Ideas for gifts for camp staff

I just don't get the handing out candy thing. Maybe in a really remote area, but if you are in the RSA or Namibia, do yourself a favor and go to a local store - plenty of stock on the shelves - including candy if they want to buy it. In most camps I have been in, I think I would have been perceived as condenscending to distribute that sort of thing to the staff. For instance our aged housekeeper in Omaruru has about three teeth in her head and spoke english haltingly - Just a "common" member of the help who might appreciate an American giving her a peppermint. What most wouldn't know is that she was training to be a nurse in Angola before the bush war blew up completely and fled south dodging SWAPO gunmen eventually landing a job with the camp staff as housekeeper and informal caregiver. Or my tracker Simson, a proud young Herero who was a registered tour guide with a German eco-tourist outfit, before joining Nolte's as a tracker and apprentice PH. What most of these people need are tips we bring and the salaries we generate. A personal gift as we did with Emmy and Simson are fine in conjunction with those tips. I would not, however, do candy.

I am sure many will take exception to this, but I have found the whole blue bag thing seems to be focused a little too much on the giver than the recipients.
Red Leg, exception taken.

Hi

I am going to namibia in september for 10 days, This is my first trip and looking for ideas for gifts for camp staff . things that they can use and will need that are hard for them to get. also what is the sci blue bag program thing?:confused:

Hi Merlin,
You have received many good replies to your question to gifts.
In regard to your question about the SCIF Blue Bag Program... the program is obviously not for everyone but many folks who have participated found it to be very gratifying for a number of reasons.
It's the thought that counts.
Here's a link for more info about the program; Content - Safari Club Foundation

I hope you have a wonderful safari in Namibia and look forward to a report and pics.:biggrin2:

Red Leg, exception taken.

And your exception is respected. In fairness, both my experiences with this program were negative, but that represents exactly two of the many gifts of those bags which take place each year. In each of these two cases, the folks doing the donnating had never been abroad to speak of and the ethnocentric paternalism of the whole thing just flew all over me. And truthfully, one set was donated in the Caprivi where I am sure the material went to good use, but the other went to a well appointed grade school in ranch country where I suspect the unfailingly polite teachers are still trying to figure out what to do with the stuff. I would simply make sure that my PH had a vote in appropriateness of content for the area to be hunted.

Some things I have brought for the staff, PH, trackers and familes.

Greetings all,
Some of the things I have brought with me are battery-powered fans, first-aid supplies, clothespins, pop-rock candy (that was hilarious when my tracker friends tried that stuff), of course candy just for the trackers in general, school supplies for the kiddos, hats, boxer briefs for all the staff, some of those collapsible dish cover nets (for the flies) oh and the list goes on... The best of all of course, was cash in small bills... For the kids though, don't hand-out candy. Bring pencils, erasers, small pads of paper, pens, small stuff in general but no candy. Just my opinion. I also found out how many wives each of my trackers had and purchased some pretty scarves at Ross/Marshalls for each one.. That idea went over very well I think.... Oh and please bring some air pumps for soccer balls!! Even just one with a few extra needles.. Easy to carry and very inexpensive, but priceless in the bush. I brought a lot of music on cds as well, reggae mostly.... Also easy to carry.... and much appreciated..

Hope this can help,
Jane..

Just to clarify, the mesh dish covers were not actually for the flies, but for our chefs....:p

The only gifts I've taken were strongly requested by the operator, sugar and cooking oil. That was in 2008 in Zim when you could not get these items at all. A lot of gifts will get traded for what they want anyway. It's hard to get inside the mind of an African sometimes, but a nice jacket worth a months pay is only worth what he can get for it and is essentially useless when he already has a blanket. Always check with the PH how much to tip. Exhorbitant tips can lose the PH his workforce for a few days.

No matter what you 'think' they need, they will appreciate something else. Giving gifts IMO is very Paternalistic and if it floats your boat, then sure.

Well my boat is afloat I guess...
So be it...:D, However, I must add that I am a woman therefore the proper description would be maternalistic, which I very much am. Many in Zimbabwe can tell you that for sure!!!!! I'm everybody's mother... It's a horrible trait.. sigh

We've not wandered outside RSA yet so not sure about specifics of the different areas as far as expected/respected items. As many has said, money seemed to be the most desired. $50-100 for the skinner and 10% range for the PH's. I took some hard candy on my first trip, mostly for us to suck on while driving around but they "disappeared" overnight while we were away from the vehicles.

I tipped following the tipping guide on Africahunting.com. I also took T-shirts and hats for the staff. Gifts are fine, IMO as long as they are not replacing the tip.

The tracker that I spent the most time with in Zimbabwe had pretty crummy boots. In addition to a monetary tip, I left him the boots I used on the hunt.

There are several PHs and outfitters who are members here, and I am certain they will offer advice from their perspective as well.

I notice a distinct lack of participation in this thread from PHs/outfitters. What gives?

I spoke to the PH/outfitter I'm using on my first trip to Africa (SA, Limpopo and Kalahari) and they suggested hard candy for the trackers/driver/skinner. I have no qualms about hard candy or tobacco - who am I to judge if they should be enjoying either? That strikes me as ethnocentric/paternalistic, but to each his/her own.

I completely agree that nothing says "thank you" like cash. I don't see anything wrong with a little "here's something for you" to get things started off on the right foot!

I agree that they are looking for cash first but they do appreciate gifts as well. Not sure where in Namibia you are going but it is cold in the evenings and at day break. I brought hats and knives as gifts.

http://www.buckwholesale.com/dozen-...-stocking-caps-assorted-color-snug-fit-18887/
Has knit hats as low as .45 cents a piece. I found gloves somewhere for a similar price.

http://www.buckwholesale.com/bk-caps-6-panel-mid-profile-blank-baseball-caps-green-camo-3282/
I know some countries don't like camo because it is associated with the military, Namibia is not one of those countries.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/5...rupp-stainless-steel-blade-zytel-handle-black
Sells the Cold Steel Kudu knife, for the price, it is damn good. $5,99.

To be honest they will take and be grateful for whatever you bring. Have fun and I look forward to your write up. Last note: I am not affiliated with either company.

Screen Shot 2017-03-06 at 7.13.52 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-03-06 at 7.14.04 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-03-06 at 7.14.14 PM.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I just don't get the handing out candy thing. Maybe in a really remote area, but if you are in the RSA or Namibia, do yourself a favor and go to a local store - plenty of stock on the shelves - including candy if they want to buy it. In most camps I have been in, I think I would have been perceived as condenscending to distribute that sort of thing to the staff. For instance our aged housekeeper in Omaruru has about three teeth in her head and spoke english haltingly - Just a "common" member of the help who might appreciate an American giving her a peppermint. What most wouldn't know is that she was training to be a nurse in Angola before the bush war blew up completely and fled south dodging SWAPO gunmen eventually landing a job with the camp staff as housekeeper and informal caregiver. Or my tracker Simson, a proud young Herero who was a registered tour guide with a German eco-tourist outfit, before joining Nolte's as a tracker and apprentice PH. What most of these people need are tips we bring and the salaries we generate. A personal gift as we did with Emmy and Simson are fine in conjunction with those tips. I would not, however, do candy.

I like what this says about your interest in the people you shared camp with. Respect is invaluable too. Cash is king. Candy makes a day better. Toothbrushes....Well don't ask....
@KMG Hunting Safaris

Merlin, in tha vast majority of cases, gifts, aren't really appreciated all that much. Money is what these people need, and a slightly more generous tip will mean the most to them. There are exceptions, I have a multi-year relationship with a fine tracker in Namibia, to whom I brought my old binioculars when I upgraded this past year. I knew what he was using, and knew these would be cherished (and I checked with the PH to make sure it was a good idea as well.) My spouse developed a relationship with the housekeeper of our bungalow, a tiny little woman in her fifties - who looked seventy-five, and gave her the fleece jacket she had brought along. It too was much appreciated. But these were in addition to a generous tip.

The SCI bags are a good idea if you are going to a primitive area, and if you have had good advice about what to include. However, much Namibian hunting is done in ranch country, and the schools there are pretty modern by African standards. Ranch country also has nice stores in the small towns, well stocked with SA, Euro, and American products. Again, what the staff needs is money to spend in them. I am sure many will take exception to this, but I have found the whole blue bag thing seems to be focused a little too much on the giver than the recipients. That said, if you are planning to spend two weeks in the Caprivi, then you will find very different conditions there where material aid might be more welcome.

Finally, I would work with your PH on how to handle the tips. The vast majority of these folks are very honest in apportioning tips to the staff so that all benefit - to include those with whom you have little or no contact. As noted above, I prefer to tip my tracker seperately and I have never had a PH object to that preference.

There are several PHs and outfitters who are members here, and I am certain they will offer advice from their perspective as well.
+1

I agree with those that left a larger tip for good service. Our outfitter suggested that we bring snack bars for our own use. I bought many boxes of "Kind bars" that I shared with those that did something for me. I gave my PH and my driver/tracker a "Mora" knife. Upon departure I gave my PH all of my gun cleaning supplies and equipment as well as two and a half boxes of premium ammo for his 30 -06. I am very physically challenged and my PH and tracker worked their butts off for me. I wanted to make sure that they knew how much I appreciated their efforts.

Ph usually bring brass and bullet heads that are difficult to get .. 50 470ne brass and 200 heads ...was much appreciated ..

Parts for a motorbike one year ...

Wifi booster .....

Staff cash unless something specific is asked for .....

One tracker who spoke little English wanted an Icelandic wife ...blonde not too tall ......and slim .... I saved his life and sanity by not fulfilling ....

Ohh and a rifle once for a PH ......lot of paperwork. .... firearms licencing back home when informed of its failure were told ....there was whiskey and a bet lost .......

Seemed happy with the explain

Forgiveness easier than permission me thinks

As to gifts keep the gift to CASH
It works every time

And it is best if the cash is in the local currency. A lot of the trackers, skinners, and other staff don't make it to a town where they can exchange US to the local currency. At least they can trade this between themselves or others that do get to town to buy something.

I asked my PH about knifes and he said that the tracker and skinners had the knifes that they liked to use.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idahocougs89

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!