IMR-4831 versus H4831 in a double rifle?

cajunchefray

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
DSC
I understand from several double rifle experts here, and other sites, that IMR-4831 is the go-to powder for regulation in a double rifle

Hs anyone tried H4831 (I can get some now), and did you need to change powder charges?

I'm shooting (slumming) with a Sabatti 450/400, that has been worked over by my gunsmith, Muzzles are not ground, trigger job to 5.5 to 6#.
It shoots high for me so I had him mount a Trijicon RMR.

I'm getting 4-5 inch groups with Reloder 15, at 50 yards. The left barrel shoots high 4 inches left, the right barrel shoots just an inch right of the target.

Anyone had success with H4831 over IMR-4831?

Merci Beacoup,

Charles

I've used both. I use IMR 4831 in my double (9.3x74r). I am low on stock on the IMR powder so I have been working with H4831 recently because I have tons of it. So far it shoots pretty well. I have had to change the load a little but I'm pretty happy so far. In the interest of transparency, I have only loaded up a few rounds with various powder charges so far but I have a pretty good starting point now to work from.

The H version is a little slower than IMR so there will be a loss of velocity with the same charge.
Years ago it was quite different but I think they speeded it up a bit in recent years.

H4831SC is my primary powder for my 470. Have worked with IMR as well but H4831sc is what worked best in my Heym.

I understand from several double rifle experts here, and other sites, that IMR-4831 is the go-to powder for regulation in a double rifle

Hs anyone tried H4831 (I can get some now), and did you need to change powder charges?

I'm shooting (slumming) with a Sabatti 450/400, that has been worked over by my gunsmith, Muzzles are not ground, trigger job to 5.5 to 6#.
It shoots high for me so I had him mount a Trijicon RMR.

I'm getting 4-5 inch groups with Reloder 15, at 50 yards. The left barrel shoots high 4 inches left, the right barrel shoots just an inch right of the target.

Anyone had success with H4831 over IMR-4831?

Merci Beacoup,

Charles
Funny you should ask. A little different. I have alot of H4831SC but had a chance to buy 8
Pounds of H4831 and took it. Everything I have read is they are the same and will not impact my 450-400 DR POI. Looking forward to comments on IMR4831

Thanks to all that replied. I think I will try the H4831, work up incremental loads by a grain at a time. It's listed in the Hornady Manual, along with IMR-4831, but 4 grains more for 2050 fps.

A noted authority here I talked too, (Bought some brass from him) told me to work up 2-3 grains over the IMR-4831 load until the shots come together.

In my limited testing shooting my Merkel double 450-400 3" loads with 400 gr. bullets and IMR4831 and H4831, 80 gr. of IMR4831 about equals 83-84 gr. of H4831. For some reason the IMR groups a wee bit better.

In my limited testing shooting my Merkel double 450-400 3" loads with 400 gr. bullets and IMR4831 and H4831, 80 gr. of IMR4831 about equals 83-84 gr. of H4831. For some reason the IMR groups a wee bit better.
Thanks, Longwalker, that is some valid real-world experience, that confirms what other experts here told me.

I was trying to make Reloder 15 work, with foam wads, for a bit less recoil and while accurate in my Ruger #1, they don't regulate well in my double rifle.

I'm heading to local reloading supply shop to get some H4831 and give it a try.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mcdowall

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!