Hyde Hunter

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
life member NRA,CowBoy Fast Draw
have a shipment ready and Pieter at Badger Cargo asked if I wanted to insure it. cost very low but I wonder who has had a damage issue and what did it take to get payment so is it worth it? Gemsbuck shoulder mount 3 euro mounts (plains game) and a jackal. thanks

We used Badger last time. Good experience. Crates flew from JNB via Turkish airways to IAH without Insurance. No problems.

Our first shipment I paid for the insurance as I felt it protected me from lose. Since then I have declined the insurance as no one I know that sustained damage was able to collect on the "insurance" they paid for.
Once it hits the US by all means have it covered for the duration till it hits your doorstep. Your importer should have that accounted for and available. Just my $.02 before taxes of course.

I’ve usually decline the insurance. I felt it would be nearly impossible to collect on. I once had a shipper leave several trophies out of a shipment. They refused to communicate after initial reply, I just consider it a loss. I actually had insurance on that particular shipment.

Once it hits the US by all means have it covered for the duration till it hits your doorstep. Your importer should have that accounted for and available. Just my $.02 before taxes of course.
I usually decline that insurance as well. I thought it would be difficult to determine if damage was sustained before or after it arrived in USA and insurance would fight paying a claim?

thanks just what I wanted to know
Depends on what it costs. Probably not necessary. The value would be just the cost of the taxidermy most likely

I also have a shipment pending with Badger and declined on the insurance.

If anything does happen, trying to collect on an international shipment would be a nightmare, I don´t think it´s worth it.

Used Badger also, the insurance seemed reasonable to me, 530.00 to insure 59k. Insurance is one of those things, you are managing risk. Worse case the boat sinks, I could rehunt my safari and have everything remounted.

First crate, the insurance was for triple the cost of the taxidermy AND the hunt. I called them on it and had it reduced to a reasonable amount. Having imported six crates, from my perspective, it's just another way the criminals in RSA that have a hand in shipping can hose you. Agree with others, good luck filing a claim.

I know a gal from Montana who had her crate broken into by a couple of crack heads in the states at a truck hub. Stole her waterbuck horns , impala horns and blesbok horns. Truck company would only pay for the value of the horns on the open market. So truck company looked on ebay and gave her 328 dollars. The gal demanded more and truck company said sue us. I suggested to contact Safari Cargo in Africa who made the shipment to see if the insuranse would pay anything. After a couple months they gave her $2800 USD. That said, that's the only pay out I have ever heard of from Africa.
As for badger I don't know who they insure with.

I see over 40 crates a year and that's the only one I've ever seen with a problem.
Damaged mounts when they get here from Africa, a whole other story.

Used Badger also, the insurance seemed reasonable to me, 530.00 to insure 59k. Insurance is one of those things, you are managing risk. Worse case the boat sinks, I could rehunt my safari and have everything remounted.

You need to look at the policy, I highly doubt that they would cut you a check for 59K but only for the fair market value of the mounts, not what it took to get them.

It has all the animal cost and all the mount cost listed out along with the shipping costs and 10% for additional fees.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrittGibb4

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross