Immigration Detains Namibian For Having No ID

NamStay

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
A NAMIBIAN arrested along with a South African missionary couple found guilty of overstaying in the country about three weeks ago has been in custody ever since.

Hausiku Siuka Bethold Mukoso (22) from Rundu was arrested on 11 January at Brakwater with Brian and Pam Kinghorn.

While the Kinghorns, who had been in Namibia for 24 years, were found guilty and fined, Mukoso was not released because home affairs says they cannot find his records to prove that he is Namibian.

Mukoso has been detained at the Katutura police holding cells without a charge or a court appearance.

Toivo Mwaala, the immigration official who arrested Mukoso, said he cannot release him because his name does not appear on the home affairs system.

“We wonder how he got his voters' registration card when he does not have an identification document. We will try to find out from the Electoral Commission of Namibia how he was issued with the card in the first place,” said Mwaala yesterday.

Mukoso's brother, Immanuel Siwombe Mukoso, told The Namibian from Rundu yesterday that he sent his brother's certified copies of national documents but they are still refusing to release him.

“They first said I must send copies of his national documents but later changed their minds saying they want original documents. But what is the difference between the two?” asked Siwombe Mukoso.

Mukoso's friend said he has not appeared in court and has not been charged since his arrest and detention.

The Namibian has seen the certified copies of Mukoso's voters' registration card and certified copies of both his parents' identity documents that were presented to immigration officials two weeks ago.

“Officials are questioning why he has a voters' registration card and does not have an identification document, but the family told us that he managed to get a voters card because his village headman testified that he was indeed a Namibian,” said the friend who declined to be named.

Meanwhile, human rights lawyer Norman Tjombe told The Namibian that although the Kinghorns have opted to leave after their court appearance, they cannot do so because the home affairs ministry is withholding their passports.

“The ministry wants to take them [couple] to the tribunal, which is unlawful,” said Tjombe yesterday.

Home affairs spokesperson Sackeus Kadhikwa insisted yesterday that the Kinghorns must appear before the tribunal so that they can be blacklisted and prevented from returning to Namibia.

Kadhikwa, however, said he cannot comment on the case of Mukoso as he has not heard about it.

Source: The Namibian

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AishaYpd4

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross