In Bound From Tampa

M McDindi

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Been a "lurker" here off and on for several years. Been active on a few other sites and just checking in on this one from time to time. Was kind of active on AR for a long time, just finally got sick of the sites owner and his constant anti-American and anti-west in general BS. Decided to drop off there and join here.

Retired military (AF) 28 years. Spent over half of that time overseas for extended tours, Germany for 4-years, Saudi Arabia twice for a year+ each, Kuwait for a year, Italy/Bosnia for three years total and numerous short times into Afghanistan and Iraq. After 9/11, I was assigned to HQ USCENTCOM and spent the last 9-years of my career there as a staff monkey in the J5 coordinating Coalition force offers into the AOR. Traveled to 68 of the 83 Coalition countries during that time. Those trips were for the most part to European, a couple in the Pacific, a few in Africa and if the last part of their name is "stan". Specific African countries were: Kenya, Ethiopia, Eritrea, Djibouti and a couple other unmentionables.

First trip as a "4-legged" hunter was to Namibia while I was still on active duty. Fell in love with the country and went back again the following year with a mil buddy. Retired in 2010 and have been going back several times a year every years since then to hunt. My wife and I have rented cars and traveled all over the country and in the past 10-years I've accumulated just under 3-years total "in country".

In 2011, I singed up for an completed a PH school in KZN. I knew going in I couldn't have a PH lic. as I was not a citizen nor permanent resident and I would never be granted "residency" status as I wasn't "tan" enough. I did it just for my own knowledge and training. Had to go a couple of weeks before the class started to "hunt" with the schools founder/owner, Ian Goss, so he could assess my knowledge and hunting skills. I was given a list of books to read as well as "the accordance" to pretty much memorize before I arrived 6-weeks later. In summary, I passed Ian's initial assessments, passed the course and the full written KZN exam. Stayed an extra week to hunt for fun after the school was over.

Since then, I've been organizing small groups of 2-4 hunters for trips into Namibia to my friend's place in the mountains in the NW part of the country, 45k east of Kamanjob. Sometimes its a couple of trips a year.

Once guy I've taken a couple of times asked if I could organize a trip for him "someplace else". Dug around and found a place in the Tuli block of Botswana with a side trip across the boarder to RSA for a croc. We did that in Jun 2019 and had such a great time, I took my wife back that Aug and we did 10-days of culling in Namibia and then 10-days of culling in Botswana.

This year (2020), I had organized two trips to Botswana, one in Jun and second in Aug. Still hopeful the WuFlu will get sorted out and both or at least the Aug trip will still be "a go".

I normally try to put together 2-3 trips ten to fourteen day trips a year between Namibia and now Botswana. I'm not a professional "booking agent" or "outfitter". I just do this for fun. I've been VERY fortunate in my life/career (everything is still attached and works for the most part). I truly love Africa and helping others who've had an African safari as a life long dream or don't hae anyone to go with and don't want to go to "the dark continent" alone, to "make it happen".

I don't get a "cut" or a "commission". If I go, I pay my own way. I'll help with sorting out airline tickets, lodging to/from if needed etc. If you go to either my friend's place in Namibia or Botswana, I can help with rifle permits and travel documents to get there and back and generally whatever is needed to help hunters get there.

Please feel free to pm me if you want more information.

Welcome to AH !

Welcome to AH and thank you for your service. Sounds like you have found a good home in AH for your input and ideas. Welcome!

Welcome to AH! Sounds like you have done a lot of traveling both in the service and for fun. I have done SA 2x and Namibia once. Looking for the next adventure in the future, but doing some new trips in 2020 and 2021 here in the US. Thx for your service. I did 30 yrs in the Navy.

Welcome to AH!

Thanks - I had a good ride in the military. Started out as an E-1 and retired out as an O-5 and as I said, everything still attached and mostly functional! o_O

I do truly love Africa and get incredible satisfaction and pleasure in helping others get there and seeing it all again for "the first time" through their eyes.

I also enjoy taking people to my friend's places in Botswana and Namibia. Both are incredible honest, fare, hardworking and in my Namibian friends case, helping keep the family farm going for the next 120-year with his son and my Botswana friends family with a roof over their heads and guinea in the pot. That's a joke. He's the manager of a 1 million acre private land game farm in the Tuli block where we hunt.

Would love to help anyone interested going to either place get there. Either with one of my little groups I put together or on your own. Oh, the little groups are "closed camps" meaning the only people on the properties for the duration of the hunt is just our groups.

Giday M McDindi and welcome to the A H forums. That is quite a service you have offered to the community here.

Welcome aboard!

Welcome to our forum. It seems you already have stories to tell. Good luck with your upcoming trips!

I kind of got into organizing these trips by accident. Been a long time member of a local outdoor gun/hunting club/rifle range. Between shooting sets, just chatting with the other guys waiting for the line to go "hot". We're (wife and I) are usually shooting larger caliber rifles than are normally there and they generated a bit of attention.

Naturally Africa would come up and the conversations generally go like this.

"Man, I'd love to go to Africa" or "I've always dreamed of going someday".

"What's keeping you from going"?

"It's too expensive".

"How much to you think a plains game hunt costs?"

"Oh, $40K-$50k or more" Some even say $100K

"What if I told you I can take you on a 10-day PG hunt, shoot 5-6 different trophy species, with r/t airfare all in, except taxidermy for under $10K." Needless to say, they are vary surprised when it less than a LOT of guided hunts in the US/Canada.

Next conversation is, "well....I don't have anyone to go with me and I don't want to go alone".

"Guess what, now you've got someone to go with you, when do you want to leave!"

Granted, $10k is a good chunk of change for most guys, but then when they start thinking about how much they spend on their hunting leases, food plots, campers etc, they start to see that Africa IS very doable.

Some guys it may take a couple of years to save up, but every one of them who've made the trip once is already planning the next trip back before leaving.

So, that is kind of how I stumbled into doing this. I know set up a couple of trips a year, book/reserve the prime dark of the moon dates and post on a few websites that I'm organizing trips on these dates to these places and I've got spots for x number of hunters. I limit it to no more than 4 plus myself - more than that it becomes like herding cats. Even if no one else signs up, my wife and I still go. She's a hunter and a damn fine shot and we're happy to take other husband/wife "teams" with us. As mentioned we ONLY do "closed camps" so it's just the people in our group for the duration. Anyway.....

Still have plans for a trip to the Tuli Block in Botswana for this June and the second for this Aug. Still have airline tickets purchased and 50/50 hopeful things will open up by then. Have room for one or two more. Will be myself, my wife, a repeat friend I've taken to Namibia a couple of times and hunted Botswana with me last June.

Aug trip is 90/10 still hopeful it will go. Will be myself, a first Africa guy and another guy who hunted the Tuli block last Aug, just after my wife and I finished our (my second trip/her first trip) there. So, still have room for one, maybe two more there if it's a couple of hunting buddies or a couple.

I will say this again and loud and clear, I DON'T GET A CUT OR COMMISSION. I pay my own way and I pay for my hunts too. I do this for FUN and to help people go and to help the friends I've made there make a living. Also, this way I can be an honest broker on information and recommendations as I don't have a financial interest either way. If we go together, and you had a good time, just by me a good bottle of Scotch and help me drink it while we're there.

Anyone is more then welcome to go to either place on their own. I'll still help with your arrangements and planning if I go with or not.

Look ar Zimbabwe too, great opportunities.

M McDindi, welcome to the AH forum! Thanks for your service!
I just don’t think I could handle the flights as often as you go! WOW!

Hello M McDindi,

Khomas Highland Hunting Safaris of Namibia, welcomes you to the greatest forum on earth.

I regards to “that other forum”, yours truly was essentially ejected from same by the founder.
It was during a discussion on projectiles wherein, (synopsized version here), I said there were occasional reports from hunters and sometimes from PH’s, indicating failures to expand mono metal bullets (Barns X and it’s descendants).
He became angry and told me I had to send him $100. US dollars to remain a member in his forum.
Like yourself, I was pretty fed up with you-know-who’s anti-west innuendos anyway so, guess how much money he received from me lol.

Meanwhile, I look forward to learning what sort of rifles and other equipment you prefer in Namibian hunting, as well as what adventures you care to share with us here.

Best regards,
Velo Dog

Hahaha on the flights! Those are definitely the worst part of it but I've learned a few "tricks". If it's just my wife and I and depending on the prices, sometimes we fly direct from Tampa to either Amsterdam, Frankfurt or Zurich and in either direct to Windhoek or via J'berg. Makes for an overnight flight to Europe a day layover and an overnight flight in. We've done connections from Tampa to Dulles and NYC to catch SAA into J'berg and in but the service on SAA has gone to hell the last few years and the goat rope in JFK with firearms is a PIA.

Usually, when I take a group we go via Atlanta and Delta into J'berg and do the overnight there and into either Windhoek or Gaborone the next day. Atlanta/Delta is a bit more expensive but, when trying to organize several guys from different parts of the country just about everybody to make it to Atlanta in time for the night flt across and the return trip gets back to Atlanta that just about everybody can get a late morning flt and be "home" by late afternoon.

My wife and I have tickets booked on Qatar Air for our trip June trip (if it goes). Miami overnight to Doha, overnight in a 4-star hotel for $30 and day flt from Doha with a 1-hour pit stop in J'berg and in to Gaborone by 5pm and at Gerhard's place in time of sundowners and dinner.

My wife's favorite route is via Zurich. We grab a dayroom in the airport, shower and take the train into the CBD and she gets to "shop" for the day. Back to the hotel for a nap, shower, good dinner in the airport and 11pm departure to J'berg and then a connection to Windhoek or now Gabby.

The SAPS process is a PIA in J'berg, but I can do the SAPS 520 forms now with one eye closed. It's just the hassle of it all.

One thing I've learned from the Flight Surgeons is before a long flight, I take two regular aspirin. They help thin the blood a little and keeps your feet from swelling and less chance of blood clods forming in your legs. Next, a couple of good stiff drinks before dinner and then a couple of Nyquil for desert and wake me when we get there.

Paul - Our "mutual friend over there" has really become a serious horse's ass. Sad to say because that is the site I got my very first hunt from. Fewer and fewer outfitters are posting there. I've had to deal with a LOT of Arabs over the years and it's safe to say that in my personal experience his attitude seems to be the norm and not the exception...especially with the wealthy/ruling family connected ones. Then too, it's his site, he doesn't have to make money from it to keep it going and it's his personal playground and he can do as he wishes and then so can I.

Regarding your question on rifles and kit. I/we've used 308's, 30-06, 45-70 lever and bolt actions and single shots, 450Marlin lever, bolt and single shots, 9.3x62 and 375 Ruger Alaskans. Just depends on the trip. If it's just my wife and I culling, then it's the 308's. They have threaded muzzles and I've got two cans I leave there at my friends place. For general hunting the 30-06 fill the bill pretty nicely. Sometimes when I take a group over I don't necessarily "hunt". I play appy and tote the water, help spot and track wounded game and will take either my 450Marlin bolt or 375 Ruger - they've got a bit more "authority" putting down wounded game quickly.

Binos for the most part, I prefer 8x30 or 10x40 MAX (both Zeiss Classics). Never needed anything bigger. I'm a "hunter" and prefer stalking close and almost never take shots over 200yds and average maybe 125-150yds. Regardless of the caliber or rifle, they are all zeroed at 150 and basically allows for just holding on the intended aim point and pulling the trigger with no guesswork out to 200.

Skip the range finders, to slow. Skip the fancy "twisty" turret scopes. I can't tell you how many times I told guys this and they still show up with them anyway. They miss shot opportunities because they are too freaking busy with their twisties then forget were they set them and next time twist them some more and can't figure out why they are missing completely or wounding game. Multiple trips back the range to re-zero etc. Gets to be a very expensive education for them.

Other "kit" is pretty simple. Good pair of broken in all leather un-insulated hunting boots (keeps the damn grass seeds from getting in the tongue and driving you crazy. Long pants and long sleeve shirts. Wide brim (Rouge Buffalo Leather or waxed canvas hat and always a bug net for the damn mopane bees. Small LED flashlight (torch), a medium size Leatherman, good medium size fixed blade knife and pocket sharpener and a belt pouch for extra ammo. I'm a believer in K.I.S.S. - Keep It Stupid Simple.

Hope to get a small group back to Namibia in 2021. A lot will depend on the rains between Kamanjob and Outjo and one or two groups to Bots too.

Last edited:
Welcome to the posting side of AH!

Welcome to AH

Forgot a couple of other pieces of my "normal" kit: tan "Mission" brand neck gaiter. Helps keep your neck and ears warm on the cold rides out/in in the back of the bakkie and can pull it up to cover your face if sitting in a quick built ambush blind and when it't hot, pour a 1/2 bottle of water down the back of your neck and instant air conditioning.

Next is either a Zippo or butane lighter. Have occasionally built a small fire and took the back straps out and had a quick bush snack.

And a cotton/canvas button up multi-pocket hunting vest. Easier to deal with than a backpack and all the other small loose kit above is easier to access than having take a pack off and i NEVER get of the bakkie without at LEAST two .5ltr bottles of water in the game pouch in the back. Can't tell you how many times we've hopped off on what was SUPPOSED to be a quick stalk that turned into nearly all day rodeo. Guess too, I kind of got used to always wearing some kind of vest in the field from my military time.

I've posted a lot of words here in a short time so going to try and do a few photos to see if I can sort out how to do it here on this site.

If this works, this is a photo of my PH school class. Big guy on the left is Ian Goss, then me next to him.

This is my wife from our Botswana Tuli block trip in Aug 2019. This was her first impala and as you can see has a very "non-typical" set of horns that curl a bit like a kudu.

This is her on one of our culling trips to Namibia a few years ago. She is deadly with that little Savage and was making headshots on gemsbok and blue w/b out to 250m.

This is my wife with "her" kudu in Namibia - while "wet" was 60". The rifle is a custom fit to her, Siamese Mauser in 45-70. Was a 350gr TSX at 2300fps.

This was my second kudu ever a few years later. 60 1/8" wet. Rifle is a Custom pre-64 Win 70 in 450 Marlin. 350gr TSX at 2375fps.

We also did an Asiatic Water Buffalo hunt in Australia in 2018. We were in the far NE part of the of the Northern Territory. Was a 7-day hunt and between us we killed/culled 30+ buffalo. Culls had to be under 80" horns and we were asked to do nothing but headshots to conserve the meat. The hard part was having to kill the yearlings and still suckling calves. But when you see first hand the damage they do the environment and get to taste the veal fillets on an open fire....it makes it a bit easier! We were using "loaner" 375 H&H's with factory Federal 300gr ammo.

Attachments

• 2016-05-03-10-25-26-653.jpg
    2016-05-03-10-25-26-653.jpg
    221.6 KB · Views: 51
  • Ainila-s-Impala.jpg
    Ainila-s-Impala.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 55
  • CIMG0257.jpg
    CIMG0257.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 49
  • CIMG0366.jpg
    CIMG0366.jpg
    462.4 KB · Views: 52
  • CIMG0443.jpg
    CIMG0443.jpg
    372 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG-20180814-221928.jpg
    IMG-20180814-221928.jpg
    256 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG-20180902-WA0004.jpg
    IMG-20180902-WA0004.jpg
    238 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG-20180905-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20180905-WA0002.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 58

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eye4aneye

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!