Interarms Whitworth/Weatherby FN ??

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by Ray B, Apr 20, 2018.

1. Ray B

Ray B AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    I have a barrel that was made for a 300 Weatherby DeLuxe FN that I would like to find an action to fit. I see an Interarms Whitworth express 375 H&H being offered and I am wondering if the Mauser style actions were similar in the receiver diameter/shank/threads so that a barrel from one would fit the other.

2. Clodo Ferreira

Clodo Ferreira AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Hi Ray,

The Interarms Withworth and the FN are, other than the finish, the same action. I think the Interarms would be a perfect one to use your barrel.
    Good luck!

3. Areaonereal

Areaonereal AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Headspace would not be the same in all probability so have it checked by a gunsmith

4. Clodo Ferreira

Video/Photo:
    Hi A.

Agree! Although the probabilities are high the headspace of the FN barrel in an Interarms Withworth action would be close enough, EVERY TIME a barrel from a rifle is used in another, even of the same brand and running lot, the headspace should be checked!

5. Dinsdale

Dinsdale AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Other then the headspace issue; if the WBY has sights, it would seem unlikely they would index.

6. Ray B

Ray B AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    The barrel has no sights. I'm aware that when the gunsmith attaches the barrel, to set the headspace it may involve removing a thread (or not), but my main concern is whether the threads on the barrel would match those on the action. I didn't want to purchase a rifle, intending on having the barrel swapped, only to be told by the gunsmith that they didn't fit.

7. Clodo Ferreira

Video/Photo:
    Hi Ray,

The barrel threads WILL match the action's! If the barrel comes from an FN Mauser action and the new one is an Interarms Withworth. That Serbian (or Yugoslavian depending its age) Interarms Mauser action's were/are made with the former FN machinery, belgians sold to that Yogoslavian factory.

8. Von S.

Von S. AH Veteran

1.10 by 12 by .625

But don't be surprised if it's greater than .625