Interarms Mark X

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Just picked up this nice Interarms Mark X from my dealer. Can't wait to try it out!

20221028_114925.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice Full stock what caliber ?

Great rifle, great cartridge!
Enjoy & thanks for sharing.
Thanks! I bought it to hunt with cast bullets with the open sights. I bought some 150 grain round nose 30-30 jacketed bullets to shoot at modest velocity until I decide what mold I want to buy.

Been doing cast bullets for revolvers for a while but been playing more with cast rifle bullets lately and enjoying that.

You’re going to have a ball with those loads!
Depending on the cost & availability of lead I’d try a good 200gr cast bullet. A gas check will let you run it a bit faster, but if you just want a fun moderate velocity you can forgo the GC.
let us know how you’re doing.

Thanks! I bought it to hunt with cast bullets with the open sights. I bought some 150 grain round nose 30-30 jacketed bullets to shoot at modest velocity until I decide what mold I want to buy.

Been doing cast bullets for revolvers for a while but been playing more with cast rifle bullets lately and enjoying that.
@9412765
A good gas check bullet with at least a 67% meplat seems to be the best type of hunting bullet from what I have read on cast bullet sites. Montana bullet works have some I would love to try in my son's 308 but can't get them in Australia.
Bob
Screenshot_20221031-085100_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20221031-085038_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20221031-085001_Chrome.jpg

These are some I would love to try I think they would be great

@Bob Nelson 35Whelen

Thanks! I ended up ordering a 2-cavity Lyman 311299. I think I'll be able to shoot it around 2,000 w/o a check, which is my goal. My Lyman 358009 clone shoots almost as well naked as with a check in my Whelen...within a 0.100" or two at 100yds.

Shot the interarms tonight and it shot around 1.7" at 60 yards with a 150gr round nose copper-patched 30-30 bullet I picked up. Since it's a 20" barrel, trying to keep pressures (noise) moderate. Lost daylight, but I'll do final check on last sight adjustment and I think it's ready to hunt!

Powder coating is another option with cast bullets.
Yup, I powder coat and check, omit the lube. That's why I can omit the check as well and get nearly same results, the paint on the base of the bullet acts to protect hot gases from getting by base and gas cutting bullet/leading the barrel. Powder coated with the check still gives slightly better accuracy though.

That's a very nice rifle. I'm a bit of an Interarms Mauser 98 geek from way back when I started shooting African calibers in a Whitworth .375.
From my old gun magazines, and reading a lot, your rifle looks like an early, initial product with the straight comb, basketweave checkering, butterknife bolt handle and inside the trigger guard magazine release.

Which is to say the best quality from Interarms in the early years, circa 1976-1980. I have handled this exact model at a gun show and they handle like a dream. I have my eye on a 7x57 like this but still haven't justified another 7mm, as my Winchester 70 Featherweight, CRF SC production is a tack driver.

On another note, let us know your results with cast bullet loads in the 30-06.
I have tried some Oregon Trail 30 caliber, 170 grain FNGC under a moderate charge of AA 5744, and got tight chambering, and tumbling bullets out of a post war Husqvarna FN M98 Mauser, with a slower twist barrel (1 in 12). I haven't experimented too much on this, thinking I may need Lyman M dies for cast bullets. I need to try powder coating as I read good results from this.

What dies or you using for cast bullets?

Not to hijack your thread.

That is an awesome rifle, especially for woods or hunting from a stand.

Let us know how she shoots.

That's a very nice rifle. I'm a bit of an Interarms Mauser 98 geek from way back when I started shooting African calibers in a Whitworth .375.
From my old gun magazines, and reading a lot, your rifle looks like an early, initial product with the straight comb, basketweave checkering, butterknife bolt handle and inside the trigger guard magazine release.

Which is to say the best quality from Interarms in the early years, circa 1976-1980. I have handled this exact model at a gun show and they handle like a dream. I have my eye on a 7x57 like this but still haven't justified another 7mm, as my Winchester 70 Featherweight, CRF SC production is a tack driver.

On another note, let us know your results with cast bullet loads in the 30-06.
I have tried some Oregon Trail 30 caliber, 170 grain FNGC under a moderate charge of AA 5744, and got tight chambering, and tumbling bullets out of a post war Husqvarna FN M98 Mauser, with a slower twist barrel (1 in 12). I haven't experimented too much on this, thinking I may need Lyman M dies for cast bullets. I need to try powder coating as I read good results from this.

What dies or you using for cast bullets?

Not to hijack your thread.

That is an awesome rifle, especially for woods or hunting from a stand.

Let us know how she shoots.
Not a hijack, helpful info. It's a very handy little rifle. I was shooting a 30-30 class load last evening and got a small flash out of the 20" barrel. I'll keep you posted when I have time to cast some up and test.

I use various die sets (RCBS, Lee, Hornady), but for bottle-necked rifles, I buy the Lyman M die you mentioned. They make them in most common sizes or I've used the 35 cal for 9.3mm before. All my straight wall pistol and rifle die sets have all come with a die to bell.

One problem is belling too far where the case mouths will no longer enter the seating/crimping die.

As a follow up, I did an initial trial with the Lyman 311299. I sized them 0.310". They weigh 203gr PC'd and gas checked in Lyman #2 alloy. I used 5744 and got 1820f/s and 1.2-1.5" groups at 60 yards. I want to run this one up in velocity and see if I can get those kind of groups at 100 yards. It will be a challenge with the open sights for me. I can get that kind of accuracy with cast bullets in my 35 whelen at 100 yards, but it has a telescopic sight. I am working on another cast bullet load for my 35 whelen as well. Just finding the time to do it, all work and no play right now.
20230224_194727.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jostepan

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois