Importing lions into Canada

Tyler.cariboo

Reaction score
Hunted
Canada
Hi I'm looking into a lion hunt right now out of South Africa. I've got everything all ready set up, and discussed with an outfitter, just need to book the hunt. I'm just curious to know what I might need in order to import the lion into Canada. I'm either going to get done a shoulder mount or rug done with the head attached. Have any of you imported a lion into Canada recently that could help me out, and give me a bit more information. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Tyler

I've done it a number of times. As Brickburn says, all you need is a CITES export permit from the exporting country.

It does not matter if the lion was hunted in the wild or on a game ranch/reserve (in other words, captive bred lions are not treated differently than wild lions in Canada). You can import taxidermied specimens, or dipped and packed skins, skulls, etc.

Canada follows CITES and does not impose its own rules on non-native (to Canada) species.

Hunting a lioness with Marius at KMG this summer and double checked with the folks at environment Canada and it is exactly as Brickburn posted above.

Hunting a lioness with Marius at KMG this summer and double checked with the folks at environment Canada and it is exactly as Brickburn posted above.

Hope you have a great hunt!

You can only get the export permit after the hunt. Your outfitter/ shipper would normally apply for the export permit.

Note that this only applies to Canadians.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EulaBowen

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!