I'll be, The "Sako 500 J" arrived!

Funny thing is, I just got my trophies today. The hole in the Buffalo skull from the 470 is a reminder of this very same hunt we are discussing here.....
Man I hope to get a chance at a Buffalo with my new rifle. Always love reading all you guys and gals stories .

A few years ago myself and a mate both ordered brand new Sako 85's at the same time, one brown bear and one Kodiak. Both had the ejection issue mentioned when our dealer was mounting optics and test firing them, we never even took delivery of them in the end and our dealer sent them back to Beretta Australia and got a full refund on both rifles. As Toby mentioned I have also heard the 375 is the worst culprit for this issue but I have also seen 9.3X62's with the issue. 500 Jeffery might be fine. Issues I see with the Sako 85 Brown Bear in 500 Jeffery straight away are- Far too light for the calibre, definitely needs weight/recoil reducer added, the recoil pads from the factory are as hard as a rock, definitely needs a premium pad fitted my personal favourite is the Pachmyar decelerators, if you are going to use iron sights you may need to change out the front sight, the bead is huge and for me blocks out far too much sight picture. Having said all that as long as the 500 Jeffery doesn't have the ejection issue you could have all the said work done and still have a very affordable rifle in 500 Jeffery with one of the slickest actions you can find.

@Roller - I’m not starting an internet beef with you over the 85 action. The OP asked for advice and I gave him some very useful council that could save his life. @TOBY458 has first-hand experience with this, and you are correct…I do not. But it doesn’t change the fact that it “could” be an issue and it’s worth investigating.

I’m glad you’ve not had any issues with your Sako 85. They are wonderful rifles and with proper care will provide generational service to your family.

Not a beef with you or the Sako 85, just the facts. I hope you don’t take offense.

@Roller - I’m not starting an internet beef with you over the 85 action. The OP asked for advice and I gave him some very useful council that could save his life. @TOBY458 has first-hand experience with this, and you are correct…I do not. But it doesn’t change the fact that it “could” be an issue and it’s worth investigating.

I’m glad you’ve not had any issues with your Sako 85. They are wonderful rifles and with proper care will provide generational service to your family.

Not a beef with you or the Sako 85, just the facts. I hope you don’t take offense.
All good. I am well of the issues with the 375 H&H chambered 85 (and thank TOBY458 for sharing his experience...I read it when he originally posted the tale). As you correctly point out, we all need out be aware of potential issues with other chamberings. Likewise...as TOBY458 points out, this is not an apparent issue with all chamberings (the vast majority?) of 85 action rifles. My personal experience is in league with his assertion. Hence, the only intent of my post was to not make a generalization regarding all Sako 85 rifles, as I don't think it would be accurate. The video was just for giggles and to illustrate that the internet is full of crazy shite ..but that crazy shite lives forever.....

Now where is that bourbon bottle.......

I don't know much about the sako 85 and other than they are center feed I believe , solid, and simple. You'll love the 500J caliber, I just picked up a davenport mauser here recently and absolutely love it, dreamy to hand load for as I like to shoot it so far with 535gr at 2200-2250fps. Once I go above that, its a bit much for me. I'm getting older and the rifle weighs 10 lbs 5 oz. If you're a handloader make sure to try H4895 96-98 gr, mag primers and 535-540 gr bullets. I am cutting a kynoch wad in half and using as topper.....dreamy I'm telling ya! Enjoy sir-

I own a Sako Brown Bear in .375 H&H, and .450 Rigby, as well as Sako Kodiak in .375 H&H. I have seen a video on youtube of a guy that was having trouble with ejection issues, but it appeared (at least to me) that he had an oversized turret hanging over the bolt. For what it's worth I've never had these issues, and I've fired these guns a lot.
Buff Complete.jpg

Great looking gun, nice buy, I'm sure it will be very accurate.

I can't imagine what the recoil on the .500 is like, the .450 was bad enough that I eventually had the barrel ported, which did make it much easier to shoot.

I own a Sako Brown Bear in .375 H&H, and .450 Rigby, as well as Sako Kodiak in .375 H&H. I have seen a video on youtube of a guy that was having trouble with ejection issues, but it appeared (at least to me) that he had an oversized turret hanging over the bolt. For what it's worth I've never had these issues, and I've fired these guns a lot.
View attachment 403652

Great looking gun, nice buy, I'm sure it will be very accurate.

I can't imagine what the recoil on the .500 is like, the .450 was bad enough that I eventually had the barrel ported, which did make it much easier to shoot.
Really nice! 450's an excellent choice+
Do you know the L.O.P by chance?

Many Thanks,

Wait, don't you already have a 500 Jeff?

I thought we've talked about this before... I may be going crazy.

Anyways, I'm an iron sight guy, so I like it, I'd run irons and be happy as a pig in sh**. Would love to see a video of you doing some quick fire, cycling and see how she runs feeding multiple rounds.

Though I understand we're discussing a hefty recoiling machine, expensive and abusive.

I do thank everyone who commented, critiqued, recommendations, etc, respectively AH!
I tossed this up to a loss, long ago... the only surface footage I've seen.

Last edited:
Inexperienced in comparison to many here, I'm always astonished the capability of this cartridge, Jesus.
I may be severely mistaken, regardless as restrictions, etc, continue in DG, It's my belief the renaissance of the "500's" may sadly become forsaken.

450-400?

A rifle that is built to the right weight, balance, and LOP in 500 J, is shootable for most, but not for everyone. If you hand load you can for sure "tailor" the recoil, any load of 535-570 gr bullet at 2200 fps will work on anything IMO, and the difference between that load and the same bullet at 2400fps is really really felt.

A rifle that is built to the right weight, balance, and LOP in 500 J, is shootable for most, but not for everyone. If you hand load you can for sure "tailor" the recoil, any load of 535-570 gr bullet at 2200 fps will work on anything IMO, and the difference between that load and the same bullet at 2400fps is really really felt.
In theory I could load the .450 up to 2500fps with 500 grain bullets, but I never do that, 2350 fps is more than enough for me.

Let us know how it handles, recoils and functions compared to your AHR 500 Jeffery!

Love my AHR 375, such a sweet rifle.

Let us know how it handles, recoils and functions compared to your AHR 500 Jeffery!

Love my AHR 375, such a sweet rifle.
Certainly will, many thanks! .. The AHR, short of it being short, it is the finest rifle I've known!

I wish Sako would use a wider/longer recoil pad on their big bore rifles. They are far too narrow and short to handle any real recoil. See this picture comparing a Sako Brown Bear on the left to a Kimber 375 with a Decelerator XL pad on the right. There really is no comparison!

20200811_181919.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelitaAu

Latest profile posts

Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,