Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, ATA, PITA, DU, TU, DSC, SCI, RMEF, QU & PU
Hunted
USA - Canada -Tanzania, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Namibia
The Question becomes do hunters intentionally wound big game animals?

On an different thread there is reference to hunters intentionally wounding African Big Game animals.

The jest of the comment were to obtain better camera footage for there personal hunting video or for sale video.

In talking to many PH's and hunters i have not had "1" say that they purposely shoot to wound any big game animal, the intent is to shoot to kill.

Again i was watching a Boddington video and the PH's interviewed indicated that sometimes hunters will stretch there ability and do wound plains and dangerous game animals...

Now the distance for this error can be measured in yards. Every hunter should know what there limits are and stay within those limits...

I was surprised how close PH & hunters were to Elephants before shooting the elephant, usually with in 10 to 15 yards. And even at these short distance the PH sometimes had to back up the client.

I know that i would like the animal to lay where it was hit and the trackers and PH i know would like it that way also.

The aim is to put an animal down as quickly and humanely as possible, without it having to endure any unnecessary suffering. To purposefully and intentionally wound any animal is seriously unethical, and i'd like to see that person on the receiving end rather.

I was once told by one of the most successful PH's i know, that the day you look down the barrel at your quarry, and your body doesn't "shake like a whore in church" and pump full of adrenaline, that's the day you put down your rifle. We should give thanks for the animal which is about to lose its life. I guess it's just a matter of respect for nature, a respect for life, and a respect for the animals, no matter how big or small that we spend our lives pursuing.

Marshy

NOBODY intentionally wounds animals except the person discussed in that other thread.

THAT is why his name is a lightning rod for controversy.

Terminator

I do think you are right on...No one intentionally wounds a plains or dangerous game animal...

As a PH so eloquently stated on here that they are there to assist the client if they are called on or are needed...and in the follow up if the wrong animal is shot by the PH that they would have to pay for the animal...

I would be willing to bet that unless you have positive prof and not hearsay...there is not a hunter or PH in the industry that would want to inflict pain and suffering on any game animal...

NOBODY intentionally wounds animals except the person discussed in that other thread.

THAT is why his name is a lightning rod for controversy.

Now we are not talking about sticking a firecracker in a chicken beak and lighting it to see what would happen when you were a kid. Or lighting a ant hill on fire to see what happens...we are asking the question about intentionally wounding an game animal...:)

James there was a case here in Alberta where an "a***ole", I refuse to call him a hunter, here in Alberta that actually shot a Big Horn Ram intentionally in the guts and sat down within thirty yards of it with his rifle and waited for it to die. A Fish and Wildlife officer witnessed this and took pictures of this fool which were published in a local Game Warden Magazine (I think). It turned out he did not want to ruin the cape of the trophy. He also did not have a tag, etc.

Now the sad part, he could not be charged with cruelty....etc. Only for not having a license. The F&W officer was quote upset that he could not do worse to this guy.
I barely finished the article I was so mad. It infuriates me to this day to even think about it. So, there are people who will do these acts. When someone acts in this way they have permanently removed themselves from any fraternity of hunters that I know.

Last edited:
That guy wasn't a hunter...he was a POACHER!!!!

The guy HAD to have been nailed for illegal killing of a game animal and not just hunting without a license. I hope they took his gun at least and acutioned it off to get money for the Game Dept and I hope he got fined to the heavens

Brickburn

About 30 years ago nation geographic was doing a filming of bighorns on the Yellowstone drainage when they filmed an illegal hunt something close to what you are saying.

they did take the individuals gun, vehicle and he paid a hefty fine...the problem was he was able to buy his gun and the sheep mount at public auction...

Just a poacher...

The aim is to put an animal down as quickly and humanely as possible, without it having to endure any unnecessary suffering. To purposefully and intentionally wound any animal is seriously unethical, and i'd like to see that person on the receiving end rather.

I was once told by one of the most successful PH's i know, that the day you look down the barrel at your quarry, and your body doesn't "shake like a whore in church" and pump full of adrenaline, that's the day you put down your rifle. We should give thanks for the animal which is about to lose its life. I guess it's just a matter of respect for nature, a respect for life, and a respect for the animals, no matter how big or small that we spend our lives pursuing.

Marshy

Well said marshy.

The aim is to put an animal down as quickly and humanely as possible

Marshy, you could have stopped your reply right there. You hit the nail on the head!

Best Regards
Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris

BRICKBURN and TERMINATOR hit on it pretty well, if someone shoots at an animal to intentionally wound instead of kill, they are not a hunter.

My Dad gave me some pretty good advice when I started shooting, "...Son, when you line those sites up, you better be damn sure you are aiming to kill whatever is out there, because there ain't no getting that bullet back once you pull the trigger. God made that creature and ending it's life is a serious matter. Don't take it lightly."

nd

Marshy said "I was once told by one of the most successful PH's i know, that the day you look down the barrel at your quarry, and your body doesn't "shake like a whore in church" and pump full of adrenaline, that's the day you put down your rifle. "

Well Marshy, maybe it was wringing chicken necks for my mom to cook for supper, or shooting prairie dogs at the dog town a few hundred yards from my house, or running my trapline before school that made me a stone cold killer, but I can not remember ever having the shakes before dropping the hammer on any game. Excited, yes, but far from losing touch with reality.

In all fairness, I have never been hunted by an African lion, leopard, or ele, but I believe that If I prepared myself and my gear for the hunt like I did for my Cape Buff hunt, I would not lose my composure over taking a shot at most game. I had my first and second shot planned before first trigger squeeze. Fortunately Shot #1 went through the heart and on into the woods and the second shot was only to break down the pelvis to drop the beastie short of the brush. It worked and the ground shook and the dust flew when buff hit the ground.

I would never intentionally wound an animal, but when I was a teenager, I used to make an ethical shot that would result in the animal not dropping to the shot so I could practice following them up. Sorry, but I got good at it and never took a shot that caused the animal to suffer, at least not intentionally.

Hmmmm, that is intentionally wounding an animal, but you dont do it any more! Are you from Africa Kidogo?

I disagree that it was intentionally wounding an animal. The shot was always lethal and only resulted in a short trail. Difference between a shoulder shot and a lung shot. Never took a questionable shot too far back. Some might take a similar shot to avoid breaking bones and ruining meat. That said, I worry a lot less about meat loss now and do the best I can to make the most lethal anchoring shot regardless of meat damage. I am not from Africa, but I did learn to blood trail. That was a lot of years ago.

Never too old to come out to Africa Kidogo, if you havent been it will be a great adventure and if you have been you are most welcome back. Buff are now quite reasonable compared to ten years ago.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg