In praise of Trail Boss

Bert the Turtle

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
I'm trying to get some significant range time in with my 404 before heading to the Caprivi. Full-power loads are: 1) expensive and 2) uncomfortable after a (fairly short) while.

First thing I did was secure a supply of inexpensive practice bullets. I had Dave Corbin make me up a reducing die and turned 300g 0.429 XTP's into 0.423 XTP's.

I worked up a load with 5744 that gives me a bit better than 1700 FPS. That is a lot more comfortable than the full power loads. And it should make a nice close range deer load. They don't hurt to shoot; I'd say it is about like a 30-06.

Then I decided to see if I could make something even lighter and quieter. I just loaded up a batch with a starting load of Trail Boss and now it is about like shooting a .22! My wife didn't hear me shooting so I think I've got the quiet part licked. Haven't gotten to the chronograph yet. I suppose no real need to other than curiosity. Of course, a 300g XTP at even 850FPS is going to do a number on a deer. I wouldn't have guessed a 404 Jeffery was an appropriate rifle to start a new shooter on, but this load may just change my mind.

With the Lee collet die and these light loads, I anticipate long case life. I think I've finally got myself a good setup for this rifle.

Sounds fun! Trail boss is a cool powder

This sounds like an excellent affordable way to get some trigger time with a big bore. I'd be curious how well they shoot. Please keep us up to date on your results.

This sounds like an excellent affordable way to get some trigger time with a big bore. I'd be curious how well they shoot. Please keep us up to date on your results.

What he said.

Where did you get your 404 Jeffery? I've "kinda" been looking around just to see what they are going for. Kicking the tires so to speak. There doesn't seem to be too many of them available.

I've been playing around with TB in my 375rug. I've not got some 300gn gas checked bullets to get the price right down.
It worked well with 300gn SGKs, so I expect it to be fine with the cast lead too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsmaelMorg

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg