Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
OFAH, DSC
Hunted
South Africa, Canada, USA
Does anyone have any experience with this contraption? Useful or gimmick? As a card-carrying and certified gadget geek it appeals to me, so I keep looking at it.

http://www.larrywillis.com/

It looks like it would be a fun tool to have but not a necessary one.

It looks like it would be a fun tool to have but not a necessary one.
That's exactly what I keep thinking! The description says it can also be used to check case length and OAL so maybe a substitute for callipers. I am sure it is just a matter of time until I find out lol

Does anyone have any experience with this contraption? Useful or gimmick? As a card-carrying and certified gadget geek it appeals to me, so I keep looking at it.

http://www.larrywillis.com/

I have it and I have used it pretty extensively. It works well for what I do with it. I try to minimize how much I resize the die, but more so than simple neck sizing. I've gone down the neck sizing route but ended up with very sticky bolt openings which spooked me a little.

I use this device to "zero" on a case that has been shot in the rifle I'm loading for. I keep this case off to the side and then start sizing a spent case measuring it with this device after each trip through the sizing die. You start this process to be "long". Once the readout on the gauge is -0.002" then I stop adjusting the die. So what this means is I've bumped the shoulder in by 0.002". This is enough to be more than just neck sizing and in my mind is the equivalent of full length resizing with respect to the chamber of my rifle. Versus SAAMI specs it would be called partial full length resizing I guess.

What this does however is keep me from over doing the resizing of the brass and will keep you from the dreaded case head separation. Having said that there are other ways to accomplish the same thing. You can use your rifle to let you know when you've bumped the shoulder enough as you will notice the bolt closing on the empty round gets easier when you've bumped the shoulder enough. Same process of starting long and slowly adjusting the die in. But it is a bit less precise but also cheaper.

This tool though kind of gives you an exact target which depending on your level of Reloading OCD that you suffer from can be somewhat comforting.

I have it and I have used it pretty extensively. It works well for what I do with it. I try to minimize how much I resize the die, but more so than simple neck sizing. I've gone down the neck sizing route but ended up with very sticky bolt openings which spooked me a little.

I use this device to "zero" on a case that has been shot in the rifle I'm loading for. I keep this case off to the side and then start sizing a spent case measuring it with this device after each trip through the sizing die. You start this process to be "long". Once the readout on the gauge is -0.002" then I stop adjusting the die. So what this means is I've bumped the shoulder in by 0.002". This is enough to be more than just neck sizing and in my mind is the equivalent of full length resizing with respect to the chamber of my rifle. Versus SAAMI specs it would be called partial full length resizing I guess.

What this does however is keep me from over doing the resizing of the brass and will keep you from the dreaded case head separation. Having said that there are other ways to accomplish the same thing. You can use your rifle to let you know when you've bumped the shoulder enough as you will notice the bolt closing on the empty round gets easier when you've bumped the shoulder enough. Same process of starting long and slowly adjusting the die in. But it is a bit less precise but also cheaper.

This tool though kind of gives you an exact target which depending on your level of Reloading OCD that you suffer from can be somewhat comforting.

Thanks for the detailed response! I started looking at this device after a previous cock-up with my 6.5 (still haven't gone back to it) I think you are right that it would be comforting to know the exact situation. do you use it to find OAL, case size or any other measurements?

One place that I could see this tool being useful would be if you are loading for someones rifle. You can use their old brass for a baseline for your sizing die and wouldn't have to worry too much about the round being able to be chambered in their rifle.

I'm actually going to be doing this next spring. I won't have access to the rifle until summer but I want some test rounds for it when I pick it up so that I can just to to the local range to test fire the rounds and check for pressures. Other than that I will be full length re sizing the cases to make sure that they will go into the chamber of my friends rifle.

Thanks for the detailed response! I started looking at this device after a previous cock-up with my 6.5 (still haven't gone back to it) I think you are right that it would be comforting to know the exact situation. do you use it to find OAL, case size or any other measurements?

No I use my calipers for that.

........As a card-carrying and certified gadget geek it appeals to me............

I hear you man.......

I bought one of these a few years ago, and have used it a fair amount as well. I'll echo Phil's comments as to it's effectiveness. To be honest, I use the Sinclair headspace (bump) gauges more for standard cartridges, but this tool is great for cartridges such as the Weatherby Magnums that Sinclair doesn't make a bump gauge for. I will say that it takes a little practice to get consistent measurements, but I still find it useful.

One product of Larry's that I really like is his belted magnum re-sizing die.

I would add that it is best, in my experience, to remove the striker assembly from the breech-bolt before testing a resized case, in order to get a proper feel for chambering resistance. You should, ideally, get similar resistance to that experienced when well made factory ammunition is chambered in a well-made bolt-action sporting rifle.

The same provision, i.e. removing the guts of the bolt, should also be taken, prior to testing the feeding reliability of any ammunition that you intend to take into the field; to ensure zero risk of an accidental discharge during the test procedure.

I hear you man.......

I bought one of these a few years ago, and have used it a fair amount as well. I'll echo Phil's comments as to it's effectiveness. To be honest, I use the Sinclair headspace (bump) gauges more for standard cartridges, but this tool is great for cartridges such as the Weatherby Magnums that Sinclair doesn't make a bump gauge for. I will say that it takes a little practice to get consistent measurements, but I still find it useful.

One product of Larry's that I really like is his belted magnum re-sizing die.

My wife is so lucky, I ordered one for Christmas for her! Now, I have a backup plan if she decides it is not appropriate..."what honey, no need for a digital case headspace gauge! dam, well let me take that and here, maybe this is more suitable... "

My wife is so lucky, I ordered one for Christmas for her! Now, I have a backup plan if she decides it is not appropriate..."what honey, no need for a digital case headspace gauge! dam, well let me take that and here, maybe this is more suitable... "

You know, I do that a lot for my wife as well. Funny. She often doesn't have the same taste in things as I do.......:LOL:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DelbertBat

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross