Importation of trophies

Old welder

AH member
Reaction score
I have been in contact with numerous outfitters in the past few weeks attempting to plan my first time to South Africa. It has recently been brought to my attention that I may have trouble bringing mine and my son's animals back in to the US because of so many duplicate animals. Is this in fact likely to be a problem? Would a separate crate kill me on the budget? Or would I be better off just to mix the species up and take less or no duplicates at all. My main reason for doubling up is because one my son likes the same things I do and two I don't know when or even if we would have the opportunity to do this again. Any input from you fine folks out there would be greatly appreciated.

What country will you hunt in? I have imported, on first hunt, five animals times two.....so a total of ten mounts in one crate. This was from South Africa in 2013

I have been in contact with numerous outfitters in the past few weeks attempting to plan my first time to South Africa. It has recently been brought to my attention that I may have trouble bringing mine and my son's animals back in to the US because of so many duplicate animals. Is this in fact likely to be a problem? Would a separate crate kill me on the budget? Or would I be better off just to mix the species up and take less or no duplicates at all. My main reason for doubling up is because one my son likes the same things I do and two I don't know when or even if we would have the opportunity to do this again. Any input from you fine folks out there would be greatly appreciated.
South Africa. Maybe Eastern cape.

PM sent

So I think what you're running into is that hunters trophies aren't to be combined in the same crate for shipping. It isn't the duplicate animals that is a problem in the same crate, it is that each hunter must have his own crate, or crates.

each hunter has to have his own crate they are going to go by whose name or names is on the paperwork aka hunt registers, export documents, import documents, dip pack doumnets, vet certificates etc. etc. so to be safe I think you are paying for 2 crates

So in theory if the trip is booked by me, and everything is in my name only it should be no problem.

Correct. If all permits are in your name you can have multiple of the same animal in same crate.

Good morning Old Welder,
If you and your son have the same legal address and properly hunt under your own separate hunting permits, the trophies can be boxed together with the condition that there are two separate sets of export permits for each of you to comply with USFWL regulations. I stress legal address as supported by drivers license. If you want us to handle a trouble free import for you, please give us a call at 845-943-5943.
Thank you and good luck.
Robert

Thanks for clarifying that one Robert.

We are lucky to never have had this issue.
We (Canada) can ship multiple hunters in one crate without the address restrictions.

Robert is in the know.

I used his company almost 2 years ago and had zero problems. They will take care of you if you decide to let them handle your imports.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Huntingthewoods

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois