In memoriam - Ian Gibson of Chifuti Safaris Passes Away

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stuart1970

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Posted by a friend on another Afrikana website on facebook, early reports of Ian Gibson (Chifuti Safaris)
FALLEN PH - IAN (Gibbo) GIBSON (CHIFUTI SAFARIS - ZIMBABWE)

A sad day for me, and many of my fellow African Hunters around the world! Today, one of the most experienced PH's in all of Zimbabwe was tragically killed by a bull elephant, while in hot pursuit. Details are not complete yet, but another fine hunter/PH was lost today while hunting what we all know to be DANGEROUS GAME!
Prayers for his family and friends

It is with deep regret that I share this message from Safari Classics. I was fortunate enough to share a camp with Ian last August and I'm deeply saddened by the news. My thoughts and prayers go out to Ian's family, as well as to his Chifuti family.

jpeg

Dear Chifuti Safaris clients,

It is with deep sadness to announce the passing of Chifuti Safaris professional hunter Ian Gibson. Ian was tragically killed by an elephant bull earlier today while guiding and elephant hunt in Chewore North (lower Zambezi Valley).

The details are just starting to emerge as we write this. However it appears that Ian and his client had been on the tracks of an elephant bull for approximately 5 hours when they decided to take a break and allow the client to rest. Feeling he was quite close to the elephant, Ian and his tracker Robert continued to follow the tracks in hopes of getting a look at the ivory as the client, stayed with the game scout to rest. Robert indicated the bull was in musk. They eventually caught up to the bull, spotting him at about 50-100 meters. The bull instantly turned and began a full charge. Ian and Robert began shouting in order to stop the charge. At very close range, Ian was able to get off one shot before the bull killed him. The scene was very graphic.

Ian Gibson was a fine man and one of the most experienced professional hunters on the African continent. He will be deeply missed by all…

We will provide more details as they become available

Tim and Dave

Safari Classics

Attachments

• ian-gibson.jpeg
    ian-gibson.jpeg
    60 KB · Views: 923
Damn, I got to speak with Ian just one time which was at this year's SCI convention. I always would get a kick out of how we hunters spend so much time discussing footwear for hunting and seeing Ian on TAA running in around in what looked like to me Converse Chuck Taylor's.

My condolences to Ian's family and all those who knew him well.

Prayers and condolences to his friends and family

My sincere condolences to his family and loved ones.

A terrible tragedy!!! Thoughts and prayers to his family and loved ones.

Very sad news.

Condolences to his family and friends.

Reminds me to appreciate what I have today and every day!

Sad day for all and Prayers for family and Ian rip

We are all poorer for his loss. One of the really good guys. Please let us know if a fund is established for his family.

My condolences to family and friends.

Very sad, my thoughts and prayers to Ian's family and chifuti safaris

Very sad to hear. My condolences to all involved.
I, like Phil thought it was pretty cool how he always wore those "tennis" shoes. He seemed like a fun guy to hunt with.

We are all poorer for his loss. One of the really good guys. Please let us know if a fund is established for his family.

I would expect that there will be through Safari Classics, as there was for Owain Lewis. If I hear anything I will certainly put it here.

Very sad to hear. My condolences to all involved.
I, like Phil thought it was pretty cool how he always wore those "tennis" shoes. He seemed like a fun guy to hunt with.

When I met him in Chewore North he had on those shoes and a simple pair of draw string shorts. I remember laughing at myself for putting to much thought into my attire, as Phil mentioned earlier. Ian was also a jokster and razzed the appy PH, Dean, to no end! The bickering between them was hilarious to watch.... At first glance you might even think that Ian didn't like Dean. but then you'd find out that Ian would take Dean to Mana Pools on their "off days" to camp and take pictures of wildlife. Ian was obviously very fond of the Appy, no matter his demeanor.

And Ian was also one of the finest wildlife photographers I've ever seen, We sat in front of his computer one night for a couple of hours with him just showing pictures he had taken, many with a short story to go with. It was a privilege.

Such a shame, my condolences.

My prayers sent to his family.John

Very sad news, my condolences to his family. Africa lost another great PH.

Prayers for his family. Terrible situation.

a damn shame, thoughts go out to the family

Also illustrates the enormous pressure these professionals are under. If he shoots the damn thing he is under immediate suspicion and presumed guilty of an unjustified shooting. Sounds like the game scout was likely "guarding" the client and wouldn't have been able to immediately clear him. And of course after 5 hrs of tracking the last thing he wanted to do was kill what was likely a trophy bull for his client. Just heartbreaking.

Wow. What a tragedy. I really hate to see the good guys out there getting killed, or injured by animals. I know it has to be a sad day for his friends and family. Best wishes to all of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdrieneRun

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois