Reaction score
Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Member of
SCI, DSC, PHASA, DWWC
Hunted
South Africa, Namibia, Botswana, Zimbabwe Mozambique, USA
I sometimes wonder if, when I pass one day, what my legacy will be? What will people remember me by or will they remember me at all?

Well today we said goodbye to Scott van Zyl... Hunter, Husband, Family man and Friend to many... The church was packed to capacity. In fact; more chairs had to be brought in to seat the several hundred mourners at his memorial service. Some had to stand...

Sitting there, I silently said to myself: "This must be a legacy!" To have folks come from all across the country and even from abroad for your memorial service must mean that you meant something to someone.... In this case not only to "someONE" but to many...

Regrettably, whilst I considered him a friend and I believe he considered me as one too, I can't claim to have been a close friend. We've sat in a leopard blind together, and he helped me out when my Hyena weren't cooperating... He did this for anyone who needed help - not only for me. Scott's passion was hunting and whilst he earned a living from it, for him, hunting was not only a monetary goal or accomplishment. Scott loved hunting and he loved outsmarting animals. He studied their behaviour intricately and then used both skill and technology to his advantage - especially the night critters - which was just one of his specialities...

The Minister who lead the service recollected an incident when he interviewed Scott and Suré about the Christening of their one child. Scott arrived barefoot, in shorts and safari shirt - his favourite attire... And at the end of the interview he asked: "So, Minister, must I wear a tie for the Christening?" The Minister replied: "No, you don't have to wear a tie - but please do wear some shoes!"

This was Scott, always time for a joke and always ready to help... Scott was a well-loved guy. When things went South, Scott always had a plan to turn back and head North!

Scott, you are missed and will be for a long time!

RIP Hunter Brother!

full

Indeed what legacy will any of us leave. Surely this man was loved by many and respected by so many others. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Chris, thanks for your attendance and thoughts at Scott's Memorial Service. There are many AH members that would have liked to be there. On these pages, and in the hunting fraternity, he will be remembered for the man he was.

RIP Scott van Zyl

Thanks for your thoughts Chris, Scott will live on in the memories of those that knew him.

Thanks for starting this thread to let us know of the service. I had thought to hunt with Scott someday. Waited too long.... RIP Scott

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Once again prayers to all the family and friends

He seems like he was a great father and man to look up to. I am glad his family at least got closer in the tough times. Tells a lot about a man with that many people coming to his services. May he RIP and his family heal and remember the good times they had.

AMEN.

Thanks for Posting Chris

May you Rest In Peace and Godspeed healing to your family and friends.

For a man I never knew, but was known and loved by many, may you rest in peace, and your family be strong, now, and in the future. Our love and support for you must remain....

didn't know the man, read enough to respect what he stood for, and when in SA last week on top of a mountain i did offer a few words to him

RIP Scott ...continued prayers for his Family .
Glen

Quiet moment for him. And Hunters Poem in finnish

Metsän poika tahdon olla
Sankar' jylhän kuusiston.
Tapiolan vainiolla
karhun kanssa painiin lyön
ja maailma unholaan jää

by Aleksis Kivi

I believe that our time on earth, is just a short stop, on a longer journey. I hope the family finds ,closure, as well as emotional healing, until they are reunited once again!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsmaelMorg

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg