Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA
Hunted
Michigan, Texas, Missouri, Limpopo Province South Africa
Ever since I began hearing about BRNO VZ -24(s) on AH I've been looking for one. I'm cheap and didn't want to pay Gunbroker prices for one. But at the same time, I didn't want a pile of junk or a rusty piece of scrap iron. Long story short I found what I think is a good rifle at an estate sale for about half the going rate. My question is this, "how do you adjust this thing for windage? I haven't shot it yet and don't know if it is necessary. The front site has a protective "shield" around it that looks to be removable. It it as simple as removing the "shield" and tapping the sight? As is the rear sight setting at its' lowest elevation is 300 meters. What is the easiest and best way to get a 100 meter zero? If the rifle doesn't group, I'll probably get it re-barreled. Any suggestions??

Have you considered just putting on a scope?

If it’s in military condition the windage should be adjusted with front sight. However I think you find it unnecessary. Some places sell a taller front sight to facilitate short range shooting. With my Chilean 7mm, I just tinkered around with different loads until I found one which shot to the sights.

You could ask new member from Europe @markkal. He is a Brno collector.

The front sight hood (shade/weatherproof roof) is just spring steel and pops off when you squeeze the sides and slide it back or forth out of the grooves. Check the dovetail for lock screws (the piece with the front sight pin itself.) Is it mounted to a base which is in-turn screwed to the barrel or is it old-school dovetail that simply fits tightly within a groove cut in the barrel (yes, in which case you tap it left or right.) As suggested above, the rear sight may be adjusted without fooling with the front. A picture is worth 1,000 words....post some pics.

Last edited:
The front sight will have to be shortened/replaced with a taller post/triangle in order make you aim lower, bringing the strike of the round down to be on target at 100 yards. Fiddling with a load is also possible, but I know Shootist43 will try and get 3200 FPS out of his rounds - LOL!!!!

Drift the front sight for windage.

Ever since I began hearing about BRNO VZ -24(s) on AH I've been looking for one. I'm cheap and didn't want to pay Gunbroker prices for one. But at the same time, I didn't want a pile of junk or a rusty piece of scrap iron. Long story short I found what I think is a good rifle at an estate sale for about half the going rate. My question is this, "how do you adjust this thing for windage? I haven't shot it yet and don't know if it is necessary. The front site has a protective "shield" around it that looks to be removable. It it as simple as removing the "shield" and tapping the sight? As is the rear sight setting at its' lowest elevation is 300 meters. What is the easiest and best way to get a 100 meter zero? If the rifle doesn't group, I'll probably get it re-barreled. Any suggestions??
Heard you were going to the estate sale and figured you would indeed leave with at least on rifle. Did others make it back to your house? Say a 6.5 Sweed?

Charlie, in fact they had four Swedes in the auction. Every other firearm was a one off. The utility of the Swedes must be catching on. The starting price was more than I was willing to pay. One of the rifles sold for more than three times the price I was willing to pay for it.

Charlie, in fact they had four Swedes in the auction. Every other firearm was a one off. The utility of the Swedes must be catching on. The starting price was more than I was willing to pay. One of the rifles sold for more than three times the price I was willing to pay for it.
Well at least you came home with something

Have you considered just putting on a scope?
Or, if you’d rather not mount a scope, may I recommend finding a receiver peep sight like a Lyman 57 that’s fully adjustable for height and windage? Much, much better than the barrel-mounted military sights.

I spoke with a gunsmith at Brownells yesterday afternoon. The shroud comes off pretty much as I thought. The front sight is then "drifted" left or right for windage adjustments. I also asked about a taller front sight so I can zero the rifle for 100 Yds. They are available, so I ordered two. One for me and the other for a buddy that owns a VZ - 24 as well. I started cleaning up the exterior with a little Kroil and 0000 Steel Wool, it looks much better now. Today I'm going to clean the bore and give it the Kroil treatment as well. I'll post photos once I'm ready. Thanks to everyone that replied.

I took this tired old lady out to a 100 Yd. range today. Like most of the Military Mausers this one is set up with 300 meter zero. I knew the shots were going to be high, so I aimed at the bottom of the target for the first three shots. After seeing where they printed, I aimed a little lower and a scooch right, resulting in the 10 ring hit.

1651191919496.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Donnie58Q

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!