In Pursuit Of The Fabled Black Panther

Great story. In my mind PH should absolutely join the forum. It was a different time and place 46 yrs ago. Between that and hunting on private property I have no concerns. The wealth of knowledge that you gentleman bring has made AH a richer place. One that benefits us all. Thanks for the tale.
Bruce

M Khan,
No panther story to contribute, just this image of a Texas Black Panther with the head of a small Peccary.

Most cougars/panthers/mountain lions in North America area a tawny brown/tan, but there is also a black gene that sometimes appears. A friend just back from a Collard Peccary hunt in South Texas sent this to me yesterday and I thought you might find it interesting. Imagine trying to see one of these on a dark night. :(

Attachments

• 59642_600x400.jpg
    59642_600x400.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 272
Last edited by a moderator:
Great story. In my mind PH should absolutely join the forum. It was a different time and place 46 yrs ago. Between that and hunting on private property I have no concerns. The wealth of knowledge that you gentleman bring has made AH a richer place. One that benefits us all. Thanks for the tale.
Bruce
I am really glad that you have enjoyed it , Bruce. Hopefully , I did justice to my friend's excellent writing. I certainly hope that seeing all of this positive reception to his story will encourage Panther Shooter to join African Hunting Forums himself . He might be giving me 1 or 2 more of his stories to share with all of you , gentlemen on African Hunting Forums .

M Khan,
No panther story to contribute, just this image of a Texas Black Panther with the head of a small Peccary.

Most cougars/panthers/mountain lions in North America area a tawny brown/tan, but there is also a black gene that sometimes appears. A friend just back from a Collard Peccary hunt in South Texas sent this to me yesterday and I thought you might find it interesting. Imagine trying to see one of these on a dark night. :(
I can imagine all too well , Crs . Even though I have seen quite a few black forest panthers , during my 10 year career as a professional shikaree ( from 1961 to 1970 ) .... I unfortunately never had the privilege to shoot any of them , as they were a protected species even during our time .
Panther Shooter is 1 of the only 3 people alive whom I personally know that has successfully shot and killed a black forest panther .

Now wait just a second before we all approve this man......let me throw the first rock.........OUCH!, dang it, it came back around and hit me :confused:......awww shoot, guess I'm not the person to judge after all......:D

I just hope he's got some more stories to tell.....what with us all being in self-quarantine and all, we need something good to read....(y)

Now wait just a second before we all approve this man......let me throw the first rock.........OUCH!, dang it, it came back around and hit me :confused:......awww shoot, guess I'm not the person to judge after all......:D

I just hope he's got some more stories to tell.....what with us all being in self-quarantine and all, we need something good to read....(y)
I have spoken to Panther Shooter , Dee S . He shall join African Hunting Forums very soon .

After reading PS recount of his days after hunting was rescinded, I gave the article to my 20 year old son to read. I asked him one question prior to reading the article “Is PS the kind of man you would want as a friend, or someone you would keep your distance from?” That is all. Now read this story. Without hesitation he came back 30 minutes later and said that guy would be awesome to have as a friend.” That about sums it up. Glad that PS is joining the forum because I bet we all will be blessed by his presence. Thank you for sharing Major Kahn, and for ushering your friend into our community.

After reading PS recount of his days after hunting was rescinded, I gave the article to my 20 year old son to read. I asked him one question prior to reading the article “Is PS the kind of man you would want as a friend, or someone you would keep your distance from?” That is all. Now read this story. Without hesitation he came back 30 minutes later and said that guy would be awesome to have as a friend.” That about sums it up. Glad that PS is joining the forum because I bet we all will be blessed by his presence. Thank you for sharing Major Kahn, and for ushering your friend into our community.
You are too kind , Mort Hill. As is your boy . I am certain that you and Panther Shooter shall make the fastest of friends , very quickly .

Amazing story, thank you both for bringing it to our forum
It goes without saying you are very welcome here and among friends
Occasionally a troll pops up and gets run off but the vast majority
Of members are genuine people. In my safe I have a 7 mm rem mag that I
Bought in 1962 and to this day has never failed me
Welcome aboard gentlemen. Jacques

Great adventure.
Thanks to PH and to you, Major.
(We can bring this story as part III of our article series "The old Indian Shikaris" (in german).

@Bullhunter
those articles in German, would they be online, or paper edition?

They are printed in the exclusivste (in form, quality, printing conditions, pp.) hunting-magazine I know (and I have written for many around the world).
But I can send you an scan then, Mark-Hunter, for private use.

In German, of course, in an interview-style.

Im "famous" (sometimes feard :)) for my longest articles in the branch.
20 pages and more (normaly you get 4, maximum 6, but I have special conditions.)

The Mayor is part II.
Maybe the PS is part III. (If I get his permisson and more infos, an interview, pp. Of course he stay "anonym", without any name.)

Amazing story, thank you both for bringing it to our forum
It goes without saying you are very welcome here and among friends
Occasionally a troll pops up and gets run off but the vast majority
Of members are genuine people. In my safe I have a 7 mm rem mag that I
Bought in 1962 and to this day has never failed me
Welcome aboard gentlemen. Jacques
Thank you so much for enjoying Panther Shooter's excellent and gripping story , Mr. Smith . I merely narrated Panther Shooter's reminiscences . I believe that you and Panther Shooter shall get along with each other quite well , due to your mutual appreciation for the 7 mm Remington magnum calibre . It is an excellent calibre , and ( since Panther Shooter actually goes on shikars with me multiple times , through out the year ) I can personally attest that the 7 mm Remington magnum is a most devastating weapon in Panther Shooter's hands .
I earnestly look forward to Panther Shooter joining African Hunting Forums and sharing a few of his reminiscences 1st hand very soon.

Here is an example of my work (one of four of my articles about old india).
For free, because it is from an older magazine.
It has an interview with an other member of this forum also.

Attachments

• 38130835ox.jpg
    38130835ox.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 80
  • 38130835ox.pdf
    3.8 MB · Views: 335
Last edited by a moderator:
They are printed in the exclusivste (in form, quality, printing conditions, pp.) hunting-magazine I know (and I have written for many around the world).
But I can send you an scan then, Mark-Hunter, for private use.

In German, of course, in an interview-style.

Im "famous" (sometimes feard :)) for my longest articles in the branch.
20 pages and more (normaly you get 4, maximum 6, but I have special conditions.)

The Mayor is part II.
Maybe the PS is part III. (If I get his permisson and more infos, an interview, pp. Of course he stay "anonym", without any name.)
You may freely write anything you desire about me ... because I have nothing to hide , Bull Hunter.
I cannot speak for Panther Shooter . However , I request you to tread carefully . In the eyes of the Indian law , Panther Shooter was a " Criminal " , because he " poached " those 25 forest panthers , 3 deer ( I shall have to ask him what species they are ) and countless upland birds between 1972 to 1974 . He is an extremely respected person with a public image in my country , and therefore appropriate steps need to be taken to conceal his true identity.

Thank you very much Panther Shooter for the look into old India once again, and a first hand account and yes you should be a member.

Thank you very much Panther Shooter for the look into old India once again, and a first hand account and yes you should be a member.
Thank you so much for enjoying Panther Shooter’s reminiscence , Jeff. Hopefully , he shall join African Hunting Forums as a contributing member very soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg