JPbowhunter

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
G'day,

I'm moving away from taxidermy as it's becoming too expensive locally, I'm getting what will probably be one of my last done at the moment and it's the price of an NZ hunt just about. I also like that I can pick up my euros and still play around with them rather than being a static 3D photo in the case of mounts.

Anyway, I'm interested to hear ideas of what people have done with their african skins. I'd like to do a rug with something for my sons room. He currently has a springbok a friend got in africa.

I'm undecided about the eland, I think I'd struggle justifying the waste of a beautiful cape, big dewlap and brush so I may yet have that prepared to mount one day. Then again a full skin rug without the horns would show that off albeit a little odd maybe.

I'm wondering if there is anywhere in SA or Namibia that would use an eland or kudu skin to make some leather products like belts, wallets, ammo pouch, or skin products like pillows etc. Not limiting myself to these options just reeling off the top of my head. What have others done?

Don't know about vendors in SA or Namibia, but in the U.S., Murray Custom Leather in Aledo, Texas (near Dallas/Fort Worth) will make gun cases, belts, etc. out of your hides. There's probably lots of similar vendors in Africa since one sees so many products in stores, airports, etc. that are made from animal skins. You might want to look into a gun case or even have a small stool or chair upholstered with hides.

I’m having chairs covered in eland hide. Other skins make great rugs for bare feet.
A shoe bench by the door would be a perfect option for a nice skin (red hartebeest?)
I had an ostrich made into a gun case for my dad and the remaining was adapted into saddle bags for his horses.
I have a giraffe skin that I’m still trying to figure out... they are so big it is not an easy decision.

@gizmo he should chime in, he has lots of good ideas.

I asked the same question some time back on here. Saw some posts of chairs, foot stools, couches upholstered with hides. Purses and bags, gun cases made from hides, wooden case trimmed and/or lined with hides.

I'm contemplating making various types of belt pouches and possible bags, cartridge pouches and/or belts, perhaps hunting vest or jacket. Using a liner to protect the blade, make some knife sheaths.

Of course there are hides used as wall and floor coverings.

Other ideas could be blankets, moccasins, and belts.

Just a few ideas. Hope this helps.

Here's one I posted before: I had impala and blesbok purses made for my wife. I also had several pillows made for the couches and chairs in my trophy room.

Purses shown on this website:
https://debbiejohns.com/leathersmith/category/leatherwork/

Before you ask, no, I didn't pay this much for the purses. Her prices have gone way up, but there are other leathersmiths out there....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeraldineI

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!