Improving the 375 H&H

EfRed, the 404 Jeffery was the only caliber I own that I had to fire form brass for when brass was scarce. Since then I try to collect /buy old rifle calibers in the Mauser Action that has brass/live rounds readily available.
Few people know that the Mannlicher Schoenauer with it`s revolving magazine can shoot only one type of bullet profile since the profile on the magazine plates is an exact profile of the bullet shape it is intended for shooting..

Johan Greyling build a replacement full stock for .458 Mannlicher Schoenauer , when completed the project we cycle and shoot the .458 rounds through the revolving magazine ..there was different type of amo brands rounds ..only the .458 rounds with the matching profile bullet was able to cycle through the magazine..it is the same with my .458 Mannlicher Schoenauer...since it is not a common type of rifle found these days , a few hunters would know about this phenomenon.

EfRed, the 404 Jeffery was the only caliber I own that I had to fire form brass for when brass was scarce. Since then I try to collect /buy old rifle calibers in the Mauser Action that has brass/live rounds readily available.
Few people know that the Mannlicher Schoenauer with it`s revolving magazine can shoot only one type of bullet profile since the profile on the magazine plates is an exact profile of the bullet shape it is intended for shooting..

Johan Greyling build a replacement full stock for .458 Mannlicher Schoenauer , when completed the project we cycle and shoot the .458 rounds through the revolving magazine ..there was different type of amo brands rounds ..only the .458 rounds with the matching profile bullet was able to cycle through the magazine..it is the same with my .458 Mannlicher Schoenauer...since it is not a common type of rifle found these days , a few hunters would know about this phenomenon.
Thanks Much, Gert - I have since my post read of this problem. Wonderful magazine, but requires the perfectly formed cartridge. I greatly appreciate your caution - saves me some headaches !

I've stocked up on 404 brass (Norma), bullets (Woodleigh), and dies (Redding). But am still awaiting the rifles ! But, pushing the craftsman may be counterproductive !

Good that time has brought a resurgence in manufacture of some of the near-extinct African hunting cartridges. Very frustrating to have a fine old European rifle in a classic cartridge and not be able to find ammo for it. Necessity is the mother of invention - this site shows that there is a good degree of invention among African shooters. No good rifle will go long unshot due to lack of ammo !

My father worked in northern Alaska for a while in the 1950's. He was talking with an Eskimo who'd grown up in the old tradition. Dad asked him what they'd used for polar bear. The answer was surprising - .30-30 or .303 British ! So, they used whatever rifle and cartridge they happened to have. Today, the Macah indians of Washington State's northwest coast use the 460 Weatherby for hunting whale.

Thanks Much, Gert - I have since my post read of this problem. Wonderful magazine, but requires the perfectly formed cartridge. I greatly appreciate your caution - saves me some headaches !

Scroll to third post here: https://www.africahunting.com/threads/mannlicher-schönauer-prewar-m1900-m1903-m1905-m1908-m1910-m1924-m1925-or-high-velocity.47277/

When fed with cartridges of the proper profile there is nothing smoother feeding or more reliable than a Mannlicher Schoenauer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JameShiple

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!