AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Member of
BASC, SCI
Hunted
Europe
Well folks,

Having shot my 404J on a couple of occasionals now, I have decided to upgrade here a little - She's fairly classic so these will only be gentle and very sympathetic, please don't burn me...

upload_2019-5-18_14-3-13.png

So, first things first.

Safety
There is a little bit of play in the safety and it is on the side of the action. Think I shall upgrade to the horizontal, on bolt safety as is my preference and I'd rather the safety didn't concern me like it did.

Scope

upload_2019-5-18_14-5-2.png

The scope in terribly new and on anything bar 1 the eye box / relied gets rather picky / short (Go on, ask me how I know).

So think I will change out for a modern 1-4/5/6

Magazine / Follower

upload_2019-5-18_14-21-45.png

2 things here:
1) Looks to me to be a standard length follower which is a bit short and I think is canting / tipping a bit so would improve feeding if sorted.
2) Might see if I can thin the follower a bit as right now I just can't quite ride the bolt over the top cartridge in the magazine and maybe .5mm might just be enough.

If I can avoid new bottom metal that would be great but it might come to that.

Stock
Currently the sling loop is on the forend which isn't great as it bites my finger so wonder if I can get it moved further forward or maybe go for a barrel band
Also the rifle itelf is rather light so quite "sporty" to shoot, considering a recoil reducer in the stock
(Or, Heresy, a Laminate stock in same profile for more weight...)

So, any thoughts folks?

Scrummy

PS, It's an FNH Commercial 98 receiver with which is apparently "For Parker Hale by Dumoulin" on the barrel so info happily received.

Also, any ideas on who's claw mounts these might be made by?

It appears that the stock already has a few inches added to it- or is that just in the photograph? So changes in the stock aren't as if the original was being changed. If you want the rifle a little heavier, the easiest way is to replace a little wood with lead. The Nickel is a great scope but it does appear to sit quite high, considering the claw mount, if another scope could be adjusted to fit closer to the bore.

Hi Ray, yes you are right, there has been some stock lengthening. I have a feeling the Mounts are Zeigler in which might be no bad thing as can get rings in 1" and 30mm size... Lead might not be a bad idea in the butt stock.

For a new scope I am tempted by a Kahles Helia 1-5x24 with the ballistic turret...

Couple of suggestions.

1. Don't touch the stock, shoot a friends 500 Jeffery or 505 Gibbs a few times and your 404 will feel like a maiden's kiss. Put on a slip on Limbsaver recoil pad for the range, when hunting the recoil doesn't matter as you won't notice it.

2. Barrel band is a good idea, that will solve the sling swivel issue.

3. Finally the magazine follower, it should be made for your specific cartridge, easy and cheap, lots of good gunsmiths out there who can make you one.

Nice rifle!

Couple of suggestions.

1. Don't touch the stock, shoot a friends 500 Jeffery or 505 Gibbs a few times and your 404 will feel like a maiden's kiss. Put on a slip on Limbsaver recoil pad for the range, when hunting the recoil doesn't matter as you won't notice it.

2. Barrel band is a good idea, that will solve the sling swivel issue.

3. Finally the magazine follower, it should be made for your specific cartridge, easy and cheap, lots of good gunsmiths out there who can make you one.

Nice rifle!

Thanks, will look into cartridge specific follower.

Shot a fellow club member’s 500J and my 404J side by side

I need more ammo!

Hi Scrummy,
Congrats on the acquisition of this rifle! Not easy to get in UK! So, wish you a good hunting with it!(y)

No comments on the upgrades, just wanted to ask, what do you plan to hunt with it?

Barrel-band would require a re-blueing, right. Perhaps easier to just move the forward sling swivel to the front of the stock, i.e. the screw goes parallel to the barrel. The old hole could be plugged with a piece of wood, or just a short screw that is level with the surface.

Hi Scrummy,
Congrats on the acquisition of this rifle! Not easy to get in UK! So, wish you a good hunting with it!(y)

No comments on the upgrades, just wanted to ask, what do you plan to hunt with it?

Would like to shoot a buff with it

Buff is on my wish list as well!!! In some of next seasons...
But reading anout the subject of ele, the idea of tuskless is also quietly getting in my mind...

Good luck!

Your "gentle" upgrades all sound good to me. Reworking whatever is necessary to get the rifle feeding reliably and smoothly is of the utmost priority. I prefer the three position "Winchester" safety, I've had "flag" safeties with issues. If you are going to add a little lead for weight, make sure you do so while maintaining a proper balance. My 404(s) are a CZ 550 and a converted Mod. 70 Winchester. I love them both.

Scrummy, since you have already tested it at the range: Can you share some impressions, recoil, accuracy, handiness etc?

Your "gentle" upgrades all sound good to me. Reworking whatever is necessary to get the rifle feeding reliably and smoothly is of the utmost priority. I prefer the three position "Winchester" safety, I've had "flag" safeties with issues. If you are going to add a little lead for weight, make sure you do so while maintaining a proper balance. My 404(s) are a CZ 550 and a converted Mod. 70 Winchester. I love them both.

Thanks very much. I have a feeling a proper length follower will go a long way to sorting the issues with canting / tipping last round. I prefer the "Winchester M70" type safeties too. I have 2 other FN Commercials - a 9,3x62 which is untapped and round bridge and has a flag safety and a 257 Roberts that is scoped and that has an M70 type safety.

Sarco are selling Dumoulin 3-position horizontal safeties: http://www.e-sarcoinc.com/dumoulin-mauser-98-bolt-sleeve.aspx

$125.

IN the UK a Recknagel horizontal safety is £295.20 and comes in the white so needs blacking / bluing / cerakoting... so that $376 before bluing...

I love getting gun parts in the UK

Scrummy, since you have already tested it at the range: Can you share some impressions, recoil, accuracy, handiness etc?
Generally I like it. Shoots well, bolt smooth, accurate as far as I can tell. Need more ammo and testing

Function is the first priority so the follower and safety would be my first concern and when that was sorted the barrel band and for the stock issues would see me looking for a very dense piece of walnut that would become a new stock but then I would not have to get a stockmaker to do that so costs would not be for more than the blank and the pachmeyer pad. I dont think I could live with that stock with the piece added to it, but that is just me.
Any 404 in use is a great addition to the cartridges storied history.

Function is the first priority so the follower and safety would be my first concern and when that was sorted the barrel band and for the stock issues would see me looking for a very dense piece of walnut that would become a new stock but then I would not have to get a stockmaker to do that so costs would not be for more than the blank and the pachmeyer pad. I dont think I could live with that stock with the piece added to it, but that is just me.
Any 404 in use is a great addition to the cartridges storied history.

Have no fear buddy, they are first priorities

Scrummy

Speaking of follower function, several years back I had an M70 338 rebarrelled to 375 RUM and the gunsmith needed to get a different follower and spring for it to function properly; also recently I had a Springfield 1903 made in 1919 that had started having problems with the last cartridge from the magazine. It turned out that over the years, nearly 100, the spring had lost a bit of its strength. Replacing the spring cured the problem.

Scrummy, have you taken a look at Boyd Laminated Gunstocks? They are IMHO heavier than a conventional wood stock. While not as pretty as a good Walnut stock they are no where near as pricey either. Providing you can import one here is the link: https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/
They can be purchased partially inleted and some require minor fitting.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-05-20 at 2.52.51 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-05-20 at 2.52.51 PM.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 176
Last edited:
Scrummy, have you taken a look at Boyd Laminated Gunstocks? They are IMHO heavier than a conventional wood stock. While not as pretty as a good Walnut stock they are no where near as pricey either. Providing you can import one here is the link: https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/
They can be purchased partially inleted and some require minor fitting.

I had wondered about a laminate stock as not pretty but very tough and a bit heavier

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jenniferlaw003

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg