Importation of trophies

Old welder

AH member
Reaction score
I have been in contact with numerous outfitters in the past few weeks attempting to plan my first time to South Africa. It has recently been brought to my attention that I may have trouble bringing mine and my son's animals back in to the US because of so many duplicate animals. Is this in fact likely to be a problem? Would a separate crate kill me on the budget? Or would I be better off just to mix the species up and take less or no duplicates at all. My main reason for doubling up is because one my son likes the same things I do and two I don't know when or even if we would have the opportunity to do this again. Any input from you fine folks out there would be greatly appreciated.

CAustin

Bronze supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Courtney Hunting Club, NRA Life Member, SCI Kansas City Chapter
Hunted
South Africa, KwaZulu Natal, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas
What country will you hunt in? I have imported, on first hunt, five animals times two.....so a total of ten mounts in one crate. This was from South Africa in 2013

Old welder

AH member
Reaction score
I have been in contact with numerous outfitters in the past few weeks attempting to plan my first time to South Africa. It has recently been brought to my attention that I may have trouble bringing mine and my son's animals back in to the US because of so many duplicate animals. Is this in fact likely to be a problem? Would a separate crate kill me on the budget? Or would I be better off just to mix the species up and take less or no duplicates at all. My main reason for doubling up is because one my son likes the same things I do and two I don't know when or even if we would have the opportunity to do this again. Any input from you fine folks out there would be greatly appreciated.
South Africa. Maybe Eastern cape.

CAustin

Bronze supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Courtney Hunting Club, NRA Life Member, SCI Kansas City Chapter
Hunted
South Africa, KwaZulu Natal, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas
PM sent

Royal27

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
DSC, NRA, SCI
Hunted
USA - TX, CO, GA, ID. Africa - Zimbabwe, Zambia, and South Africa (Limpopo and EC)
So I think what you're running into is that hunters trophies aren't to be combined in the same crate for shipping. It isn't the duplicate animals that is a problem in the same crate, it is that each hunter must have his own crate, or crates.

Buckdog

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
each hunter has to have his own crate they are going to go by whose name or names is on the paperwork aka hunt registers, export documents, import documents, dip pack doumnets, vet certificates etc. etc. so to be safe I think you are paying for 2 crates

Royal27

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
DSC, NRA, SCI
Hunted
USA - TX, CO, GA, ID. Africa - Zimbabwe, Zambia, and South Africa (Limpopo and EC)
So in theory if the trip is booked by me, and everything is in my name only it should be no problem.

Correct. If all permits are in your name you can have multiple of the same animal in same crate.

robertq

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
Life member of DSC, SCI, NRA, Rocky Mt Elk Foundation, American Hunter, Buck Masters & Ruffed Grouse Society
Hunted
Russia, Argentina, Canada & South Africa
Good morning Old Welder,
If you and your son have the same legal address and properly hunt under your own separate hunting permits, the trophies can be boxed together with the condition that there are two separate sets of export permits for each of you to comply with USFWL regulations. I stress legal address as supported by drivers license. If you want us to handle a trouble free import for you, please give us a call at 845-943-5943.
Thank you and good luck.
Robert

BRICKBURN

Super moderator
Contributor
Lifetime titanium benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico, England
Thanks for clarifying that one Robert.

We are lucky to never have had this issue.
We (Canada) can ship multiple hunters in one crate without the address restrictions.

JimP

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA, RMEF
Hunted
US (Utah, Arizona, Idaho, Colorado, Nevada. Canada (British Colombia), South Africa (Eastern Cape)
Robert is in the know.

I used his company almost 2 years ago and had zero problems. They will take care of you if you decide to let them handle your imports.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lore2

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

BillyMiller wrote on Qc_BearHunter's profile.
Hi. I’m also new to AH. I’m a professional hunter in Zambia. If you would like me to quote or give you any advise would be more than happy to help. You can reach me on WhatsApp or Signal on +260 977 583697
Rifle57 wrote on Viral_SIGness's profile.
Viral is a great guy to trade with First Class all the way!!
Rickmt wrote on Justbryan's profile.
What is your new shorter rifle? Thanx Bryan !
raamw wrote on neckdeep's profile.
Supply your address so I can get shipping Paypal Friend (no ) fee) is fine
Viral_SIGness wrote on Rifle57's profile.
Great person to deal with. Fast communication and quick shipper!