SOUTH AFRICA: I'm back from safari #1

Wow, sounds like you had a great 1st safari! Nice report and great photos. You certainly shot some nice trophies. So I assume you've already planned your next trip to Africa!

Wow, sounds like you had a great 1st safari! Nice report and great photos. You certainly shot some nice trophies. So I assume you've already planned your next trip to Africa!
Why yes, I am planning on going back, hopefully 2025 or 2026.

My wife had a great time as an observer and was with every minute for 6 days of hunting. She said that once was enough for her and she'll visit other parts of the world with her sister while I go hunting.

I'm hoping to find a buddy to go with and hunt 2x1 with me. I only ask for first shot at Sable. They can have first shot at any other animal they want. Other than Sable I'd like a Black Impala, I think they'd look nice mounted next to each other. Besides that, I'll be happy to take whatever Africa has to offer. I would definitely go back to the same camp and would be happy as can be to hunt with the same PH.

Congrats on your first safari!
Excellent observations and I agree with you on everything except the gun case. The whole "plastic" gun case thing is caused by those cheap, flimsy Plano cases we all used to have. Those have no business being on an airplane! They are also the ones that have caused us to have the lock in every hole requirement.
How about filling us in on safari #2 plans?
Regards,
Philip

Congrats on your first safari!
Excellent observations and I agree with you on everything except the gun case. The whole "plastic" gun case thing is caused by those cheap, flimsy Plano cases we all used to have. Those have no business being on an airplane! They are also the ones that have caused us to have the lock in every hole requirement.
How about filling us in on safari #2 plans?
Regards,
Philip
Yea, I'm sure they are the cases the TSA agent was talking about. I started with one before I started flying. I still use it for driving trips but I'd never fly with it.

My next safari will happen, likely in 2025 or 2026. I have to line up a partner or two or three first. I'd let them have first shot at anything they'd like except Sable, I'll call that one. I'd also like a Black Impala and whatever else Africa has to offer.

Congrats on your 1st Safari.

Yea, I'm sure they are the cases the TSA agent was talking about. I started with one before I started flying. I still use it for driving trips but I'd never fly with it.

My next safari will happen, likely in 2025 or 2026. I have to line up a partner or two or three first. I'd let them have first shot at anything they'd like except Sable, I'll call that one. I'd also like a Black Impala and whatever else Africa has to offer.
It's always good to be planning that next safari. It is nice to take some friends along as well. Have them check out my safari planning videos in the Safari Planning section and on my YouTube (Philip Glass Hunter). Happy Planning!

7. When traveling with United we were allowed two checked bags each. We took my rifle as one item and a large duffel bag as the other, this duffell held all of our clothes equipment. My binoculars were in the rifle case. We each had a small bag that would fit under the seat ahead of us. I would avoid using a bag that requires the overhead bins. We flew Economy and on every single leg the overhead bins filled up before we got on the plane. You'll be checking bags anyway, just check your stuff and let them carry it for you.
Absolutely wonder report, thank you so much for sharing, I love hearing others ideas/experiences. Just a couple of notes from my personal experience, on 3 of my safaris, my checked 'clothing' bag arrived up to 9 days later, so now when I travel I have a 40L backpack and 90% of my clothes travel with me. The other thing I just started taking was a 'power bank' to keep plugged in so if I come back from hunting and the electric is out, or you are in a camp that uses generators on a limited time basis, your power bank will be fully charged and you will be able to charge up your cell phone and other electronics.

Congratz on your first safari. Your observations were very good. enjoy the planning for trip # 2 as the Africa bug has bit you just like many others of us here on AH.

Nice first safari, congrats!

Your PH was not wrong. Those are very fine animals. Wasn't the gemsbuck a cow? Nothing wrong with that - they generally have longer horns. The horns on yours looked slender for a bull. Extremely nice one. Extremely! And that kudu is a beauty!
That oryx is obviously a bull. But you sound like you’re an old hand at Africa

Last edited:
Congratulations on what looks like a fantastic safari. Nothing like a first safari. Now time to begin planning number two. It’s addictive.
Prior to my departing on my first safari, a good friend of mine sent me a note: “You’re not going on a vacation, or a trip… You’re going on a SAFARI!
He recently retired and now is currently planning his first.

Awesome report, great story, incredible trophies!
I created an account today just so that I could congratulate you on finding or having 200 grain swift a-frames. I have a safari coming up in June of 24 and i'm convinced I'll have to settle for a different bullet.

I don't reload. I shoot a 300 WM because it can take a 200 grain bullet and do it with the same trajectory as a 30-06 with a 180. I just like the heavier bullet, especially a well constructed bullet like the A=Frame. I bought a case of them in 2006 and have harvested many (many) animals with complete pass through shots, some at difficult angles. Love this load, can't find it anymore. Remington used to load it in their Safari Grade loads.

I'm going to Federal Premium 180 grain Accubonds. Heard good reports and my rifle likes them.

Another great factory load I used to use is the Federal Premium High Energy 200 grain Nosler Partition. Long discontinued. A very accurate factory load that really made things tip over.

I don't reload. I shoot a 300 WM because it can take a 200 grain bullet and do it with the same trajectory as a 30-06 with a 180. I just like the heavier bullet, especially a well constructed bullet like the A=Frame. I bought a case of them in 2006 and have harvested many (many) animals with complete pass through shots, some at difficult angles. Love this load, can't find it anymore. Remington used to load it in their Safari Grade loads.

I'm going to Federal Premium 180 grain Accubonds. Heard good reports and my rifle likes them.

Another great factory load I used to use is the Federal Premium High Energy 200 grain Nosler Partition. Long discontinued. A very accurate factory load that really made things tip over.
Really wish I could find some heavy .30 cal nosler or swift bullets, but shelves are wiped out. Seems like manufacturers are focusing on building ammo rather than components. I guess if that's where the money is I can't blame them. Anyway, sorry to derail the thread!

Really wish I could find some heavy .30 cal nosler or swift bullets, but shelves are wiped out. Seems like manufacturers are focusing on building ammo rather than components. I guess if that's where the money is I can't blame them. Anyway, sorry to derail the thread!
Federal is loading a 200 grain factory load again. A new bullet I'm not familiar with, but I will likely give it a try.

I like a 200 grain bullet with a .300 WM.

Federal is loading a 200 grain factory load again. A new bullet I'm not familiar with, but I will likely give it a try.

I like a 200 grain bullet with a .300 WM.
Congrats on a successful hunt!

The bullet in question is called the Terminal Ascent. I made a thread asking about it a while back since I was also looking for a readily available 200 grain option. I've since finished the rifle and sighted it in with that load and results look promising as far as accuracy, but I really haven't shot it too much yet. I haven't hunted with it yet either, but I believe a few others responded to that thread with positive feedback.

Link: https://www.africahunting.com/threads/federal-terminal-ascent-for-plains-game.72493/

Those are some really good trophies. Beautiful Kudu!

Congrats and thanks for sharing!

Photo equipment. Most everyone uses phones for this now, but I did bring my digital camera and took backup photos. Take your time and take good photos.

Good idea in regard to bringing a digital camera. Mine stopped working due to heat after 15 minutes, good thing I also had a digital camera. Here is a screen shot of mine in camp, in my room and it was in the shade.

1699378611625.jpeg

Good idea in regard to bringing a digital camera. Mine stopped working due to heat after 15 minutes, good thing I also had a digital camera. Here is a screen shot of mine in camp, in my room and it was in the shade.

View attachment 568206

I remember putting our cellphones in the fridge to cool them down , at least when the power was working.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PWA703

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.