Ideas for a single Shot Bolt Action Rifle

Ray B

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
It's a long story so let me just say I have an Interarms Mark X magnum action. In the gunsmiths attempt to open it up to fit the bottom metal and H&H length cartridges he ruined the actions ability to feed cartridges from the magazine. To correct the problem the inner sides of the rails and lower portion (magazine well) would need to have metal welded on, replacing the incorrectly removed metal, then that metal would need to be machined back to correct dimensions. Doing this without weakening the locking portion of the action requires great skill and I know no one so qualified.

So I'm left with an action highly suited to be a single shot rifle. To the original question, given a brand new Mark X action, magnum boltface, what chambering and barrel criteria should I consider? What target shooting sports would be available to such a rifle?

Maybe some kind of bench rest long range rifle maybe get in with long range guys like over at long range hunter site.i think they use 300 rum or weatherby 300-378.for 1000plus yards.u could build an ultra light hunter.like a stalking rifle.very seldom do I get a viable second shot anyway.

Reality?
Trash your action and buy a Winchester 1885 in the cartridge you like.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-02-23 at 3.46.05 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-23 at 3.46.05 PM.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 76
  • Screen Shot 2022-02-23 at 3.46.06 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-23 at 3.46.06 PM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 72
  • Screen Shot 2022-02-23 at 3.46.07 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-23 at 3.46.07 PM.png
    614.6 KB · Views: 67
  • Screen Shot 2022-02-23 at 3.46.09 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-23 at 3.46.09 PM.png
    553.8 KB · Views: 74

So I'm left with an action highly suited to be a single shot rifle. To the original question, given a brand new Mark X action, magnum boltface, what chambering and barrel criteria should I consider? What target shooting sports would be available to such a rifle?

Would .375 Cheytac or similar work? If so, you can get into 2 mile+ competitions.

Reality?
Or a #1 Ruger, both terrific rifles.

Get somebody to make a alloy single shot fowoller insert for the mag box & go with a full length 30 cal mag, 300 win, Rem ultra mag, or what ever you like & have a long range knock em down rifle. And may be stock it with out the original bottom metal & use a Rem ADL or a Savage trigger guard & an steel pillar type spacer insert for the front screw.May be you can even buy a M98 single shot adapter?

Last edited:
Thanks for all of the ideas. The rifle is currently chambered for 300 Weatherby. I've developed a plan. First, I've purchased the FN offered on this site. When pmt clears it will be sent to a gunsmith that is qualified to make the swap. a review of the Mark X shows that cartridges will feed from the left rail (even numbered cartridges in the magazine). Cartridges from the right rail will only feed if the cartridge is pushed slightly to the left. the same bullet point position could be accomplished by having a cartridge with a larger diameter shoulder. So when we get to that point the gunsmith will check other cartridges for possible feeding: the 375 Ruger comes to mind, or possibly one of the Dakota/404 Jeffery family. I may be recovering from the shoddy workmanship by obtaining another rifle- what's not to like about that?

Firing pin operates at an angle to the barrel and chamber axis. May or may not be an issue, in a longer range rifle, dependent upon accuracy expectations.
I have 5 of them and all are nicely accurate enough to make me happy. They will all with good hand loads shoot 1" groups at 100yds and 3 of them will do a bit better if I do my part.

"Gunsmith?" LOL Fire him and get a Granite Mtn. Arms action (have smithson or breeding do what you wish). Maybe make the other one into a #4 bore in-line muzzleloader to honor the first safari hunters in Africa that destroyed their bodies firing 'em! Luckily complete Mark X guns cost <$1K.

Reality?
@crs
Didn't know do may iterations of the 1885 existed. We got none in Australia that I know of.
I love them for their pure simplicity and accuracy
Would love one to put my 25 on with a 28 inch octagonal barrel.
Bob

I'm with @Rell on this one...don't waste more resources on this action.

Glad to hear you are starting with a FN action. 375RUGER is a good cartridge. Any of the 375's in truth are awesome. Pick what you want and build it. Hope you have better luck with a different gunsmith.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ekaterina Lobach North Fork Bullets

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!