I'll be, The "Sako 500 J" arrived!

My only load for my 500 Jeffery is a 570g TSX at 2300 fps. Since I don't plan to hunt elephants I don't load solids, though I have some of the Barnes 570g banded ones. Recoil is ... sporty
Completely incompetent to reloading & a distrust in anyone I know to attempt it here at least with this cartridge & rifle in particular, I shoot factory with one exception. The AHR was built with the previous owner using 600 grn. woodleigh's @2100 fps. Whether or not, it's an ideal load? it is extremely accurate. Long story long, it may seem like splitting hairs, however out the Nosler's, Kynoch's, Norma's 570's .. those "Norma 540's" have to be the most god awful.

Gotta run, we'll try to get this out again this week!
Stay Safe, Regards.

Completely incompetent to reloading & a distrust in anyone I know to attempt it here at least with this cartridge & rifle in particular, I shoot factory with one exception. The AHR was built with the previous owner using 600 grn. woodleigh's @2100 fps. Whether or not, it's an ideal load? it is extremely accurate. Long story long, it may seem like splitting hairs, however out the Nosler's, Kynoch's, Norma's 570's .. those "Norma 540's" have to be the most god awful.

Gotta run, we'll try to get this out again this week!
Stay Safe, Regards.
What other rifle calibers do you have?
Do you have a .357 or .38 special?
This mistrust is a good and bad thing. Reloading isn't rocket science. You should always start reloading with the .38 special. It's long enough that it requires some finesse to load, but it's an easy cartridge to learn to set dies for and destroying brass isn't a big deal. From there I'd move to the .30-06 and learn the finer points of case lubrication, full length sizing vs. neck sizing, bumping the neck and adjusting neck tension all on a larger powder charge. When you're comfy with all that you can load for your Jeff no problem. Do make sure when you buy a single stage press that it has enough stroke for the big cartridges. Also invest in a balance beam scale to measure against whatever advanced technology you are using to measure your powder charges. Digital is great, but balance beam never lies.

All good. I am well of the issues with the 375 H&H chambered 85 (and thank TOBY458 for sharing his experience...I read it when he originally posted the tale). As you correctly point out, we all need out be aware of potential issues with other chamberings. Likewise...as TOBY458 points out, this is not an apparent issue with all chamberings (the vast majority?) of 85 action rifles. My personal experience is in league with his assertion. Hence, the only intent of my post was to not make a generalization regarding all Sako 85 rifles, as I don't think it would be accurate. The video was just for giggles and to illustrate that the internet is full of crazy shite ..but that crazy shite lives forever.....

Now where is that bourbon bottle.......
DG caliber rifles are in a different league and the Sako 85 is not part of it....quite simple....
A 300 WM is a small bore by comparison....

Always amazing to see people get all upset just because they have the same make of rifle in a different caliber....I own one so it cannot be shite....even if it is for the purpose....

Anyway whatever rifle is chosen make sure it operates as intended under all condtions if the intentiin is to use it for DG hunting....

Short story Long .. it's too short for a long gun, in 500J, for me at least.
Took another beating, regressing opposed to Wayne's build. Need some more time with this. 9lbs is pretty obvious what to expect. Cycled really well, nice trigger, etc, however someone mentioned the bead being a bit oversized, I can attest.
Sorry, the only footage was the surroundings being filmed & paused during the shots ;
Still, a great addition & somewhat of a rare catch! Let's try this again...

@Daniel Cary I am trying to figure out what you are doing here. Are you just collecting .500 Jeff's? Are you happy with the Sako? Are you happy with the AHR? Are you just biding your time until you can find another giant double?

@Daniel Cary I am trying to figure out what you are doing here. Are you just collecting .500 Jeff's? Are you happy with the Sako? Are you happy with the AHR? Are you just biding your time until you can find another giant double?
; I barely know what I'm doing .. it's 50/50.
The Sako was an attempted introduction to the cartridge, when I was certain it was lost, the AHR was purchased in place. Impressed immediately with the 500 J!
However, learned a great deal of the importance of a proper fit, tolerance, etc. here and in practice.

Since the world went upside down, it's been extremely difficult to have a simple outing or make correspondence & i couldn't be more appreciative to those that have took the time to respond here.
In conclusion, I am indeed grateful for both purchases, 9lbs can be an advantage? and they are beautiful builds regardless. "Ruger's RSM", still most practical .. the 500's, to be cont.

Thank You AH, Regards.

I should have placed targets ideally. I tried everything with this motherless son of a.. to see what or if I'm hitting anything. Out of frustration i moved in that close.
The only rounds used were 30 Factory 540 grn. Norma's

The 540's are half the price of Norma's 570 grn. PH? If anyone can comment, or no why, greatly appreciated.

Less it's me, developed a flinch, etc, idk? .. I am not in the pocket with this thing.
And "do they regulate these from the factory"?

Last edited:
That's a lot of things. The recoil looks ridiculous. Wow and oww. At what point have returns diminished? That .458 Lott is all I will ever need. Maybe a bit beyond. That thing seems beyond what is tolerable.
To say the least Forest!, lol! could create a dangerous situation quickly, no way. We'll just make other people shoot it ; Thanks for watching man!

To say the least Forest!, lol! could create a dangerous situation quickly, no way. We'll just make other people shoot it ; Thanks for watching man!
I enjoyed the video for sure. Sounds like you're searching for answers with that gun. I'm searching for the same thing with the Lott sometimes.

Ya know, it's a privilege to be able to own, shoot, hunt, & have these discussions respectively. My biggest concern in current affairs is the future legislation/regulation. I'm not an impulsive person by any means and it's extremely difficult to commit & make future decisions.

Can't go wrong with a "500 Jeffery" Let Freedom Reign!

Last edited:
Why do people pull bolt guns down to cycle them... I don't get it, don't do it even with my 458 lott

Wasting time. My 458 lott was made comfortable with a limbsaver nitro recoil pad, which is also 1 1/2" thick, so if you need more length of pull, it helps. Also by adding weight, it's 10 1/2lbs, then with a muzzle brake as well.

Love shooting the thing.

If I wander into 500Jeff or 505 Gibbs, I'm going to look to have a 14-15lb rifle, still with a muzzle brake.

Even my coyote rifles were 15+ lbs, never minded a heavy gun myself, wish my 458 lott was 12lbs, but this has actually worked out ok at 10 1/2.

I'd like to see you lean into that thing more.

I've got to file my rear sight down some more and get out with the 458 lott, she's still 1/4"-1/2" or so high.
Once I get her dialed I'll have to see about videoing some shooting, would like to video how I shoot my 500 S&W as well, not that I am anything better then anyone else, but just to see, what's what.

I'd say it's the gun .. but I blame,?.. last minute windage!

See., it's not that bad, excellent form! ;
kick.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JudeWjg34

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross