Importing Trophies from UK to US

monteman11

Reaction score
Hunted
US, Canada, New Zealand
Hey all, new to the posting on this site but not the viewing. Never really have much to add but enjoy learning and reading about SA and other countries. I am currently ready to start reaching outside of the US in terms of hunting and have a few questions about bringing trophies back with me.:)

My first international hunt to New Zealand I cleared the trophies in LAX and took them with me. USFW met up with me and it seemed to not be an issue as they were salted, dried, and boiled clean. That being said, this was about 9 years ago and I am sure things have tightened up significantly.

After doing lots of research and making some phone calls, I am a little bit clearer on the rules, but not by much.

If I were to attempt to bring the salted/dried hides of CWD, Muntjac, and Roe back with me along with capped horns on clean skulls can it be done without a broker for a carry-through to my taxidermist?

One thing that stands out is that the UK, England, does not have physical hunting licenses. I was told by one broker that I needed proof of legal take and that since hunting is regulated by the estate, aside form hunting seasons, a letter about where I hunted legally would suffice. To me, that doesn't seem good enough. I would think a Veterinary certificate would be needed along with proper documentation of legal take and that the hunt took place during a legal season. I know I will need to contact USFW and fill out the correct paperwork, but after dealing with USDA, that seems to be the major hurdle. I have asked the outfitter and he has responded that the taxidermist would have the correct paperwork, but I haven't received confirmation of what that actually is.

I have a USDA approved taxidermist to take possession of the hides, but I am also not sure that is entirely necessary being that they will be cleaned and dried properly, but I also don't want to be holding the bag if that comes up.

I am also not opposed to using a broker, but at the same time, if I can do it myself and since we are talking about no CITES animals or primates, just deer, I wonder if it is truly necessary.

Anyone have any thoughts that they would be willing to share?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MorrisFloc

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg