In memoriam - Namibian Professional Hunter Volker Grellmann passes away

He was a good man , and he will have used many different rifles in his long career.
You have a great deal of fondness for the larger calibres , Kurpfalzjager ( Good man ! ) . You would not happen to have any experience with the A Square .500 by any chance now , would you ? I know practically nothing about it , other than it uses a 600 grain monolithic bullet.

You have a great deal of fondness for the larger calibres , Kurpfalzjager ( Good man ! ) . You would not happen to have any experience with the A Square .500 by any chance now , would you ? I know practically nothing about it , other than it uses a 600 grain monolithic bullet.

This is certainly an interesting topic , but more in a new posting.

I wouldn't use for that the posting that is dedicated to the memory of Volker Grellmann.

He was a good man , and he will have used many different rifles in his long career.

30 years ago on vacation on a farm near Windhoek the owner needed meat for the kitchen. She asked me to shoot an oryx. Because it wasn't a hunting trip I didn't have a rifle with me. No problem, she called her friend Volker Grellmann, he gave me his .270 Win. I shot a nice bull, the farm workers were supposed to clean the skull. Well, they were drunk and threw the trophy into the fire...

IMG_1413.jpeg

Sounds like he was one of the trail blazers in Namibia's hunting industry. Always unfortunate to loose stalwarts of the hunting community.

Prayers and condolences to his family and friends
I second that.

Col. Art Alphin of A-Square was a ballistics and gunsmithing genius (still is I believe!) Read his book "Any Shot You Want." I have two other A-Square calibers (both in .338) and the rounds and guns are just perfect. The .500 A-Sq was once a popular PH backing gun. As it's difficult to come across ammo these days, I think that's what's largely extinguished its use. However, if you handload (as I do for the aforementioned .338s), brass can be obtained and the tradition carried on! Art put many of his big guns to the test, as he spent a fair amount of time in the former Rhodesia. As he is of similar vintage to Volker, I'm sure they have crossed paths before, professionally, whether in America at the shows or while on safari in Africa. At the time his book was published, the .500 was the most powerful sporting cartridge in the caliber. 2,500 fps/600 gr bullet. Suddenly, my shoulder is beginning to cramp up...

Col. Art Alphin of A-Square was a ballistics and gunsmithing genius (still is I believe!) Read his book "Any Shot You Want." I have two other A-Square calibers (both in .338) and the rounds and guns are just perfect. The .500 A-Sq was once a popular PH backing gun. As it's difficult to come across ammo these days, I think that's what's largely extinguished its use. However, if you handload (as I do for the aforementioned .338s), brass can be obtained and the tradition carried on! Art put many of his big guns to the test, as he spent a fair amount of time in the former Rhodesia. As he is of similar vintage to Volker, I'm sure they have crossed paths before, professionally, whether in America at the shows or while on safari in Africa. At the time his book was published, the .500 was the most powerful sporting cartridge in the caliber. 2,500 fps/600 gr bullet. Suddenly, my shoulder is beginning to cramp up...
Thank you so much for giving me a proper and indepth overview of the A Square. 500 calibre , C.W. Richther . I 1st read about A Square in a book titled " Ballistics ln Perspective "

RIP, a great man.

I believe the .500 A-Sq was popular with PHs in-the-know, once upon a time. Art Alphin is a ballistics & gun manufacturing genius! 'Only wish his "Triad" of bullets were still available....'Have two A-Sq guns (both .338s) and they are phenomenally accurate and deadly. That said, no 500 yet...

'Glad that Volker did NOT have to deal with the Chinavirus in any way! Continue RIP, our Good Sir.

Time is the school in which we learn...
Time is the fire in which we burn......(DS)

Feel fortunate to have met him.

RIP......................FWB

IMG_20131105_165922_321.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Just learned of Volkers passing. Hunted with him in the mid 90s and have the highest regard. Johnny was his tracker then and was a Bushman according to Volker. The 3 of us were walking down a 2track when Johnny stepped on a puff adder. He was wearing coveralls and the snake struck the lose pants cuff.
Mr Grellmen was the finest!!! The African hunting world lost one of their best.

He would always have Bushman working for him as he was a big proponent of showing the value of hunting to all and yes they are the best trackers!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg