Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA
Hunted
Michigan, Texas, Missouri, Limpopo Province South Africa
Prior to becoming an AH member a little over two years ago, I'd never heard of a 404 Jeffery. Since then it seams that there is almost a constant stream of posts regarding the building, obtaining or use of a 404 Jeffery. That got me to thinking about the possibility / feasibility of adding one to my collection. My hang up is that I've never paid more than $1,500 for a rifle. I have been unable to find a 404 Jeffery for under $3,500 and that was for a CZ 550. Custom rifles are available for price tags in excess of $9,000. I've seen several posts on AH about reforming 375 H & H brass into "acceptable" cases for a 404 Jeffery. That got me to thinking, why not buy a CZ 550 African Safari Classic or a 550 American Safari in 375 H & H and have the barrel replaced? If my thinking is correct, the magazine would not require much if any modification (except to correct feeding issues some CZ's have had). If the trigger can't be tricked up a bit to my satisfaction Timney has a replacement for about $100 plus installation. I was thinking about installing a 1 -4.5 power scope, would that eliminate the need for express sights?

My concerns are whether or not my thoughts are reasonable or a "pipedream" and what other issues might need to be addressed?

Shootist: I've been thinking about a 404 project myself. You can actually have CZ's custom shop provide you one for a bit over $3k. See pdf doc attached.

A few months ago I sent a PM to @AZDAVE who seemed to have a lot of experience with big bore conversion projects. I am leaning towards the Winchester Safari Express conversion to a 404. I think this will make for a nice rifle at a reasonable price, around $2k. I'll share some of @AZDAVE comments:

1. Have a CZ 375 or Bruno 375 barrel bored, re-rifled ($350-400), and rechambered to 404 and go shoot things.

2. Use the CZ 375 and have it rebarreled to 404. I spoke with the 3 rivers CZ folks at SCI and a rebarrel on eith a 550 or a bruno ZKK602 for $550. Then add sights and blueing etc.

3.Just buy a CZ in 404 and have 3 rivers do a tuneup on the feeding and trigger and go shoot things.

4. Get one of the Winchester Safari express and re rifle or rebarrel etc and go shoot things.

5. Full custom get a barreled action from Granite arms with their double square bridge mauser action. (About 4500). Get a really nice english walnut blank (1000-1800) have have it fit you exactly (If you can do your own stock work about a 100-150 hours of time) (quality stock maker $1500-2Kish for the work) And really go shoot thing as the animals like it when they are shot with a full on custom pretty gun;)

Attachments

• 2017 RETAIL Safari Classics Order Form.pdf
    52.5 KB · Views: 537
ZKK 602 Brno action or rifle would also be an excellent base for such a project. You may need to replace the magazine plate as 404 has a fatter case towards the front.

You could also use the CZ action or rifle as you mention, but I prefer the ZKK 602. If you could find one with the pop up peep sight in the receiver that would be even better.

I found a Donor CZ 375HH on Cabelas Gun Library and had them ship it to 3 Rivers for the conversion to 404J.I kept the factory stock instead of a custom shop stock to save a few dollars and added a Mercury reducer and a Jeweled bolt
IMG_0693.jpg

I found a Donor CZ 375HH on Cabelas Gun Library and had them ship it to 3 Rivers for the conversion to 404J.I kept the factory stock instead of a custom shop stock to save a few dollars and added a Mercury reducer and a Jeweled bolt View attachment 196348

Rob404: Did you go by Rob375 before the caliber change operations? :whistle:

I have pointed out previously: The 404 Jeffery is probably the fastest growing rifle caliber in demand . Everyone wants to own a 404 Jeffery for all the excellent qualities it has . I have a 404 Jeffery, and I would not trade it for any other rifle..it shoots extremely accurate and shoots beautifully. (y)(y)(y) You will never be sorry for going the extra length to own a 404 Jeffery....even if you have to sell another rifle to fund your project..it still is the best rifle you will ever own....(y)(y)

Well I have as much use for a 404J as I do an extra hole in my head. That being said when I started this project it was a toss up between a 416 Ruger and 404J would have been easier to do the Ruger but I was lead astray by some guys on a forum (no names mentioned) and even with the extra cost and work I'm glade I caved into peer pressure. I started reading every thing I could on line I could find most of it 2-3 times and I can't get enough. When I see what the cost of getting one made or buying one I realized that doing the work myself was the only way I could even consider to obtain one.
I have the luxury of working with a man who is 3rd generation gunsmith mostly Mausers to give me pointers as well I'm a machinist myself. The bolt face was the hardest thing to do as most of the job takes hand tools time and money.
What I have spent so far:
Used Mauser action $45
A rough inlet stock $65
New magazine spring $30
New Boyd's walnut stock because original stock has a bow from sitting around for the past 20+ years $144
Pac-Nor barrel 26" long .700 at muzzle $400+ shipping. (I'm still waiting for its completion only 2-4 more weeks to go).
I know that it won't be a show piece but it should be a great working gun.
The fact that the originals were working guns and not works of art may have helped in its demise the first time around but the more it is seen as a down and dirty work horse the more it will catch back on. I can't wait to finish her and try her out.
Shawn

Shawn , wait until you aim at a deer or moose , pulling that trigger and seeing through the scope how that animal is hit to the ground like it was hit with a huge sledge hammer will give you goosebumps..you won`t stop smiling all day..that rifle , the 404 Jeffery is something special....not an ordinary rifle at all.I really hope it was not me that put the 404 Jeffery pressure onto you:eek:....:LOL:..(y)(y)(y):LOL::LOL:

I would have to look at my PM history to see. I'm happy it worked out this way I like to be different it started with a 35 Whelen then a 375 Ruger now this 404J and if that gets to popular I'll have to find something more obscure and bigger to shoot Bambi.
This has been a lot of fun working on this project.
And if I have anything to blame you for it would be shooting things with your 404 while I am waiting for a barrel and can't participate.
Shawn

I would have to look at my PM history to see. I'm happy it worked out this way I like to be different it started with a 35 Whelen then a 375 Ruger now this 404J and if that gets to popular I'll have to find something more obscure and bigger to shoot Bambi.
This has been a lot of fun working on this project.
And if I have anything to blame you for it would be shooting things with your 404 while I am waiting for a barrel and can't participate.
Shawn

Keep us in The loop with pictures as the project progresses.

I might have just what your looking for at a affordable price. LPD

I have one CZ .404, built in czs custom shop, also 2 pre war english doubles .470 Nitro all are located in the U.S. LPD

The easiest conversion was to find a M70 Classic in 300 RUM and re-barrel (as the RUM cartridge is based on the 404 Jeff - very little to no action work is required). The difficulty now is those guns are scarce and sellers know what people want them for, thus driving up prices when they sell. I did this a year ago and took it to Africa in May for buff. Phoenix Phil also recently went down this path.

Shawn , wait until you aim at a deer or moose , pulling that trigger and seeing through the scope how that animal is hit to the ground like it was hit with a huge sledge hammer will give you goosebumps..you won`t stop smiling all day..that rifle , the 404 Jeffery is something special....not an ordinary rifle at all.I really hope it was not me that put the 404 Jeffery pressure onto you:eek:....:LOL:..(y)(y)(y):LOL::LOL:

Gert, I know that you are a .404 Jeffery fanatic and I enjoy reading your posts on various matters BUT ... take a few deep breaths, mate. :D We don't want you coming down with a heart attack or a stroke whilst punching the keyboard OR cracking your head open whilst racing back to make another post! :A Stirring: :A Stretcher: :A Thumbs Up: :D Beers:

Have a good weekend. :)

Rob404, If you don't mind sharing, what did it cost you to obtain your 404 Jeffery? Please include the cost of the donor gun, rebarreling, and all shipping/transportation charges. If you swapped out the trigger and or safety include those costs as well. It sounds like you pretty much did what I am proposing to do. Where is the 3 Rivers Gun Shop that did your rifle? If you would feel better notifying me of the rifle's total cost via a PM I'm up for that as well.

Gert, I know that you are a .404 Jeffery fanatic and I enjoy reading your posts on various matters BUT ... take a few deep breaths, mate. :D We don't want you coming down with a heart attack or a stroke whilst punching the keyboard OR cracking your head open whilst racing back to make another post! :A Stirring: :A Stretcher: :A Thumbs Up: :D Beers:

Have a good weekend. :)
ZG47, you are quiet correct , it is easy to get carried away when a discussion about 404 Jeffery caliber is in progress. Apologies for reminiscing about the excellent qualities of the 404 Jeffery and not focusing conversion costs...:LOL::LOL::LOL: I surely got carried away:D:D:D(y)(y)..
On our side of the pond there are still a lot of M98 action available to use for a 404 Jeffery caliber . Downside of this route is to get a gunsmith to open up the action and our rand currency is weak , importing barrels/reamers are expensive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg