Ingwe

8 x 60

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Europe
I wasn't sure where to post this so dropped it in here.
Stuck in the Middle East waiting to get home for Christmas. The telly was rubbish (as usual) so I put a little fictional story together. It is somewhat derivative. How can it not be when you love reading Corbett, Hemingway and Capstick et-al?

A Dangerous Game

The Sun was now up..
We had been on the trail of Ingwe as soon as the Sun rose.
---------------------------------------
It had been a perfect set-up.

The bait was in the tree. A Warthog we had killed.

We had picked a perfect tree. Long grass all round so Ingwe would feel secure approaching the Warthog bait which was wired to the horizontal branch, its guts hanging below as we had cut it to allow for that. Flies were busy swarming and laying eggs. The bait smelled good.

The branch was low and from our carefully built blind we had a perfect view of the tree against the Western sky.

Just before the Orange Sun dropped below the distant hills, about the time when others are tasting the first Sundowner of the evening Ingwe magically appeared in perfect silhouette

Giving the Big Tom time to paw at and settle into his meal we prepared for the shot.

“Now”.

Up until then the World was slowing and settling before the denizens of the Veld went about their nightly business of killing, or being killed.

The rifle barked and shattered the silence.

Ingwe leapt and vanished.

It was dark now. There was little spoor but enough to know that Ingwe had been hit.
As he was wounded we knew that to pursue now would be suicide .

There were no nearby habitations where Ingwe could settle the score so we anxiously waited ‘til dawn.

Picking up the scant blood trail we cautiously followed it. Eyes alert, bodies tensed.
Ready.
Through Stands of Mopane and long grass we went.

Long grass, Ingwe’s the favourite hunting ground and a most dangerous place to follow Ingwe when he is wounded.

Wounded, angry and set on revenge.
Even with grass that is low , with his floating collar-bones, and a spotted pelage developed over millennia, Ingwe can crouch lower than a Mamba and be more deadly. Ingwe was silent, invisible and hell bent on revenge

The blood-spoor got less and less. Then there was none. All that was left were the hardly visible changes in the grass stalks and some feint pad-marks on the occasional piece of sandy soil in between.

Senses now at an surreal state of awareness .. He’s here and watching us. We couldn’t see him but we knew.
Then he came.
From nowhere. Like a wraith. Silent and faster than lightening

No growl,.. No warning,

Two quick shots from the Double rifle and it was all over.

I missed.

Ingwe was on me.

He clamped my head with his front claws crushing into my brain and did what Leopards do with their back claws.

It was over.

It’s a dangerous game.

full

Last edited by a moderator:
A good story. You paint quite the picture of your demise. Might make some thing twice about a Leopard hunt.

Thanks Clayton.
Christmas coming up. A time for stories and such. Gotta have a twist at the end eh? (y)
Ade

Safe trip home.
Thanks for the story. Keep writing.

Well done, and nice twist.

Safe trip home.
Thanks for the story. Keep writing.

Dear Brickburn

Thanks for your kind words and encouragement, Royal27 many thanks also. Happy Christmas.

Does anyone who knows the Leopard business believe a DR in 8 x 60 would be up for the job on old Ingwe in todays world of super fast calibres or the bigger slower calibres (.375 and upwards)?? Of course Iwould love a double with a calibre starting with a "4" but not happening for now, so I'll put up with my 8 x 60, which I love nearly as much as the Mrs!

(maybe this a question for another post?)

Best wishes

Ade

Last edited:
I like the "twist" at the end of the story, but I was just wondering where your PH was at the time. LOL I would not want to be thinking about the "twist" with an 8 x 60 or any other caliber for that matter.

Very well done sir!

when did that happen?
did you live?

great story.
Can you write one with a crocadile?

T
I wasn't sure where to post this so dropped it in here.
Stuck in the Middle East waiting to get home for Christmas. The telly was rubbish (as usual) so I put a little fictional story together. It is somewhat derivative. How can it not be when you love reading Corbett, Hemingway and Capstick et-al?

A Dangerous Game

The Sun was now up..
We had been on the trail of Ingwe as soon as the Sun rose.
---------------------------------------
It had been a perfect set-up.

The bait was in the tree. A Warthog we had killed.

We had picked a perfect tree. Long grass all round so Ingwe would feel secure approaching the Warthog bait which was wired to the horizontal branch, its guts hanging below as we had cut it to allow for that. Flies were busy swarming and laying eggs. The bait smelled good.

The branch was low and from our carefully built blind we had a perfect view of the tree against the Western sky.

Just before the Orange Sun dropped below the distant hills, about the time when others are tasting the first Sundowner of the evening Ingwe magically appeared in perfect silhouette

Giving the Big Tom time to paw at and settle into his meal we prepared for the shot.

“Now”.

Up until then the World was slowing and settling before the denizens of the Veld went about their nightly business of killing, or being killed.

The rifle barked and shattered the silence.

Ingwe leapt and vanished.

It was dark now. There was little spoor but enough to know that Ingwe had been hit.
As he was wounded we knew that to pursue now would be suicide .

There were no nearby habitations where Ingwe could settle the score so we anxiously waited ‘til dawn.

Picking up the scant blood trail we cautiously followed it. Eyes alert, bodies tensed.
Ready.
Through Stands of Mopane and long grass we went.

Long grass, Ingwe’s the favourite hunting ground and a most dangerous place to follow Ingwe when he is wounded.

Wounded, angry and set on revenge.
Even with grass that is low , with his floating collar-bones, and a spotted pelage developed over millennia, Ingwe can crouch lower than a Mamba and be more deadly. Ingwe was silent, invisible and hell bent on revenge

The blood-spoor got less and less. Then there was none. All that was left were the hardly visible changes in the grass stalks and some feint pad-marks on the occasional piece of sandy soil in between.

Senses now at an surreal state of awareness .. He’s here and watching us. We couldn’t see him but we knew.
Then he came.
From nowhere. Like a wraith. Silent and faster than lightening

No growl,.. No warning,

Two quick shots from the Double rifle and it was all over.

I missed.

Ingwe was on me.

He clamped my head with his front claws crushing into my brain and did what Leopards do with their back claws.

It was over.

It’s a dangerous game.

full
Time for a bump methinks

Dear Brickburn

Thanks for your kind words and encouragement, Royal27 many thanks also. Happy Christmas.

Does anyone who knows the Leopard business believe a DR in 8 x 60 would be up for the job on old Ingwe in todays world of super fast calibres or the bigger slower calibres (.375 and upwards)?? Of course Iwould love a double with a calibre starting with a "4" but not happening for now, so I'll put up with my 8 x 60, which I love nearly as much as the Mrs!

(maybe this a question for another post?)

Best wishes

Ade
Yes it is with the right bullet for leopard....would not be my first choice for follow up but better than many being in a double...only type of rifle to use for follow up never time to cycle a bolt....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JudeWjg34

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross