Importation of Firearms Into Canada?

The best advice that I can offer you is to not fly through Toronto when going hunting in Canada. I did it once and that was enough. From that time on I have been buying more expensive airline tickets and flying into other locations.

Back to the poster's original question. I have flown into Canada with firearms to go hunting at least a dozen times over the last fifteen years - most recently in May of this year. In my experience, only Namibia has an easier entry process for hunters. You will go through immigration; you will take your firearm from either the regular belt or the oversize luggage claim area; you will take it to the cashier's station along with your firearms import form; you will pay a nominal fee by credit card ($25?) and be issued a temporary permit; you will then take luggage, firearm, firearm permit, and immigration form to the exit door; show it to the customs officer and be on your way. It is simple, and I have always been treated with great courtesy.

Truth in advertising - I have not been through Toronto, but have transited Vancouver several times (again as recently as May) which is hardly known as a bastion of conservatism.

As it stands right now, I have a three leg flight with a 3:19 hour layover in Toronto. I can change this to a two-leg (LAS-YYZ-YDF) with a 2:12 hour layover. Is two hours enough time to clear Customs and do all that I need to do?

The best advice that I can offer you is to not fly through Toronto when going hunting in Canada. I did it once and that was enough. From that time on I have been buying more expensive airline tickets and flying into other locations.

I have always maintained that if Canada was going to get an enema Toronto would get the tube

As it stands right now, I have a three leg flight with a 3:19 hour layover in Toronto. I can change this to a two-leg (LAS-YYZ-YDF) with a 2:12 hour layover. Is two hours enough time to clear Customs and do all that I need to do?

I like to leave at least 3 hrs layover to cover unforeseen circumstances like flight delays, customs etc. this applies in spades when travelling with a gun. Case in point even though I clear US customs in Montreal and have my gun cleared the baggage monkeys in Atlanta always throw it on the TSA belt and I have to leave the secure area, deal with TSA and clear security again. You get the idea. Better to waste a bit in departure than miss a connection

I assume you don't have a NEXUS pass, so I would keep the longer layover. You likely won't need the extra hour, but if you do, you'll be a lot less stressed that you have it. The challenge is that Toronto airport can be very busy, and the lines can be long. I believe they also have a law about working too fast.

Even coming back into Canada at Calgary I will take a longer connection, with the new part of the airport things don't always work right. But they are getting better, last time it took an hour to find my guns, they had loaded onto the next flight and I was waiting to go through customs.

While definitely not a legal requirement, having some sort of documentation from the outfitter you will be hunting with is not a bad idea.

Reactions: lcq
Henks2211: I have Global Entry which lets me access the Nexus line. However, I think you guys are right. As much as I hate to sit around airports, it is better to not take chances.
And I agree about documentation. I'll reach out to the outfitter and ask for a Letter of Invitation.

Henks2211: I have Global Entry which lets me access the Nexus line. However, I think you guys are right. As much as I hate to sit around airports, it is better to not take chances.
And I agree about documentation. I'll reach out to the outfitter and ask for a Letter of Invitation.
I have never had a "invitation letter" for Canada and never been asked for one.

You don't require one but the more documentation you have to support your story why you are bringing firearms into Canada or whatever country you are visiting the better. At the end of the day they don't have to allow you or your firearm into the country. I like to have lots of documentation to support my story of why I'm visiting.

Will likely be a surprise and nuisance to your outfitter. There is no requirement and you will not be asked by the permit clerk.

A copy of your hunting contract would be all you'd need. Until you've run into an over officious agent, you don't appreciate the value of loads of documentation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EllieBoatm

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross