Input wanted from owners of new production Model 70 Safari Express rifles

Wood_Duck

AH member
Reaction score
Media
hi, Im new here and looking for input. I have the opportunity to get my hands on a brand new Model 70 Safari Express next week and I would like opinions on it. It’s my understanding that these are now Portuguese made weapons? I haven’t handled one in person to get a feel for it’s quality. I’m looking at the .375 model in particular. Currently my do-all is a .275 Rigby and I plan on a lion hunt in the semi-distant future. The .375 seems the natural choice for jack of all trades since it can be loaded for plinking/small game or dangerous game. Would primarily be for bear in the meantime for me. Should I go through with the purchase I’m also going to immediately have the barrel shortened to either 20 or 21” along with sending the receiver and bottom metal to be color case hardened. Im also looking at QD/claw style mounts so I can quickly swap configurations based off hunting locations.

I have one in .375HH. It's a bit on the heavy side for the caliber and the stock is a little fat. But all mine does is shoot accurately, feed and eject as it should.

No plans to ever sell it, will be passed onto one of my sons.

If you continue on with the African hunting bug, you'll likely move on to bigger bores. But a somewhat heavy .375HH is a great first step in that direction.

I also Own one of the New M70s in 375HH and yes it does feel a little heavy but so is the CZ550. I'm still working on loads but as the rifle breaks in the groups are getting better(I sight in at 200 yds) as far as workmanship and quality I think it's a quality Rifle.
IMG_1716.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
For $1500 new plus or minus....you can't go wrong with a Safari Express. Have a 1992 model that has a history and is not for sale. Have a NOS model 3 or 4 years old in box, I will let go for $1100.

Last edited:
I have 3 of the newer Mod70's in .243, .30-06 and .375H&H. I cannot talk enough good of any of these rifles. They all have super smooth actions and not once have any of them let me down. My .375 is my go to rifle and does it feel like an extension of my arm whenever I pick it up. I am currently in the market for a .458 Mod70 and hope to add one in the near future. I am already completely at peace of mind knowing that I will not be disappointed with my next purchase.

I have a Winchester Model 70 Safari Express in 375 I bought about a year ago. Love it. Took it to FTW Ranch for a safari prep class and was amazed by the performance.We shot out to 1000 yards which I had no idea it would do. I would not recommend this but we tried it just for kicks. 12 inch steel plates consistantly with Barnes TSX 235s. This is an excellent rifle and caliber for most anything on the planet except probably elephant. The action on mine is smooth as silk and works flawlessly with any round I put in it. A good way to tell is if you pull the bolt back with an empty chamber, tip the muzzle down and the bolt slides home. That is smooth. They are a little on the heavy side but it helps compensate for the recoil with heavy bullets ( 350 grain). I rigged mine with a Safari Sling from Cabelas. It distributes the weight over the shoulders instead of on one shoulder and frees up your hands. Much faster to get into battery, too. You don't have to unsling and shoulder. Just raise, shoulder and fire.
This will probably be my one gun for my next hunt for cape buff and plains games. I don't think you can go wrong with one.

Wood_Duck, it looks like you have your answer. Winchester Mod. 70s continue to be a smart choice for the working man.

Reactions: LSS
I have the Alaskan in .375. Can't say enough good. smooth action, good looking and accurate.

I have one in 416 Rem. I installed a Mcmillan stock on it. It seems to be built as good or better than any of the US made guns ever were. I would say it would be heavy for a 375, but it's perfect for a 416. I am considering selling mine to fund a trip to Africa, if you're interested, shoot me a PM.

Pictures??
Hi @cagkt3. Just got in from hunting...no luck today though.
The rifle is in a shop on consignment, about 5 miles away in Bryant Ar. I will send you pics NLT Monday afternoon. I will include pics of the box and the serial number if you like, but would PM those to you. Just let me know any specific questions and I'll answer those along with the photos on Monday evening!
Thanks for your interest!

Hi @cagkt3. Just got in from hunting...no luck today though.
The rifle is in a shop on consignment, about 5 miles away in Bryant Ar. I will send you pics NLT Monday afternoon. I will include pics of the box and the serial number if you like, but would PM those to you. Just let me know any specific questions and I'll answer those along with the photos on Monday evening!
Thanks for your interest!
Much appreciated!

@cagkt3
IMG_0353.JPG

Check your PM for more photos and details of the rifle.

Wood_Duck,
To answer your original question, all the Model 70s are assembled in Portugal of mostly American parts. The same as Browning has been doing for years with their shotguns.

Wood_Duck,
To answer your original question, all the Model 70s are assembled in Portugal of mostly American parts. The same as Browning has been doing for years with their shotguns.

Are any of the Model 70s still made in SC?

One thing I’ve always liked is the M70 bolt handle. The new trigger is pretty damn good, too.

If I was in the market, I would not hesitate for a nano second on buying a new Winchester Model 70. Love to have a have a Super Grade in .270 or .280.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg