-H, but I also have a 40-65, two 45-70's, and a 38-55. The last one being suitable only for game of about 50kg.........................thanks.....................Bill

Bill, we have a lot of 45-70 ammo /brass available...black powder we have more than enough....primers as well...would it be possible to bring in brass for your 45-90 Sharps or do we need to fire form some brass for you? Will it still be possible to fly in for this year`s hunt if we can get you all the ammo/brass/black powder? It is not that cold in winter here in the Limpopo so we can erect a canvas for you to sleep under like Johan Greyling did ....there are Hyena and leopard in and around the camp but at this stage no hunter was attack while the hyena and leopard walked around the camp..

Bill, if you are toting a number nine shoe it will be much better if you make your own "velskoene" raw cow hide shoes in camp, raw means processed without any hair on the cow skin..it is one activity every one needs to complete before the end of the hunt..

Getting, last 3 months cannot log on to AH from home. ?. Still looking for a rifle.... Bill

Thank you Bill, it is appreciated. Bill, please see if you will be able to attend 2017, 1880 Era black powder hunt? I will build another 1880 era tent , just bring your rifle and clothes ,...

Just checked in on this thread yesterday to see when this years report comes on. Looking forward to it. Gert I wish I could make it in 17, I would very much like to join you and your friends for this grand adventure. It would be a high light of times.

Good day to you TallGrassHunter
There will be places for at least two foreign hunters in 2017 . You are more than welcome to participate in the hunt next year. I have just completed preparations and will load the trailer shortly. We will be departing tomorrow morning early ...(y)
Kind Regards
Gert

Gert....I will be there 2017. Sharps Business Rifle, moccasins and all....FWB

I just put my rifle up for sale! Argh.
Hawken 1.JPG

Read through the article and wow that sounds like a helluva time!

That .58 rifle of mine probably would have a wonderful time burning the fffg. I still have a .50 and .54 to play with. Both are a little more modern than I'd like but kinda look old.

Hmmm. I think I will already be in RSA in May 2017.

Dates?

Last edited:
Flatwater Bill/HuntingGold
Good day to you gentleman, I have just return from the 1880 Black Powder hunt. I will be getting back to you regarding the dates of the hunt in 2107 ...I will start a new thread about this hunt.. please be so kind as to follow the thread...
Regards
Gert

Gert, I will follow the thread. It is not easy now, as I cannot access AH from home....somehow my IP address is blocked. But I still check the site when traveling... As I am now

Actually, the 1888 Lee-Metford .303 in its original black powder loading could fit into your paradigm and be an 80's BP weapon

Thanks Jerome. I was afraid I was being blocked because someone found those old fotos of me and Michelle O. What a relief. I will send IP #
FWB

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marquesgriffin

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois