AfricaHunting.com

Founder
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
www.africahunting.com
Media
Articles
This is a sad moment for me personally to announce that the legendary French Chasseur Professionnel Alain Lefol has passed away on March 7th of pancreatic cancer. He was 74 years old. He has left behind his lovely and devoted wife Eliane and his son Kewin (who is a sponsor here on AH @LEFOL SAFARIS). Alain is a personal family friend since my first memories and someone who I have hunted with many times, mostly in France but also in Africa. When they made Alain they certainly broke the mould. I have never met a man that was tougher and more tenacious, hard working and energetic! He hunted hard right up to the very end and lived a life of extraordinary adventure.

full

full

Alain Lefol (right)

full

Alain & Eliane (middle)

With the help of his son Kewin here is a bit of the storied history of Alain's exceptional life along with some photographs.

Alain was born in Saint-Seine-L'Abbaye on the 11th of December 1948 in Bourgogne, France. He came from a family of hunters and had always dreamed about Africa since he saw a movie from a hunter who went to Africa in the village he was from. Many of us are not lucky or brave enough to follow our dreams but he was...

As a young man he joined the elite military Chasseurs Alpins (army mountain troops). Once he was out of the service he got his license for high mountain guiding and also became a professional ski instructor. He opened his first company with a friend for heliskiing but it was outlawed in the following years.

full

Always the adventurer at 27 years of age he decided to live out his childhood dream and headed to Kenya in 1976 with his rifle and no contacts. Once in Kenya he found an outfitter in town and went on a safari as a client. The first animal he took was a Cape Buffalo that was running and he took him down with a single shot behind the ear. He returned to France and brought back some of his previous skiing clients to hunt but the PH got very sick so he took his place and guided his first African safari. Shall we say that was the beginning of the rest of life. However Kenya unfortunately closed hunting down shortly thereafter in 1977.

full

Alain in his early days (right)

Seeking greener pastures he was drawn to Chad where he saw the most animals he had ever seen and hunted an Elephant for the first time. He also started hunting in what was then called Rhodesia. Not content to just hunt one or two areas he also started to take hunting clients to CAR beginning in 1979 in the eastern part of the country, the gold triangle of ivory, just South of where they are still hunting today.

He stopped hunting in Chad when the war started and was then hunting in Ouanda Djalle in CAR after that and in 1980 the President of CAR closed Elephant hunting. In the mid 80's he started hunting the elusive bongo with the pygmies in the dense forests of the western part of the country. He opened his own company on the Aouk River on the border with Chad as well.

full

full

After years of hunting in what is now Zimbabwe he moved on instead to hunt in Tanzania in the early 90's.

full

He returned to Chad in 1998 for Aoudad and Western Greater Kudu and other species and reopened Ouanda Djalle CAR 2004-2006. Alain stopped hunting in the West part of CAR in 2005 and started again in the East in 2006. Stopped Chad in 2006.

full

Alain opened concessions in Vovodo in 2009 which was never hunted before and they still operate there. Alain also hunted in Zambia in 2011. Together with his prodigy son Kewin they became Lefol Safaris in 2014 when Kewin followed in his father's footsteps to become a PH himself. May Alain's legacy continue in the capable hands of his son.

full

Kewin Lefol (right)

I wish to express my deepest condolences to Eliane, Kewin and the rest of his family, he will be missed by many and never forgotten!

full

Last edited:
A man who lived his dreams, well done! Sincere Condolences from to his family and friends.

A fitting tribute to a friend. My condolences to his friends and family.

Last edited:
Condolences to the family and all his friends. That photo of the warthog skulls is incredible!

HH

A life well lived. Courageous man no doubt, not only for being a renowned PH, but for living the life he wanted to live. thanks, Jerome. May he rest in peace.

Wow...a legend has passed. So many stories and memories created by Alain. Very nice tribute to his legacy.

Wishing the family well.

Another African legend has passed in to the great hunting fields to enjoy the afterlife we all wish for When our time roll around.

A perfect tribute. Thoughts with you and his family.

Terrible news. My deepest condolences to his family, and may he rest in peace.

If we all can live have the life Alain did, we would be blessed. Condolences to his family.

May the Lefol name continue to carry on his traditions in the bush for generations to come.

Prayers for his family and many friends.

J'avais appris le décès d'Alain LEFOL mardi matin par un de ses amis de longue date. Toutes mes sincères condoléances à son épouse Eliane et à son fils Kewin. La Vovodo va se sentir orpheline ...

Last edited:
What a remarkable person. I am sorry for your loss and my prayers for the family.

Jerome, that was a great tribute. What a life he lived. Only wish that I could of done as much. May he rest in peace and his family be comforted.
Bruce

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
profibrahim

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you