Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA Life Member, Handgun Hunters International, Quail Forever, SCI, DSC, DU
Hunted
USA (MS, LA, WV, CO, TX, AL, AR, & NM), South Africa, New Brunswick, Canada
Decided to swap scope between two rifles so they would match better. Found out someone had apparently used an impact wrench and compressor to install two screws. After breaking two T10 bits, and a T10 screwdriver, I had to drill out the two screws. Found the scope had been in a bind, hopefully not damaged.

After an order to Brownells and a trip to warranty the screwdriver (Craftsman), I was ready to install another scope. Took a while to lap the scope rings, but finally got to around 75% contact between the inside of the rings and the scope tube.

image.jpeg
image-2.jpeg

Hopefully this may improve the accuracy of this Mini-14.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like it could have been torquing the action. My Mini really improved accuracy by bedding and trigger work.
Best of luck after all that work!

Having mounted scopes for a very large gun dealer and owning my own little scope mounting business, I’ve seen a lot of bad mounting. The worst to me is when the base screws have been red loctited. I’ve seen it mostly on rifles that have had a scope on them for a long time.

Another is when I receive a call from a potential customer wanting a scope mounted and I question them in detail about the rifle model and mounts they want installed. Some people get seriously offended and hang up. Used to bother me just a little bit not anymore. It’s the easily offended that usually bring the wrong bases. The most common mistake is made with Savages. The pre-Accutrigger models use a different rear base than the post Accutrigger models.

F8111652-482C-4C63-870C-F4EF3F7307F7.jpeg

This is the worst I've ever seen for Ruger rings. The eye end of the scope actually rose up out of the rear ring when I got it loose.

There was no locktite on any of the screws, just way too much torque on the ring screws.

Burris rings with the inserts negate lapping and misalignment. As far as accuracy and a Mini 14, Good Luck!:p:D

9A8823AF-7F22-44FE-8002-B15E3D79B1A1.jpeg

Please refer to above photo of how to mount a scope on a mini-14. Rings are torqued to exactly 22 pounds. Lol

Where can I get a set of those mounts.

Stick wasn't the way to go on those welds. TIG would have done a better job. :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

The propper torque for scope rings and of course any other screw in an important location is to tighten it till it strips then back it off a 1/4 turn :):)

The propper torque for scope rings and of course any other screw in an important location is to tighten it till it strips then back it off a 1/4 turn :):)

Huh... all this time I thought it was “as tight as you can get it, and then a quarter turn more” :ROFLMAO:

Sounds like it could have been torquing the action. My Mini really improved accuracy by bedding and trigger work.
Best of luck after all that work!

Good point.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pace88win__

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you