IMPORTANT: Immediate Changes to South African Firearm Registration Guidelines for American Hunters

Mike B

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Website
www.bazarsolutions.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Member of
DSC - Lifetime Member, NRA
Hunted
South Africa, Argentina, US (TX, NM, SD), Botswana
An URGENT message from the Professional Hunters' Association of South Africa:

The South African Police Services’ central firearms desk advised that they will no longer accept America’s Department of Homeland Security’s Certificate of Registration, commonly known as CBP Form 4457, if the date in the top right hand corner has expired.

The NEW CBP Form 4457, is available from Homeland Security’s official website: https://www.cbp.gov/…/docume…/2016-Aug/CBP%20Form%204457.pdf

PHASA wish to alert all hunters traveling to/through South Africa, to obtain a new Certificate of Registration listing their firearms, prior to leaving the United States of America. Other ports of entry elsewhere in the World may follow suit so make sure your 4457 is valid.

PHASA strongly advises hunting clients to pre-apply, through a reputable, registered meet-and-greet agency, for temporary import/export firearm and/or transit permits. Although there is a small fee payable to these service providers, the peace of mind and time saved at the firearm permit office at OR Tambo International Airport, is well worth the effort.

We also request members of the public to treat our South African police officers courteously and in the same manner as they would like to be treated. Paying bribes is not acceptable under any circumstances and hunters are encouraged to expose anyone who tries to extort money or who offers a bribe to an official in order to circumvent due legal procedures.

Attachments

• CBP Form 4457.pdf
    558.3 KB · Views: 639
We also request members of the public to treat our South African police officers courteously and in the same manner as they would like to be treated. Paying bribes is not acceptable under any circumstances and hunters are encouraged to expose anyone who tries to extort money or who offers a bribe to an official in order to circumvent due legal procedures.

Sure... Or you can pay the bribe and not have a $20,000 hunt come to an unhappy end. Since the expiration on the top right is just for the OMB review of time required to complete the document, and since US customs has clearly stated the signed forms NEVER expire in their valid legal standing, it is safe to say this is a move to collect more bribes. Sorry to stir the pot, but saying "don't pay the bribe" is ridiculous armchair quarterbacking from our US based easy chairs. Tell that to 100 hunters sitting at SAPS and I bet 99 of them will pay the piper rather than ruin a hunt.

This is in the worst an inconvenience for me to not be able to use "old" 4457's. But being that the CBP office at Phoenix Sky Harbor is about a 5 minute drive from where I'm sitting, it's not even that much of an inconvenience. For those who might have to travel for hours to the closest CBP office, this is a PITA.

That said, I wouldn't put my hunt or hunting with my rifles in jeopardy. Get the newest form and redo the process.

I would suggest to @BRICKBURN and El Supremo aka @AfricaHunting.com that this thread be made a sticky or at least the link in the OP be made into a sticky so that the form be easily found and downloaded.

SCI just issued the same alert.
Immediate Changes to South African Firearm Registration Guidelines for American Hunters

The South African Police Services’ Central Firearms Desk has announced its decision to no longer accept United States Department of Homeland Security Certificates of Registration, commonly known as CBP Form 4457, if the date in the top right had corner of the form has expired.

“We encourage all Safari Club members to complete a new CBF Form 4457 before embarking on any international travel with firearms,” said Larry Higgins, President of SCI. “While South Africa is currently the only country to make this decision, others will likely follow suit. Members should ensure their 4457 Form is valid before leaving the U.S.”

This new form can be found attached.

Source: Safari Club Internaytional (SCI)

Attachments

• CBP Form 4457.pdf
    558.3 KB · Views: 438
@Mike B, Really appreciate you bringing this news on AH! (y)(y)

Your article titles are better than mine... (y)

Well, that's awesome. I guess I'm going back to the airport on Friday. Hopefully, this won't derail the pre-approved firearms permit that Afton arranged for me. I leave the US on 04/13.
This is one of the MANY reasons that I'm thankful for AfricaHunting.com. If it didn't read this page multiple times a day, I would have been screwed.

This is one of the MANY reasons that I'm thankful for AfricaHunting.com. If it didn't read this page multiple times a day, I would have been screwed.
(y)

Also sending out an email right now to all AH members informing them of this important announcement.

Just checking all my 4457's camera, binoculars, rifle. Dated 2012 thru 2016 I have to redo all. Thank you for the heads up. Mozambique in July

@Buff-Buster as stated above SCI has issued this warning here in the US as well, check your 4457's you and Jeremy are going to be packing a lot of Iron in June.

That's funny ..... the 4457 is for the return to the USA.......... not for leaving.....

So what is RSA doing about other countries coming in with firearms. ???????? I wonder if this is because of what is going on with FWS and Africa ?????

Last edited:
Now if they can just get the guy in the baggage area to stop shaking me down by asking for $$ to make sure my gun gets on the right plane to the East Cape and doesn't end up on a plane to Capetown... (thinly veiled threat that he will make sure my rifle disappears if he is not paid)

Question----I have a pad of them I got this year at the airport which have the "OMB No. 1651-0010" number at the top right corner but that is all. No expiration date below it like the sample shown.
In the bottom right corner is "CBP Form 4457 (06/92)" which is slightly different.

Does anyone know if these are still good to use???

I was at us customs in Dallas last week. They explained that the forms never expire. The date on the top right is the date of print not the date of expiration.

This is one of them times (of many may I add), when its beneficial to be British

This is a real pain in the ass. Just called customs they want all the guns present again. Kind of stupid don't you think ? They can surely just issue the updated form. Does it make sense to bring the guns again? What am I going to do bring back different guns?

From sending out this notification to members I have been receiving quite a few emails with members complaining or remarking about the bribe issue at the airport in South Africa. This has been going on for too long in my opinion so I would suggest anyone who has experienced this to complain to PHASA, perhaps if they receive enough complaint they will realize that it is an issue and perhaps do something about it and make sure that it stops.

I wanted to share this bit from our of our members with you here as it is good information to remember as well:
"P.S. I've been to Africa 12 times and have never paid a bribe. I've been asked for one several times, but not by those hired by the airport authority who are in charge. Bribes have been sought by others pretending to work for the airport authority."

Regarding bribes that go on at the airport in South Africa please note that the issuing of the SAPS 520 is a free service and the South African Police Service in an effort to control bribery asks hunters NOT to pay anybody involved in handling firearms from the time of arrival in South Africa right through until you receive your firearms and permit from the SAPS. Clients that are paying the various airline staff, security staff, or porters involved are actually perpetuating this problem. Please note however that there may be a handling fee charged by airlines and/or security companies for the handling of handguns, and some airlines have started charging a handling fee for all firearms. I suggest checking with your airline with regard to any official fees that may be required.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg