Major Khan

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
IMG_20200314_183527.jpg
IMG-53568a2a64d04774c6a775f439812bac-V.jpg
FB_IMG_1575727188171.jpg

I do not typically review products on social media . However , I must say that I am EXTREMELY pleased with the Lyavale Express brand of 12 Bore shot gun cartridges . I recently purchased a box of their 36 gram 2.75 inch AAA cartridges a few days back ( merely to try them out ) . These cartridges hold 44 pellets of specially hardened English AAA .
Today , I had the good fortune to partake in a most rewarding shikar for Greylag Geese with a few friends of mine . Those Lyavale Express AAA cartridges made me an extremely content shikaree .
I loaded up my old Belgian shot gun with a Lyavale Express AAA cartridge in the fully choked left barrel and the modified choked right barrel . At 50 yards , I gave a flying Greylag Geese the contents of my right barrel ... somewhat hesitant whether I had taken too long a shot .
However , the Lyavale Express AAA certainly did not disappoint . The goose dropped to the very 1st shot , and the recoil was not unpleasant in the slightest.
I used the 2nd barrel to dispatch another Greylag Goose which was escaping after being wounded by the son of a friend ( the young man was using a " Super X " # 4 buck shot cartridge from the brand , Winchester which held 27 pellets , in his 12 Bore Ithaca Model 37 modified choke pump shot gun .) This shot was also taken at little over 50 yards .
After returning home , I measured the weight of my Greylag Goose and he weighed a quite respectable 5 pounds .
7 pellets of AAA were what had laid the majestic bird low .
I personally view the Lyavale Express AAA cartridges as infinitely superior to the old ICI Eley Alphamax 36 gram 2.75 inch AAA cartridges , which I grew up shooting during my youth . The old Eley Alphamax AAA cartridges could not be expected to hold a decent pattern at any ranges longer than 35 yards , and several of the AAA pellets would invariably deform when being fired through the fully choked barrel of my " Old Belgian " .

However , the Lyavale Express 36 gram 2.75 inch AAA cartridges hold an unrivalled pattern out to even 50 yards and even when used through the fully choked barrel of my " Old Belgian " ... the results put the old ICI Eley Alphamax AAA cartridges of my old days to shame .
I cannot wait to try these cartridges out on our next driven hunt for Kakar deer ( Munjtac deer ) later during this year . I am confident that I shall not be left disappointed .

I sincerely apologise for the inappropriate format of this crude " review " . However , this is the very 1st time in my life that I am reviewing something on social media and therefore , I hope I am forgiven .
As for Lyavale Express ... They certainly have found a new customer in me !
Now , I have a beautiful Greylag Goose which needs roasting ( the 1st of 2020 ) .

Last edited:
I am a fan of Lyvale as well. Good cartridges. Is that a plastic or fibre wad do you know?

I am a fan of Lyvale as well. Good cartridges. Is that a plastic or fibre wad do you know?
Greats minds think alike , Scrumbag .
The Lyavale Express 36 gram 2.75 inch AAA cartridges which I used that day , all had fibre wads . I make it a point to always use fibre wad shot gun cartridges in my " Old Belgian " . In May , I plan to use these AAA cartridges in a driven hunt for Kakar deer . I shall write a report of how that 1 goes as well.

Major Khan, interesting you can find it in a Fibre wad.

I can only see advertised as plastic:

https://www.lyalvaleexpress.com/product/super-game-36-grams-2/

Wish we could get those here.

Scrummy
I am extremely embarrassed to say this , Scrumbag . However , you are correct and I was mistaken . The Lyavale Express 36 gram 2.75 inch AAA cartridges which I used / use all have plastic wads. I was told by our importer in Bangladesh that they used fibre wads and I believed him .
I always assumed that all British shot gun cartridge manufacturers employ fibre wads . However , I was clearly mistaken .
However, they still work marvellously in my " Old Belgian " . Lyavale Express cartridges has definitely found a dedicated new customer in me .
Eley Hawk and Hull Cartridge Company employ fibre wads in their shot gun cartridges .

Last edited:
This coming season all Lylvale Express cartridges will be fibre wad.
Looks like I shall need to stock up on their 36 gram AAA cartridges with the fibre wads then , Sika98k. As much as I admired the performance of the Lyavale Express AAA cartridges with plastic wads ... The cartridges with fibre wads are definitely on another level.

I will also add that Lyalvale Express cartridges are very good.
I used them for years, No6 shot 32gr for general game shooting.
I was always very confident using them and had great success.
They changed them to fibre only wads to be environmentally friendly in the UK but they seemed to be different in performance.

I found them hard to obtain in quantity so this year I changed to GameBore Black Gold and have been extremely impressed with this brand and type of cartridge.

I will also add that Lyalvale Express cartridges are very good.
I used them for years, No6 shot 32gr for general game shooting.
I was always very confident using them and had great success.
They changed them to fibre only wads to be environmentally friendly in the UK but they seemed to be different in performance.

I found them hard to obtain in quantity so this year I changed to GameBore Black Gold and have been extremely impressed with this brand and type of cartridge.
I use Game Bore #4 for ducks as well , Adrian . Unfortunately , Game Bore does not manufacture AAA cartridges .
Only Hull does ( in a 2.5 inch cartridge holding 37 pellets ) and Lyavale Express does ( in a 2.75 inch cartridge , holding 44 pellets . )

Sika, you're kidding me! I've been looking for a fibre wadded AAA for ages and now they bring one out!

Scrummy

Sika, you're kidding me! I've been looking for a fibre wadded AAA for ages and now they bring one out!

Scrummy
I was picking up some cartridges last week and the RFD in passing mentioned that from next season Express were going to supply all their game cartridges in F/W only.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brianguisy

Latest profile posts

Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,